Posted: Mar 2nd 2011 2:23PM aurickle said

Another way in which this game is social-friendly has to do with quest objectives. There are many times when you need to activate a certain item only to see your quest advance because the guy just ahead of you got there first -- even though you're not grouped with him.

Another example is if you need to kill a certain mob and somebody else has already tagged it. In other games you have to wait for the respawn, and maybe help out with this kill just so that can happen sooner. In Rift, simply target that person and click the "Join Group" icon above his portrait. Help with the fight, you both get credit, and away you go.

Posted: Mar 2nd 2011 6:42PM Integral said

@aurickle

yeah, it amazes me that more MMOs foster such an antisocial environment. So far the community in Rift seems generally pretty helpful because people know the game will recognize that they're helping.

Posted: Mar 2nd 2011 7:05PM eyeball2452 said

@Integral

Right on. It's really quite incredible how awesome the community has been. Grouping very natural and fun when the game structure and systems support it.

One of the nice things is that you also get a group bonus to xp gain rather than (like most MMOs) being penalized for being in a group.

I very much enjoyed the article because it was spot on with what my experience has been in game too. By far, I've enjoyed Rift hunting the most and love love how PvE is very dynamic. Disruptions to questing, imo, is a good thing and I can't get enough of it.

Posted: Mar 3rd 2011 5:19AM BGExorcist said

• Half a heart
@aurickle
Yeah, you can spot a sucker fighting a quest mob, see he has open party, wait for it before he delivers the last blow and ninja join party, complete and leave in less than 5 secs. Way more social then actually talking to the guy about grouping. Really as far as social, this is the worst implementation I've seen in a game. And in invasions it doesnt really matter if you click the join group button, I dont bother, better not have my half display covered in raid group health bars :D.

Posted: Mar 3rd 2011 8:17AM Snichy said

@BGExorcist. That behaviour says more about the un-sociable attitude of the person trying get a free ride rather than the social aspect of the game.

Posted: Mar 3rd 2011 11:00AM BGExorcist said

• Half a heart
@Snichy
I wonder why replies inspired by how things are, are downvoted. But people that recite the marketing speach of the devs are not :). And yes the thing I describe happens ALOT, believe it or not.

Posted: Mar 3rd 2011 12:59PM (Unverified) said

@BGExorcist

At the lower levels being part of a group doesn't make a huge difference, but speaking as a healer, it's a whole lot easier to heal and buff when you can see the health bars of the people around you. You might want to reconsider joining groups for Rifts as you get into the more challenging content. This is especially true for souls like the bard. They simply cannot heal anyone they're not grouped with.

Posted: Mar 2nd 2011 2:26PM preciousj said

Massively guild is going to be on Defiant Wolfbane, yes? Looking forward to it!

Posted: Mar 2nd 2011 2:29PM SocksForYou said

Best mmo launch in forever. Biggest problem was too many people wanting to play, which says a lot considering how many companies release half-finished games that need months of fixing and basic feature additions post-launch.

Posted: Mar 3rd 2011 12:17AM Space Cobra said

@SocksForYou

I would say best launch for the majority. I had no problems during Beta and Headstart Thursday, but a patch introduced Friday killed the game for me and a few others (we posted on the Tech forums). Couldn't log in and play for any length of time personally (but some got in 10 minutes of play...and others couldn't look at Rifts). Something to do with Crossfire and video throttling.

Annoying that this wasn't addressed for me, but I know everyone else had fun. Still not sure if this was addressed afterwards; I am not in a hurry to get back in, because my character is pretty low level atm.

Posted: Mar 2nd 2011 2:34PM (Unverified) said

There game is near flawless, the action is tasty, but some of the players need a course in manners.
I'm seeing insults fly in chat for the smallest of comments, I see quest ninja's stealing kills and artifacts, no courtesy, no honor...

When I asked a question in chat during the beta players were helpful, fun... a sense of "Thanks!", now... ask a question and get 15 "Barrens chat" responses, and if you challenge them on being rude another 15 join in the attack on you. This is just bad for game.
There is little anyone can do about rude, self-centered players, but it can ruin a game, and if these players don't get it together and stop acting like the the game and other players owe them everything they demand and seem to covet, if they don't understand other players have feelings and play to have fun, not be the brunt of 20 insults for a simple question, the game will suffer as civilized players flee to another game.

It might be the server, it might be opening week, it might be the kids home from school early, no matter... it has a very bad effect on those that don't like being treated like a some fat kid in school yard. (sorry fat kids)

Posted: Mar 2nd 2011 2:54PM Caliber said

@(Unverified)

I can't say I've had the chat problems on Freeholme. Of course there are trolls, but I didn't notice anyone being lambasted for asking questions.

Posted: Mar 3rd 2011 11:39AM Crestfallen said

@(Unverified)
The Faeblight server has a queue for a reason. The people there are excellent. Proud to be a part of that community. In a way, I've grateful for the queue times because it keeps the trolls and rage quitters out. ;)

Posted: Mar 2nd 2011 2:39PM (Unverified) said

I am totally blown away by the launch. 4 months ago I had never even heard of Rift - Trion deserves all the success that comes to them.

Even if this serves as the MMO I play while waiting for GW2/TOR, that's okay, I'm very please with my experience so far.

Posted: Mar 2nd 2011 3:04PM Meagen said

I have heard people complaining about "kill stealers/ninja looters" during rift events.

Posted: Mar 2nd 2011 3:24PM Platypus Man said

Sever queues aside -- which most people agree are is ust one of the things that sometimes happens when you jump into a game at launch -- RIFT is having one of the smoothest launches I've experienced.

Also, the game is fun. I know folks are decrying the lack of innovation, but honestly, I don't need a better mousetrap. I just need one that works. This works. Well.

Posted: Mar 2nd 2011 4:14PM mifuneseven said

Excuse me but I am abit confused, how exactly do you steal a kill or ninja during a rift? The mobs are open to everyone and the loot is awarded based on participation. I gotta be missing something.

Posted: Mar 2nd 2011 4:39PM Boruk said

@mifuneseven some Rifts I have jumped in, the loot was free for all. So somebody could basically just join in and just lot stuff and not help out.
As long as players learn to look for this and change settings at start, I don't see it as being a big issue later on.

Posted: Mar 2nd 2011 5:25PM JoolaPrime said

@mifuneseven aside from being rewarded at the end of a Rift event the rift mobs you kill can drop loot like any normal mob.
b/c rift events have a high level of intensity its easy to miss a cheeky leader switching loot modes and then collecting everything.
ninja looters exist in every MMO, just comes with the territory - for the most part drops from Rifts aren't worth the time in the first place, its better to put the effort in for greater rewards at the end.

Posted: Mar 2nd 2011 4:28PM lmollea said

I had not the chance to log into whitefall/EU until late evening (EU time). 3500 people in queue.
I was in all the betas and can't say enough how much polished and solid Rift is.
Yes, one of my friend complained that the games smells so much of deja vu and doesn't leave you screaming, but it's good. Very good.

Anyway, my only concern is that with current technologies, MMO gaming companies don't approach the character and login process a-la Runescape: single character database shared by all the shards.
I think we have the technology to do it.

Make My MMO: September 14 - 20, 2014

Posted on Sep 20th 2014 6:00PM

Perfect Ten: Terrible, terrible MMO names

Posted on Sep 20th 2014 3:00PM

The Stream Team: Anchors aweigh in ArcheAge!

Posted on Sep 20th 2014 1:00PM