Posted: Mar 2nd 2011 8:37PM Dunraven said

• 1 heart
why does SOE have to keep trying to WoWitize Norrath? I honestly despise this game now.

Posted: Mar 2nd 2011 8:41PM UrkenInvader said

@Dunraven So Blizzard has a monopoly on mini-games now?

Posted: Mar 2nd 2011 9:45PM Saker said

They've been Wowifying since pretty much day 1. For awhile it wasn't too bad, but yes I have to agree they've gone too far with making E-Z-Norath. I got bored-to-tears with EQ2 with the TSO expansion, haven't been able to find fun in it since. Here's hope that the EQNext will be something better!

Posted: Mar 3rd 2011 3:16AM hami83 said

@Saker Does that logic work? You know, since WoW was an EQ clone.

So if WoW is an EQ clone, and EQ2 is trying to be like WoW, isn't it technically trying to be more EQ then before?

Also I'm sure there was other online MMOs before EQ.

Posted: Mar 3rd 2011 8:57AM AlienFanatic said

@hami83

I'm not sure why folks are giving your remark a +. EQ wasn't the first graphical MMO. I believe that distinction went to Ultima Online. Before either, there were text-based MUDs. But EQ was almost certainly the first 3D MMO. It was the first MMO, I believe, to use instancing (LDON). It was, I believe, the first game to introduce a grouping tool. It was the first MMO to introduce many of the conventions that WOW would later greatly refine.

However, WOW introduced many NEW concepts that EQ players had not necessarily agreed with. An increased emphasis on solo play. An increased emphasis on gear. An actual reduction of variety (there are more unique roles and classes in EQ than in WOW). Reduction of penalties. More hand-holding. Smaller zones. Faster travel times. Quest hubs and kill counts.

WOW was/is vastly easier than the original Everquest. Some would call that a huge bonus, while others would disagree. Many players who moved on from EQ to EQ2 did so for a variety of reasons, including the fact that they liked the game's perceived difficulty vs. WoW's. I admit that I much prefer EQ's class system, fantasy setting, and world than I do WOW's, even though I ultimately played WOW instead. (That was mainly due to my perceptions that EQ's client was a horrible resource hog and that the graphics were just not very attractive at all.)

I can understand how someone who wanted to avoid the WOW model for EZ-mode MMO's, along with their immature and irritating communities, might want to preserve what they had. When the company begins to undermine that, I'm not surprised that they're disappointed. EQ needn't have become a WOW clone, because then why not just play WOW instead? (Of course, RIFT is proving it patently clear that people are dead sick of WOW so much that they're willing to play a game that is its spiritual cousin.)

Posted: Mar 3rd 2011 7:43PM Joystiq Login Bugs SUCK said

This event ended at 10am PST. I believe that is about 7 hours before this article was published.

Too late!

It was a lot of fun though. Let's hope it goes into Tinkerfest.

Posted: Mar 3rd 2011 9:12AM Dblade said

I have to agree, this is beyond WoWizing, this is FreeRealms-izing. I can't see how this fits in the Norrath setting at all.

Posted: Mar 3rd 2011 10:57AM spodi said

think of it as a precursor to Tinkerfest.
I took part in the event this past Tuesday, it was a good diversion from the AA grind / raid antics. cant wait to try it out again on Friday.

Posted: Mar 3rd 2011 7:18PM Xii said

There were already airships and flying discs in the game for a long time. I don't see how a one day event with more flying discs really changes anything.