Posted: Mar 3rd 2011 1:58PM Halfcentaur said

I am so excited about this game. Playing action RPGs in coop with my friends was always one of my all time favorite and anticipated activities in the 90s and early 2000s. Heretic 2 and Rune and Blade of Darkness. Nothing beats slowly walking down a torch lit tunnel with a real friend at your side, when suddenly a goblin or skeleton leaps out and your reflexes and your aim decided what happens, not a random number generator or prerecorded combat animation. I've been waiting for over 10 years now for action combat to merge with the depth and massive open world of a MMORPGs. WoW's major success I think is owed to approaching just that, they made an MMO where actually basic movement and jumping was fun to do with your character, along with fast paced combat that has you actually strafing and running. With the lush world environment that avoided giving us vast open space with the same basic tree model repreated in seemingly randomly generated terrain. I think TERA is realizing something that's going to really shake up the industry if they do things right. Little attentions to fluff for immersion, fun responsive movement, and the thrill of cutting off something's head with your own sense of control, all with friends at your side timing their flips and sword strikes together. Hopefully the attacks are more akin to Blade of Darkness or Tekken 2 dare I say, than just mashing a hack button. So far, I've seen some great examples of combat and AI with enemy patterns and tactics.

If they don't get it down, at least the idea has been let out of the bag finally. With todays internet connections and CPU power, there's no need to rely on random RPG combat generators, no longer do we have to watch things done for us that we could control ourself. I can't wait to see the games to come in the next decade.

Posted: Mar 3rd 2011 2:00PM Germaximus said

Cant freakin wait for this game. I just keep hoping it doesnt get destroyed by westernization.

Posted: Mar 3rd 2011 2:15PM semajin said

• 1 heart
@Germaximus I wouldn't worry about the "westernization" they're planning for this game. The guy was obviously skirting that particular issue, mentioning only a couple of awfully minor details about what it meant, and giving the same slippery nonsense answer about catering to "us".

Posted: Mar 3rd 2011 3:01PM kgptzac said

what is better than to have to westernized would be a game that doesn't need this complication. it looks like many major changes will be made... I hope the beta comes out sooner so we can see the game ourselves

Posted: Mar 3rd 2011 3:25PM saudrapsmann said

Definitely pumped for this and GW2! I'm a little worried about the westernization also but I'm sure it'll be fine. If from an art style point of view things change too much I can always dump in Korean textures. Not too worried about that specifically. I do hope that the story isn't much affected. I don't want to hear about how Space Marine X saves the galaxy in his spaceship with bitches. Or the same recycled storyline WoW gets about people going crazy and then dragons stopping them. I want the authentic, awesome storytelling that seems to only come out of Asia, anything that can match up to the complete EPIC that was FFXI's storyline.

Posted: Mar 3rd 2011 3:29PM Anciegher said

Very excited for this game, I just hope it is released in 2011 :)

Posted: Mar 3rd 2011 3:34PM (Unverified) said

"Then there's also art and style. We have one of the more controversial races, the Elin, which is the cute little girl, so we're going to be modifying the art on that to make it more appealing to the Western audience."

Wait. What? I'm okay with their "westernization" thingy, but seriously who are they to change the art of a whole race and make it "more appealing" for us? They really should keep the same art, and maybe consult the players with a poll to decide to change it or not, but if they really go on with it I'll be really, really disappointed.

EnMasse, the art is fine, focus on important things like no grinding.

Posted: Mar 3rd 2011 4:15PM Germaximus said

@(Unverified) Yeah i never understand this westernization bullcrap.
When i see these korean games they look amazing as they are, its what i want just translated. But instead they find the need to change everything which just ruins the game and makes it something else.
WTF?

Posted: Mar 3rd 2011 4:21PM Halfcentaur said

@(Unverified) Ya know, grinding isn't so bad when it's you actually slashing your way through hordes of enemies, it's basically what you do in action games, grind through waves of things with a story to give you context. The grind is more of a grind when you're hitting a " rotation", but now we will be running and flipping and jumping and using dynamic tactics, which makes the grind sort of another thing altogether I'd think.

Posted: Mar 3rd 2011 4:29PM Germaximus said

@Halfcentaur Thats why i love DCUO. ;p

Posted: Mar 3rd 2011 5:26PM paterah said

@(Unverified) It might just be me, but I thought people were actually complaining about all this fluff stuff that is in korean games (especially TERA since it's one of the most popular in the west) and is what I got from all the comments I've been reading about this game from the previous articles. So what are you trying to say here now?

Posted: Mar 3rd 2011 5:29PM Nenene said

• 1 heart
@(Unverified)

Thank God they're fixing them. They were creepy.

The bump and grind casting animation and fetish armor were bad enough without putting them on little girl-looking models.

Good call IMO.

Posted: Mar 3rd 2011 5:32PM Utakata said

• 1 heart
@(Unverified)

All they need to to with the Elin is modify their clothing so it's far less lolicon. Because they way it is now...it's really really creepy. Other than that...the Elin look great.

Posted: Mar 3rd 2011 6:15PM Somnicide said

• 1 heart
@Nenene That specific casting animation is only on three specific skills (Hellfire, Sleeping Wind, Blast Ball) of one class (sorcerer), one gender and for two total races: Castanic and High Elf. Thats it. None of the other race/class combinations have that animation. I dont understand why everyone complains about casting animations.

This is the Elin casting animation. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5GUZ1pxj4l4#t=0m33s It's actually quite badass.

That said, I'm still glad their art is being changed.

Posted: Mar 3rd 2011 7:01PM Jade Effect said

Oh great, another example of overly sensitive Western people causing a game to censor its art direction.

Posted: Mar 4th 2011 2:35AM Yanderekko said

• 1 heart

Wow. Well, that's one upcoming MMO I can knock off my list.

Posted: Mar 7th 2011 3:21AM saudrapsmann said

@Yanderekko

It's because the current version is illegal in the UK. Odds are they'll just have pants.

Posted: Mar 7th 2011 6:35AM Brockobama321 said

If they change the Elin I'm out.

Posted: Mar 7th 2011 8:04PM Germaximus said

"People play the game differently in Korea than they play the game here. A lot of that has to do with the social situation; they're at cafes and we're all at home by ourselves, and that affects the gameplay in a pretty big way. Then there's also art and style. We have one of the more controversial races, the Elin, which is the cute little girl, so we're going to be modifying the art on that to make it more appealing to the Western audience."

I dont understand this view point. I dont want your typical american game, thats the freakin point!
These games look great then they bring them here and change them to some stupid bullcrap.