Posted: Feb 28th 2011 4:38AM Shadowhawke said

@JonBuck

In my view, CoH remains the quintessential superhero MMO. It’s just so stacked in content on every level. The regular ‘issues’ the dev team produce, ‘A.K.A. free mini expansion packs, just continue to run a wide and creative spectrum and makes the game fun and keeps it that way.

CoH is so stacked it spoils you, so having run about ten alts in DCUO I already felt I’ve gotten the scale of most of the game. CoH has a massive array of power sets and pool powers, and between all those power variations and the vast costume editor, it is extremely easy to quickly establish a sense of strong identity with most or all of your characters.

If you’re walking around Paragon, Praetoria, or the Isles with a toon and pass three players with characters that fairly resemble yours, you’re just not tapping the true power of CoH’s creation engine…or perhaps your character concepts are just too ordinary. Not so with DCUO; there is a real homogenized feel between the power sets, and while I create the DCUO equivalent of a magic origin fire Blaster or a tech-origin Dual Pistols Blaster, they don’t seem nearly as divided in scope.

I run a DP/Devices Blaster and an Energy Blast/Fire Manipulation Blaster on Pinnacle, and the variety and specifics of those power sets make them completely different animals. Yeah they’re both DPS, but the similarity ends there; I have to run each with its own subset of tactics, especially when soloing. In DCUO they feel like it’s mostly the graphics that differ, but much of the attacks feel the same. And those toons are harder to get looking unique.

Power set additions and expansions, and costume style expansions... DCUO needs that sorely.

Posted: Feb 28th 2011 2:07AM real65rcncom said

@aelon
You read bad.

I still play it. But I don't have to play it every day and I'm around forever until all the fixes get done.

Over the long run, it will save more money (if someone thinks about money like you do) than sub, quit, sub quit.

People are still playing LOTRO, CO, etc.. and don't have to pay anything while others still sub after trying the F2P content to see "more" of the game.

Posted: Feb 27th 2011 2:40PM Aelon said

Make sure you watch this video, where the lead designers (smugly) imply that not having "secret identities" would render this game "not a full realization of the DC Universe" because they are a "key pillar" of such a world:

Oh, they didn't make it into release, and there's been no word on it since.

Don't ever think this game wasn't rushed out the door before it was done. I don't know anyone that says SoE is a great company that listens (well except that 1 guy) and I can't see giving them any money in advance based on promises. They certainly don't have the reputation and they clearly didn't earn it.

I bought this game to play with my good friend because he was a huge comic book freak and I really wanted to like it, but it's just crap on a PC and yes, I'm still pissed. Their forums have been plagued with people calling them out on this stuff, almost quicker than they can shuffle the threads out of sight, so I know I'm on good and generously-populated company.

Posted: Feb 28th 2011 1:42AM bleyzwun said

@Aelon Well they did say hypothetically... it wasn't a definite.

Posted: Feb 27th 2011 8:15PM Djinnius said

So I should retain a pessimistic attitude, believing the worst of SOE. I understand, but I do not wish to think the worst of a company that put out a product 6 weeks ago, and has already released new content.

Personally, I get tired of the people that have to tear at a company because they didn't get what they wanted from it. This is not WoW, or any other game, it is DCUO, and I really don't think many people are giving it a real chance.

Posted: Feb 28th 2011 3:19AM (Unverified) said

@Djinnius it just all boils down to "Haters gonna hate." man. its far easier to dislike something than it is to actually play something and like it or to hold some kind of standard that is just inaccessible beyond some kind of infinite development time or something.

the way i see it, the game JUST CAME OUT. its gonna have bugs big and small ones and maybe features that just couldnt be put in either because it needed more time to polish or because it just flat out didnt work in the gameplay. that why we dont have Green Lantern's power set yet.

games like WoW werent built in 2 or 3 months or even a year. it takes alot of time and effort and tweaks before we start seeing what it has to offer. personally, the only thing that the game had to do right was just make the action combat good and polished and in my eyes, theyve largely succeeded.

i left WoW because after awhile i just got bored of the level grind and "click click" gameplay. while some argue that a level cap of 30 is way too low and takes no effort to do, THATS PART OF THE POINT and why i like it!! i can easily get into endgame stuff and play with other people and get new gear and do raids in a short span of time if i want to just "beat it". whats also cool though is a can stagger it too and take my time and not feel like i missed out on anything and still have fun that way.

anyways, thats how i feel about the game. for the tl;dr people: "Haters gonna hate."

Posted: Feb 28th 2011 1:45AM bleyzwun said

This update kinda sucked. I was excited for the new PvP zone in Gotham, only to find out it was just another Ring Wars event.

I don't consider holiday updates an actual content update, and I hope SOE doesn't either. Holiday events are standard. I haven't played a MMO without holiday events in them. Also, the Valentine's event sucks ass. There was not one thing I liked about it.

Posted: Feb 28th 2011 9:48AM JuliusSeizure said

@bleyzwun

You do realise there was another raid, a new challenge mode and a duo instance added that have nothing to do with the holiday and will never go away, right? That's content right there.

Posted: Feb 28th 2011 11:16AM bleyzwun said

@JuliusSeizure and btw... If you couldn't tell, I was excited by the new PvP Zone. Before they posted the patch notes on their forums it was on IGN, "PVP Expansion: There will be a new Gotham PVP zone." I was happy to hear there would be a new "PvP Zone." Finding out it would be another Ring Wars was a huge let down. The instances were OK, but nothing great. So yes, for me this update sucked. The only really good thing to come from it was the exploit fixes and the AH.

Posted: Feb 28th 2011 6:51PM Djinnius said

Thanks man, I just needed to hear that. I also remember when the level cap in WoW was 50, not 85...hmmm...I wonder if the level 30 cap is just a starting point. Honestly, I am waiting to see what comes out next. I am really hoping for the GL powers soon, but I will wait :)

Posted: Feb 28th 2011 11:07AM bleyzwun said

I do realize that lol... just saying I hope they don't consider holiday content actual content, and that it sucked. Is there a problem with that?

Posted: Feb 28th 2011 1:40PM Germaximus said

lol@"CoH better than DCUO"
just...