Posted: Mar 1st 2011 8:21AM J Brad Hicks said

Oh, dear Crahn, don't show me screenshots from Neocron 1. I miss that game so much it hurts, sometimes. But in memory of that:

I was the first person, and as far as I know the last, in the history of that game to successfully politic the developers into changing part of the storyline. During Neocron 1, my faction, the Tsunami Syndicate, were the masters of the red-light district in Pepper Park; between Neocron 1 and 2, we were exiled into the wasteland to squat in a ruined and radioactive domed city.

About a year into Neocron 2, as the elected Tsunami Syndicate representative on the player events council, I successfully politicked the devs into giving the Tsunami Syndicate, on our server, an actual "covert headquarters," a clan apartment, back in our old neighborhood, to run events out of. It was a blast.

Man, I miss Neocron. Worst waste of beautiful art assets in the history of the MMO genre. It's a sin and a shame that they not only shipped it before it was done (you could literally see the point in the game at which they ran out of money), but when they did have some additional investment to throw at it for Neocron 2, instead of finishing the near-perfect game they had, they took it in an entirely different direction and wrecked it.

Posted: Mar 1st 2011 8:34AM Dianoga4 said

I've read a few times that Neocron 2 is free to play now but I've tried going there to check it out and it seems it's only free to play to people who had accounts from when it was pay to play. Is that how it is or am I looking at some wrong info?

Posted: Mar 1st 2011 9:33AM Taurmin said

@Dianoga4

It is not, it was briefly, but not by any choice of the developers but rather because all payment providers cut service when Reakktor's parent company filed for bankruptcy. It became pay to play again once they found new providers.

Posted: Mar 1st 2011 7:26PM Dianoga4 said

@Taurmin Ah ok, thanks for clearing that up. Maybe if they did make it free to play they would see more people playing. I went to the forums the other day and it seemed that there was little activity in the game.

Posted: Mar 2nd 2011 5:19AM Taurmin said

@Dianoga4

For all intents and purposes the game is dead. Even though KK will not admit it everything indicates that development and maintenance of Neocron was completely abandoned once work on Black Prophecy started picking up speed. Current developer involvement with the game consists of keeping the servers plugged in,

Which is somehow worse than actually shutting it down.

Posted: Mar 2nd 2011 9:59PM Dianoga4 said

@Taurmin That kinda reminds me of the final few months in The Chronicles of Spellborn, Acclaim was basically just keeping the servers on....but barely. Anyways again thanks for the info, it's too bad games have to end like that.

Posted: Mar 1st 2011 8:42AM Grendel said

Afaik I was the first (and only) one in Ultime Online walking around nearly naked with just a candle in my hand singing: "This little light of miiiiine, I'm gonna let it shiiiine."
Aw man, what fun we had ...

Posted: Mar 1st 2011 8:46AM koehler83 said

Probably my first exp party in FFXI way back in 2003. Mostly English Speaking Japanese players and a couple green North Americans including myself.

They really took us under their wings and showed us the ropes, as the community tends to do in FFXI. Something I've never experienced in any other MMO. Every game since has been a "Leave me alone, I'm soloing" affair.

Posted: Mar 1st 2011 9:15AM Oskiee said

First Veal kill in BWL back in Vanilla WoW. I was (and always will be) a pally healer back then, there was me a hunter and a rogue left when he went down. Biggest adrenaline rush of my gaming life.

Posted: Mar 1st 2011 9:21AM (Unverified) said

Beta Testing Anarchy Online! Taking my agent "Thesneak" through Rome to Temple of the Three Winds to try and collect rare gear. Spending 14 strait hours trying to complete my "Enhanced Pads of Dedication" a feat that took my best friend 3 months to achieve!

Posted: Mar 2nd 2011 12:01PM invisibletomato said

@(Unverified) Calling bull. TOTW didn't come in until 14.7.8, waaay after the beta. http://www.gamershell.com/news_5778.html

Posted: Mar 1st 2011 10:12AM Nandini said

My most memorable first was beta testing an MMO and reporting a bug that was affecting the company's "live" accounting systems. I saved the company thousands or tens of thousands of dollars, and they gave me a $10 credit as a reward.

Posted: Mar 1st 2011 10:48AM drakon said

I got two server firsts in Rift (Faeblight). Yes it was stupid minor green gear in the starting zone, but still...

Posted: Mar 1st 2011 10:53AM Darkdust said

Okay, so if cyber is off the table...

LOL!

Anyway, I remember when SWG released the space collections and I got server first for the rogue droid collections on Starsider, a heavy space server. Stayed up all night and nearly got RSI but it was sooo worth it.

Posted: Mar 1st 2011 11:24AM Haldurson said

First for me, not game...
I was a long-time EQ player used to long and hazardous trips to get anywhere in the game. Started playing CoH... I first got Hover, and then Flight. When I got it, I spent over an hour just playing, hovering everywhere, trying to catch the blimp, etc. It was similar when I first got Superjump in the game -- people musta thought I was nuts, jumping all over the place, without a destination in mind, seeing if I could get to the top of really tall buildings, if I was able to "leap tall buildings in a single" or even multiple "....bounds".

Nowadays, there are three big superhero games, so many of us take travel for granted, but back then, it was a HUGE thing to me.

Posted: Mar 1st 2011 11:27AM (Unverified) said

When I think of MMO Firsts, I think of the first time I bothered trying to play an MMO (though I'd played MUDs plenty enough, before). That game was Anarchy Online, which I started playing the day it launched.

It was easily the worst MMO launch I had ever experienced. Possibly the worst game launch I've ever experienced. It was unplayable. Even three weeks into the launch, you could not play it. You could login. You could be in-world. You just couldn't over come the literally one-frame-per-three-seconds frame rate and actually be able to play the game.

By the end of the three weeks, I gave up and sent the game back to Amazon.com for a full refund. I never expect an MMO to be perfect at launch. I do expect to at least be able to play it a *little* at some point in the first month, though.

I understand that it went on to be fairly well regarded, though not particularly popular, over the following years. I could never bring myself back to play it again, though. The main appeal at the time was the whole sci-fi angle of it.

Posted: Mar 1st 2011 11:56AM Ohhlaawd said

I've got a couple... first time my old WoW guild killed Chrommagus only two of us survived. That was one of the loudest vent explosions I can remember.

And my first house in Ultima Online. I saved for weeks and bought a small stone and plaster house that I placed in between Minoc and Vesper. I think I lost the keys to it within 3 days, but it was so cool to be able to alter the landscape like that. Ahhh nostalgia... :)

Posted: Mar 1st 2011 1:11PM Myopic Aardvark said

First time I entered Atlas Park and that theme played overhead. My first MMO and my goodness, was that a grand "entrance".

I look back on that game with fond memories and still view it as the standard that other MMOs have to meet or even surpass.

Posted: Mar 1st 2011 3:51PM Chiren said

There are only two points in which this music plays in FFXI: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2sag9hIVICM

And the first time for each of those times was the most awesome epic super story times ever.

Then came the constant failing in those encounters (especially the first one!)... but we finally got our gimpy butts through it, and it was awesome. :D

Posted: Mar 1st 2011 5:36PM Clemalum07 said

First time my Guild Killed Rag in WoW when raids were actually challenging.