Posted: Mar 1st 2011 7:13PM PiOmega said

@(Unverified) quote: "despite one of the criticisms above"

Hey I'm just saying that for someone on the outside, and a new player to boot, considering on joining ranks based on firsthand experience of the corp in action such as with an event, scheduling a war (as I was told it was by members) seems to put a damper on that as all other public offered events are canceled. You could say what does that matter? But I have been in enough really bad Guilds/PA's to know better than to just blindly join one, as such is your statement by example: "we were experiencing none of the benefits while suffering many of the detriments of being in a player owned corporation".

When I join a group, I bring something to that group most times, but why waste my time if the group really does not care? Not saying MOB didn't, but how is someone able to determine the caliber of a group without availability to participate in some way beforehand? Scheduling a war for a PvP group as yours may be of benefit, but from what I read about this corp and what sort of events and participants they were seeking after, scheduling a war event seems to pretty much break everything else, and for weeks as it did. *shrugs*

Posted: Mar 1st 2011 7:15PM Brendan Drain said

@PiOmega The war was not scheduled or an event. It's what happens when you look like a 200-man corp full of newbies -- someone decides to spend 50-150 million ISK per month or more to declare war on you in the hopes of getting some easy kills. It was not a desirable thing to happen to the corp.

Posted: Mar 2nd 2011 9:01PM PiOmega said

@Brendan Drain
Ok, thanks for clearing that up, Brendan. I guess there was just a lot of propaganda/disinformation happening in the massively channel.

Posted: Mar 1st 2011 11:13PM Caledoni said

I'm glad we're heading in a new direction as I was getting pretty frustrated dodging war targets while running PVE content. I've been around long enough that a high sec war is no big deal, but to the new players it was ruining the game. Nobody likes to be ganked in hi sec - especially when you don't understand the mechanics. I've been ganked and deserved it, but most of the mobsters didn't have any idea what they were doing wrong - despite Nimloth and CH's efforts.

Those are players that may have quit more than the Mob; they may have quit the game entirely. And that sucks, because I've been there. Anyway, hopefully the new Corps and their associated directors can right this ship before it swamps and I'm back in Deep Core Mining. Dynamic is off to a great start and hopefully Motivated will be on its way soon.

Posted: Mar 2nd 2011 4:54AM (Unverified) said

As a former member of Massively Mob I found this a very interesting read.

My biggest frustration was the lack of direction the corp appeared to have. After the first corp meeting it was clear that there were two groups emerging, both wanting to go in different directions, and Brendan's absence left a kind of power vacuum.

Reading this, it makes more sense now, and I'm glad to see that the Massively is getting back on track.

Posted: Mar 14th 2011 7:42PM eveuser804 said

Everyone has a different take on events that happened.

Massively did grow quickly but then seemed to lack some focus.

The wardec'd certainly seemed to kill the corp. Not in the way most people think, yes people left, and people couldn't play for a while. But the bigger issue, by splitting the one corp into 3, it has left the people in the massively mob corp almost in a ghost corp.

This was such a bad decision. There is never anyone online, anymore.

Perhaps it would have been better to discuss such a major change to the corp before doing it.

Best of luck with the 3 smaller corps.

Posted: Mar 2nd 2011 2:36PM Communist Hunter said

Very good article Brendan and I hope some of the enterprising CEOs out there learn something for our collective mistakes.

I would like to reinforce that it is vital to not give high-sec war dec corps like Warsmiths easy kills because it only encourages them. If you are the leader(s) of an industrial/PvE corp and you get war dec'd, the best thing to do is usually just dock up and wait it out. If you are rich and want to get some revenge, though, there are always tons of mercs out there who would love to take your isk to blow some of the aggressor corp's ships up.

Posted: Mar 7th 2011 6:36PM Xilmar said

first off, be careful with the mercs...some are a bit lame, forum talk and not much else, and they might take your isk and accomplish very little in terms of actual alliance/corp damages.

That being said, respect Brendan for what you've accomplished. I kinda get the feeling there has been a lot more drama that you mentioned, and that probably wasn't what you hoped for when you started Massively Mob. It's hard enough to keep a group of over 100 people together, especially when you have some that played eve for 1-2 months then went back to their My Pink Pony MMO subscription.

My point is don't blame yourself for the inevitable problems, don't count others' failures as your own and keep in mind that success can only come from a dictatorship. You're both a member of the corp and the CEO, and attitudes need to vary. decisions have to be made, usually difficult ones, and well, to partially quote the west wing, it sometimes helps if you consider yourself the office, not the man.

Might have been better to have an alliance with a couple of large corps. PVP, PVE/incursions and industry. pve corp brings in isk from the bounties and salvaged materials and can go wild in WH, industrials mine and manufacture anything, for the corp and market, and pvpers provide protection and do ops for great success and carebear tears.
and start a chain of command (a handful of people you, then each of them picks a few others, etc) from the beginning...it's risky, but there's no way around it. that's why trust is the most scarce and valuable resource in EVE, not moons, isk or KMs.

Anyway, no matter what happened then and what happens next, you deserve respect. You know why? because you were in a sandbox and you had the courage to stand up and build something. Just like in the beginning with tabletop rpgs, you did something, rather than following the crowd.

And P.S. expand or move out of gallente space. really wanted to join you guys in the beginning, but couldn't because of bad standings. or at least have a second HQ in caldari/amarr space. seriously, don't diss 50% of empire, it's not a good idea...and get better recruiters...spoke to 2 of them and one seemed spectacularly dense...