Posted: Mar 2nd 2011 10:26AM Ryn said

My bank does this. You have to add a certain computer to your list to access your account. I think this is long overdue. More gaming companies need to come forward with security solutions like this. This is not bullet proof, but a start. I'm not an NCSoft fan, but I like what they are doing with this. Considering what has happened recently, Turbine could take note of this.

Posted: Mar 2nd 2011 11:04AM urgan said

I know more than a few paying customers who are less than pleased with this decision and are cancelling their accounts. It is a HUGE pain to be unable to use your account when you need it because you are locked out for some unknown reason and it takes forever to contact their support department.

Posted: Mar 2nd 2011 11:22AM Thac0 said

@urgan yup i have not been able to recover my Guild Wars account since i dont have my CC# from 5 years ago, don't an old key from CoH i have on that account or remember my characters names... Like they need to make it even harder to play their games!

Posted: Mar 2nd 2011 12:08PM Yarr said

@Thac0

I've seen you mention this before on other blogs and such, but is it really NCSoft's fault that you apparently have no proof of ownership? You threw away the game keycodes? You didn't write down your email and password anyplace? You don't have any screen-shots or remember any character names? You've thrown away all your credit card information? Heck, your credit report usually has info on all your cards going back ten years, mine has cards I've long since stopped using from even before that. Any chance you have an old bill with the card number on it or statements? Check with the CC company (if you remember it) as they might be able to help you.

If you have no way of proving you own the account because you threw away everything related to it, why should NCSoft give you access to it? Honestly, I hope you can find something that would help you out here, but this is your fault for not keeping some basic stuff you should have. Maybe search your old emails for any info or mention of a character name? Maybe something from a forum account post or item auction site, that might have your character name? Best of luck on finding something!

Posted: Mar 2nd 2011 12:09PM Ryn said

The drawbacks that Urgan mentions are something for NCsoft to think about. I really like Blizzards authenticator. My bank has this same kind of account protection, and it works for me cause I only access my account from a couple of computers, but I could see where it would cause trouble.

Posted: Mar 2nd 2011 12:28PM Dumac said

It seems that it identifies the computer by IP... I am on a dynamic IP that changes occasionally, my ISP charges extra for a static IP, so this could prove an inconvenience for me, but ok whatever.

Does this affect in-game login attempts too, or just the master account thing on their website?

Posted: Mar 3rd 2011 9:06AM Lorell said

@Dumac It seems it affect only Master Acc page, not logging into game.

@Yarr I have dynamic IP as well, I'm sure it can be painful to a lot of ppl, tho I don't have a problem in writing two additional words every 2-4 weeks then I need to add prepaid to my account or apply in-game items... Even if you can't add your computer to "safe list" due to dynamic IP, it shouldn't be a problem unless you use your Master Acc few time a day ;)

But I'm sorry to all ppl who have chosen and answered these questions randomly and now they don't remember that they written, big letters, small ones, random latters... ect...

Posted: Mar 3rd 2011 9:11AM fodder650 said

@Dumac There not looking at the full IP. They will be looking down through first two to three (my network training is failing me here for terminology) sets of numbers. This identifies your ISP and country. Which is what they are interested in.

So

192.168.1.15 (yes its a local address)
they would be looking at
192.168.X.X knowing your a Fodder ISP user from the US

Posted: Mar 2nd 2011 1:13PM Yarr said

I wonder how they will handle dynamic IP addresses?

Just updated my account and it is only for the master NCSoft account as far as I can tell. Definitely a step in the right direction, assuming they don't mess things up for players with poor support when there is a problem. Now they just need to add recovery support for anyone that does get hacked, as it just isn't right you lose everything, even have characters deleted, when they have all that info available in their database backups, but just can't be bothered to restore stuff.

I've dealt with NCSoft support (for Aion) twice over the last two days and got a useful reply (not just an automated one) in under an hour both times, so I hope that means they've greatly improved things on that front. It used to take at least a day or two the last time I contacted them.

Posted: Mar 3rd 2011 9:42AM Dumac said

ISP and country seems too broad to me, but ok.

Posted: Mar 3rd 2011 9:44AM Dumac said

@Dumac
Interesting, that was supposed to be in reply to fodder650 (from the link you get in your email on a reply)

Posted: Mar 3rd 2011 1:39PM Daemodand said

It surprised me they were using the questions/answers people filled out as much as 7 years ago, rather than have people provide new questions and answers. Fortunately for me, I still remembered the answer to the question I set some 6ish years ago.

Make My MMO: December 14 - 20, 2014