Posted: Feb 26th 2011 11:03AM Brockobama321 said

• Half a heart
Seriously, BioWare? Seriously. You know that I've already bought Dragon Age II, right?

Thanks for supporting BiowarEA, a company that has shown time and time again over the last 6 months that they don't care about their consumers, and that they specifically don't care about PC gamers. Tons of pre launch DLC? $60 for a PC game? No SE on Steam?

No seriously, go to hell. This game doesn't deserve to sell well. They've literally took a dump on PC gamers, and people like you just keep giving them your money. Thank you for not caring about the greater effect your consumer purchases have on the industry I love.

Posted: Feb 26th 2011 11:05AM Brockobama321 said

@Brockobama321

PS:

The fact that the game seems unlikely to feature the Deep Roads at all makes me hopeful.

I hope you're talking about the Demo itself and not the game, because DA2 has already been confirmed to have Deep Roads segments.

Posted: Feb 26th 2011 11:15AM kismet137 said

@Brockobama321 SOMEBODY sounds butthurt.

Posted: Feb 26th 2011 6:06PM Vagrant Zero said

@kismet137

It wouldn't be the internet if some pasty-faced basement dwelling whiteboy didn't ignore the serious issues facing our world over made-up unimportant shit existing solely in his mind.

What's this now?! You forgot the relish on my Hot Dog! I shall condemn you Sir with an angry internet post I shall!

Posted: Feb 26th 2011 11:22AM Tom in VA said

"But now you force me to play your free demo ..."

"Force"??? Seriously? That's just too funny.

Bioware is hardly forcing anyone to play their demo. I played it cause I wanted to play it; the freebies are fine but had little to do with me downloading and playing the demo.

Oh, and @Brockobama321, get over yourself. Jeepers. I think Bioware cares a lot about (most) consumers -- just not you, apparently. From my own experience with the DA2 demo, I am stoked not only for this game but also for SWTOR.

Posted: Feb 26th 2011 12:02PM Eliot Lefebvre said

@Tom in VA What am I supposed to do, not play and miss out on shiny objects that based on previous DLC bonuses either are disgustingly overpowered or are utterly irrelevant? That's madness!

Good demo, though.

Posted: Feb 26th 2011 11:48AM Daemodand said

Eliot is playing a Dominator in CoH. I knew there was something I liked about that guy!

Posted: Feb 26th 2011 12:45PM Crsh said

I'm in the head start for Rift and it's very good so far; I can see all the bits they've taken from WoW/WAR/GW/etc but it doesn't bother me one bit, it's very fun.

Posted: Feb 26th 2011 12:50PM Laren said

I'll be playing wow, doing my JC and cooking dailies... brb... ok... done. :(

I think I'll watch TV and hang out with my better half then. Waiting a couple weeks before entering the Rift.

Posted: Feb 26th 2011 1:47PM Zuljundwumn said

"Definitely not playing RIFT. Maybe in a year or two when it gets better. Gonna be playing some Champions Online"

Yeah right, this game is sooooooooooooo good and polished it had to go free to play.
i'm not a Rift Fanboy, but Champions online is such a pile of crap that it's players can't say about another game : "I'll wait till it's better".
that's just not right.

Posted: Feb 27th 2011 8:29AM Apakal said

@Zuljundwumn

If they made a completely different game between Betas and Head Start maybe...

Besides, how hard is it to make a polished game that follows a formula that's been in existence for 10 years now?

Posted: Feb 27th 2011 10:29AM Zuljundwumn said

@Apakal
Ask the devs of :
- Age of Conan
- Warhammer Online
- FF IV
- Aion
- Earthfall
- Champions online

Even if a recipe is old and simple, you can still screw it up if you don't cook it right.

Trion delivered a Polished game at release, something which hasn't be done for years. It's as simple as that.

Posted: Feb 27th 2011 11:48AM Apakal said

@Zuljundwumn

I still don't think that's worth any merit.

"Here, we're giving you the same game you've been playing for ten years, but we just payed a little bit more attention to the details than most other imitators. Praise us."

No thanks.

Posted: Feb 26th 2011 2:13PM lmollea said

Cross server tools? YES, PLEASE!
I was unable to log into my guild choice server (whitefall/EU) due to loong queues on Rift and that was really frustrating! I couls still play on another server, level my toon and then join my guild another day when the queues would dissipate.
Champions online wasn't a good game, needs much more content, but at least it got right the shardless environment!

Posted: Feb 26th 2011 2:30PM kooda said

No MMO's for me at the minute but other than that I'll be cancelling my WoW subscription, going to be ordering Rift from game tomorrow never played it but I'm jumping on that 6 month founder subscription after reading good things about the game and hell if I don't like it at first I've got 6 months for it to improve and grow on me and if I do like it (which I really suspect I will) I'm getting a good deal on the fee.

Posted: Feb 26th 2011 2:54PM (Unverified) said

Yes please! I'd love to see more MMO's go away from the restrictive server model that is in games such as WoW.

What am I playing this weekend? Undoubtedly nothing. I'd have liked to play Rift, but I'm too cheap to go back to a subscription-based MMO, not to mention the inclusion of the box price. I've turned to free entertainment instead: books from the local library. A big change for me that mixes things up at least.

Posted: Feb 26th 2011 3:54PM Wadysseus said

I was pretty disappointed with the DA2 demo. Seemed like they were trying to do the same thing they did with Mass Effect 2 relative to Mass Effect 1; make it more action-y. It worked for ME2, don't feel like it works for DA2.

Bottom line is that I don't want to hit the A button 5,000,000 times just to fire my staff.

Posted: Feb 26th 2011 3:57PM DarkWalker said

I think tying characters to servers is, perhaps, the worst blunder in the MMO history. Such forced segregation is not needed to form communities; they can form even when characters are not tied to servers, as all kinds of communities existent and constantly forming across the internet show. IMHO, such forced ties only serve to make it more difficulty to find groups and friends in the game.

My own idea for MMO servers, though, would be more complex. It would have game-wide guilds, queues, AHs, and related infrastructure, and a set of servers for smaller game world zones were players were dynamically sent according to the needs of the game and preference tags they set. It would need a way to transparently move players across servers, without a loading screen, though, and the algorithms to group players in servers could be challenging to properly implement.

Communities could still form, but this time centering across guilds and common interests (tags). The system could even have a "server" choice for players which would serve as a hint for the game to try to group players from the same "server" together.

Examples of tags would be a RP tag and a PvP tag; players with different tags would be on different servers, thus avoiding issues like PvP players irked from seeing opposite players they can't attack, or players that refuse to RP stumbling in a RP scene (perhaps coupled with a way for GMs to temporarily block a player from toggling one of his tags, as a punishment for abuse).

With players sent to the most appropriate servers, the developers could implement controls to automatically group together or separate players so as to have fairly constant populations on all areas - which could be really cool in open PvP zones. Have a mature game with some 100 players in the starting zone, 400 players trying to play in the open PvP zone, and 5000 players in the central city, but want the population in all such places to appear to be about 50 players? Just group the low level players in two servers, while dividing the high level ones across a hundred or so and the PvP zone ones across 8 servers. The PvP zone division could even be used to provide more constant combats, by staggering the event start across servers and sending players to the server the event is going to start sooner.

It would also enable the developers to add or remove servers transparently to account for population shifts, even daily ones; as long as the active player base at any one time was enough to fill at least one server, there would be no dead times in the game. It could even enable true hotfixes from the players' point of view (i.e., without the players having to disconnect) by transparently moving players across servers while some of them are restarted.

Posted: Feb 27th 2011 5:02PM (Unverified) said

@Patrick Mackey Waiting for Rift to get better, but hopping into the exciting World of Tanks? lol, okay.

Posted: Feb 27th 2011 7:53PM cowboyhugbees said

Am I the only shmoe that LIKED Deep Roads? It was wonderfully upsetting.

Unlike that stupid-ass Tower of Magi dream segment. So. Awful.
| 1 | 2 |