Posted: Feb 26th 2011 6:55PM alzeer said

if SE really wants to (i doubt they will) there are few areas to talk about:
the far east tenzen homeland: said th emptiness is threatening it but not sure if that the case after prompthia defeat.
the mithras homeland
there are also couple of named continents with almost no info which can be used for fresh story.

---some wotg spoilers----
also lilith world is version of vanadiel where odin interfering with the crystal war and making it never end
but i guess most players dont want xarcbard 4th version and shadowlord ultra-super-new look
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my opinion : guess SE will continue with abyss trend : wajoom abyss..ect.
at this point SE knows they can get away with copy/paste zones so why not add more.
i really wish im wrong

Posted: Feb 26th 2011 7:48PM Khalus said

Honestly and as you mentioned there is a ton of untapped content, like the Mithran homeland, the goblin or was it the tian continent to the N, the Far far East, plus another huge continent to the West.

SE needs to drop support of the PS2, cause thats whats holding FFXI back from getting any major updates or even a graphical overhaul. Maybe offer a $50 or $100 trade in of the old PS2 w/HDD towards a PS3, so those still playing it on PS2 can move on slightly easier and XI get finally get some serious new updates. Stupid PS2 has been holding the PC ver back forever, and even though you can edit the registry to make XI look better, its still just not enough!

Anyway, since the PS2 is near its limits, I highly doubt we'll see a boxed expansion of new zones, but rather just revised zones as WotG & Abyssea have both done... {well there were a few in WotG}

Anyway... {Also I'd love to return to Vana'diel but sadly I can't get POL to run on my PC this time, SE says they don't support 64bit systems, yet I played it for 7mo last year on the same 64bit PC...le sigh...}

Posted: Feb 26th 2011 8:42PM Fakeassname said

"Exactly how is the next storyline going to top the one where you killed a god?"

easy: you kill two gods ...

Posted: Feb 26th 2011 9:54PM DevilSei said

@Fakeassname
No... we kill Three gods!
Who happen to take on the form of wolfs.
During the night..
Howling at the moon...

Posted: Feb 26th 2011 8:51PM Nenene said

Tenzen promised me a hero's welcome in the Far East for CoP. I expect to collect.

As for 'lol PS2 issues', you'll take my precious PS2 FFXI when you wrest it from my cold dead hands.

Posted: Feb 26th 2011 10:00PM DevilSei said

@Nenene
Don't mind them, its stereotypical PC MMO elitism in effect. They don't want to believe that an MMO will work anywhere besides their beloved system.

PS2 isn't limiting the graphics, that would be the engine itself. While they COULD do a graphical update, it wouldn't be feasible considering the game's age and having a sequel already.

Posted: Feb 26th 2011 10:53PM myr said

@Nenene
A lot of people (including myself) are hoping for access to the Far East. Problem with that is the ps2 is what's limiting here, being nearly out of HDD space and all :(

Although it might be technically possible to keep all the big terrain files on the disc, and require ps2 players to keep the disc in the drive when in new-full-expansion areas, I doubt the engine supports it. In addition if SE has to make an update to one of those terrain files, ps2 users would be dead in the water.

It'll be interesting to see what direction SE takes the game from here, that's for certain.

Posted: Feb 27th 2011 1:57AM relgoth said

@eliot im gonna have to disagree with you on SE running out of content.
All mmos are made mostly on the premise that they will never end.

So as long as their is profit, there will be content. And SE is particularly good at thinking up clever storylines. Its what has kept me playing off and on for 8 yrs. They will come up with something

Posted: Feb 27th 2011 1:28PM Locus said

@relgoth

And lo and behold - petty and trivial things such as hardware limitations are all powerless before the masterful art of wishful thinking.

Posted: Feb 28th 2011 10:40AM JuliusSeizure said

Maybe you have already beaten the whole story, and everything from here on, to borrow an analogy from the single player FFs, is bonus dungeons and superbosses with very little story but amazing gear and huge challenges.

*shrug*

Posted: Feb 28th 2011 12:22PM (Unverified) said

@everyone wanting support for the PS2 to continue, please move on. Its 2011. Your argument is null and void unless you also still use a 2002 model cell phone, have a tube television with rabbit ear antennas, and have Windows XP on your computer so you can dial up AOL and check your email.

FFXI or any game will be forced to adapt to changes in technology or it will stagnate. Gently easing everyone onto the PS3 (or newegg yourself a computer that can run FFXI - probably less than $200 and just USB the PS2 controller) is the next logical step if they are going to do anything. I'm not even talking about graphic updates, since registry changes, draw distance, etc can do amazing things - I'm talking about HDD space. Its silly to hold back such a fantastic game that could continue for years for a space issue.

Posted: Feb 28th 2011 1:58PM Chiren said

I want Far East as well, or at least a boxed expansion to keep my set party going.

I really like WOTG story - especially the Windurst[S] arc. If you're not doing the Windy [S] quest arc, you are missing out bigtime!!!