Posted: Feb 27th 2011 12:31PM Dunraven said

CoH must still be doing well since we haven't seen a F2P model from them yet, but I can't help but wonder how many more people would e playing should they decide to go that way.

Posted: Feb 27th 2011 1:04PM Altruist said

Population is fine, at least on Champion server. I can get a TF team together in about 10mins at almost any time of day. The Global Chat system is one of their best innovations, to be honest.

Posted: Feb 27th 2011 1:21PM fauxcivility said

Can't believe CoH and CoV is still going strong. Definitely don't consider them mainstream MMOs and yet they're apparently turning a profit.

Posted: Feb 28th 2011 12:40PM StClair said

@fauxcivility : Coming up on seven years, yup. It doesn't have WoW numbers, but then, no one does (except WoW). Probably helps that we got rid of the first lead developer and his "vision."

To everyone who asks "isn't it F2P yet?" - no, and I hope it never goes there. IMO, F2P is the domain of struggling games, extortionate cash shops, and rude tourists with short attention spas. If you want all that and super heroes, hey, CO is right over there. I note that DCUO is subscription - gosh, wonder why.

Posted: Feb 27th 2011 1:50PM CitizenH said

Let's hope this one goes over better.
The reception of the first Trial, the BAF, was lukewarm at best.

It's fairly punishing compared to the rest of the game. It's no harder than the Hamidon raid that's been in the game forever that people have mastered a strategy for, but the devs seem to overlook the fact the vast majority of the population *doesn't go* on Hamidon raids.

CoH is very stratified in that there's a handful of vocal players who have expensive builds and run the harder content like the STF regularly because for them it's easy. Then there's the majority who are, for the most part, still using SOs or common IO enhancers, have never run a Hamidon in several years of playing and who's experience of the STF is that of failing spectacularly.

CoH doesn't have much of a "hardcore raid community", and there's more than a few people who are happy about that and don't want it to.

Myself, I'm not sure all this work towards content to cater to a small niche of players is a smart move. Time will tell, but by then it's too late and they'll have another Shadow Shard or PvP system on their hands.

Posted: Feb 27th 2011 5:27PM Raithnor said

@CitizenH

I can say from personal experience that the IO build matters less than the willingness to follow a coherent plan and have a good mix of people on the team.

So long as you realize the average "Tank and Spank" tactics will not work and you're willing to pick yourself up after a team wipe. The amount you spend for IOs matters a lot less than knowing how to run the raid. I've beaten STF with an SO character and I've had the team give up when I've been on my best IO set/HO character.

It's one of the reason I got into City of Heroes, the game wasn't as loot focused as other MMOs were.

I was there are one of the BAF tests and the only part of it that was really troublesome was the escaping prisoners section. I personally thought the prisoners were a little too hard to take down, but that's just me.

Posted: Feb 27th 2011 5:22PM (Unverified) said

The idea for these more difficult trials and task forces is to offer a challenge for people who are opening up the incarnate slots. The "standard" task forces aren't going to really be anything of a fight once people are fighting at levels equivalent to 53 or 54.

Posted: Feb 27th 2011 10:27PM Sam not Spam said

As a long-time player I have to say that I see this expansion of play-styles being necessary, if not for growth, then to maintain current levels. The simple fact is that while many of us long-timers have avoided other games because of these types of activities, we're not the only type of player out there. Diversifying what can be done in City of Heroes is important for the long term health of the game. Certainly, many of my SG are interested in these new trials, and have even begun playing the RWZ Mothership raid with i19, enjoying it quite a bit.

As for F2P - its no guarantee of long-term success. Certainly, significantly older games are doing fine (ie, up, running, and assumedly profitable) without moving to F2P. And, of course, its worth mentioning that even F2P games fail! F2P isn't the end-all, be-all way to do things.

Global Chat: Blaugust triumphant