Posted: Feb 26th 2011 12:11PM Altruist said

As a lifetime subscriber, I couldn't be more disappointed in this patch. I find it hard to believe they wasted any amount of time coding the Valentines Day event-- who thought this was a good idea? It's outside the theme of the universe, and feels cheap, rushed, and tacked on (which is weird, given that I never heard anyone clamoring for a V-Day event).

The AH is a nice addition, but the Bane Duo is bugged (he spawns twice), and the Catwoman mission bugged out on myself and several others.

I've been spending more and more of my time in COH and CO, kinda disappointed in myself for giving SOE my money...

Posted: Feb 26th 2011 2:08PM Yellowdancer said

@Altruist

Well, can't like every update. I expect a lot of bugs till they iron out the kinks of developing for two platforms. PS3 people are very happy though.

I didn't care for the valentine's day event myself...but not enough to drive me back to CO.

Posted: Feb 26th 2011 2:16PM Skyydragonn said

@Altruist
While it doesn't really fit the theme of the universe its pretty much standard fare in ANY MMO nowadays, cheap holiday themed content just to fill time. and give collection junkies something else to chase after. Almost every MMO i've played in the alst decade has holiday events. heck I have trouble recalling any that DONT have holiday events.
As for the Bugs you've experienced i can't really comment as I've not had that happen myself nor anyone in my league that i'm aware of yet.
Why your playing CO i've no idea...CoX i can understand to an extend but CO...ugh..just UGH!

Posted: Feb 26th 2011 3:21PM Heraclea said

@Altruist

The double spawning bug affects some of the original duos as well. I got two Isises (or is that Ises?) in the Gotham University duo.

Posted: Feb 27th 2011 3:35PM evanset6 said

@Altruist I haven't had that problem with Bane but I have with Isis since the new patch... I thought at first it might have been on purpose... and we actually killed both of them, and got two drops! So it was actually worth it, lol...

Posted: Feb 28th 2011 9:07AM JuliusSeizure said

@Altruist

I hink it's perfectly in theme for the universe. Then again, I long for a little more lightheartedness than all the grimdark rape and abuse stories that keep coming up in the comics lately. Ugh.

Posted: Feb 26th 2011 1:28PM warpax said

DCUO is dead to me. The "new" wore off faster than any other MMO Ive played and I feel no urge to even log in. It was fun for a week or 2 but i guess i metaphorically ran out of quarters....

Posted: Feb 26th 2011 2:56PM Djinnius said

Ok, for one, they are going to monthly updates to content and other things. No other mmo does monthly content updates, that I know of. This game has been out for what? a month? I am sorry, but the same people getting 30 in a week are the same ones that got 80 in a week in WoW. The devs are listening to the community and implementing new content, an Auction House, and chat interface improvements. I like the fact that they are listening to us. I am not sorry I bought a lifetime subscription.

Posted: Feb 26th 2011 4:10PM Protoavis said

@Djinnius

They said they were releasing monthly content before launch, launch being on the 11th, so 6 weeks.

The AH was always coming so it's not an indication of listening to the player base.

Posted: Feb 27th 2011 2:31PM Aelon said

@Djinnius

I do not think this... "listening"... means what you think it does...

Posted: Feb 26th 2011 3:32PM blackGeisha said

Yep, Valentine's Day content is kind of worthless to me and loses most of it's charm being released a week after Valentine's Day. If they're going to release holiday-themed content, at least, for the love of God, release it before the holiday.

Personally, as a PC user, I'm generally happy with the patch; I'm not too hardcore with the game, so take that into consideration. I Haven't dealt with the double Bane duo, but I have encountered, several times, the double Isis duo. It's at least exciting, but those double scorching scarabs kinda hurt.

Broker is, well, kinda worthless right now. Weapons are generally shitty and only useful for styles because tiered weapons are non-existent. Not just that, it's still early so not a lot of people have put decent stuff for sale, but I get the general impression it might improve (*fingers crossed*).

My future with DCUO is uncertain right now because I'm not sure I'll resubscribe after three months (SWTOR may pull me away).

Posted: Feb 26th 2011 3:53PM Yellowdancer said

@blackGeisha

No chance TOR comes out this year...you should find a game to get you through the year. I may give RIFT a run.

Posted: Feb 26th 2011 5:18PM blackGeisha said

@Yellowdancer

Not crazy about the fantasy genre anymore (haven't been for several years now), and if SWTOR doesn't come out this year I will probably stick with DCUO because of time invested. In spite of it's flaws (it's still an infant-stage MMO), I do enjoy it. I guess I was thinking that DCUO needs to do more to keep me from migrating to SWTOR when it comes out.

Posted: Feb 26th 2011 3:59PM Germaximus said

Aww I was hoping SWTOR was comin this year, thats sad.

I love the valentines content, its very fun, but im also pissy about it being put in way after the actual holiday. Its freaking ridiculous.

The games buggy as crap and has thousands of problems but i still find it entirely enjoyable.

Posted: Feb 26th 2011 6:47PM real65rcncom said

Lifetime is still cheap vs other games that have been around already for years now, so $200 seems reasonable. Since I've paid that already, I don't have to sit on the fence or wonder if I'll resub or after I've played something else and gotten bored, wondered if I should come back. The game will always be here when I'm ready to play it.

I think for most of us Lifetimes, it's not that big a deal (least the ones I talked to in my legion). We don't expect, unlike monthly payers, to have it all working now. A few of us are playing Rift @ $10/month while they work out those bugs but we know the bones of the game is there and it is great fun to log in and knock a raid out.

Even if SOE broke a promise and is only able to do a new raid and a new duo once every OTHER month, that's still a good deal for most of us Lifetimes to be happy about.

The game is never going F2P because it's SOE, but even if it did we'd still never have to pay one dime more.

Posted: Feb 27th 2011 2:34PM Aelon said

@real65rcncom

That's such a strange argument. "I don't mind giving them $200 now, because I know one day it will all be fixed."

Don't get me wrong, you're a dream customer for any game house.

Posted: Feb 26th 2011 6:52PM Furdinand said

The most annoying bug with the patch has been boss loot glitching out. I finally was able to get in an outcave Batcave group with good players and the last two bosses didn't drop marks or loot. I can put up with flaws in the rat maze, but not having cheese at the end is beyond frustrating, it makes you question the life decisions that got you to that point.

Posted: Feb 26th 2011 10:09PM JonBuck said

I don't plan on returning until I can be a Green Lantern, anyway.

Posted: Feb 27th 2011 5:35AM Shadowhawke said

OK, first off I'll say I haven't played an MMO this new; coming in on the first couple weeks. Typically I let an MMO age quite a bit. EverQuest, Star Wars Galaxies and City of Heroes were all going between 3-4 years before I got onboard, so I can’t relate just how incomplete any of them were at launch date...if at all. Age of Conan was going for about 2 years; that’s the closest I’ve been until now.

All I can tell you is that DCUO is like watching a dysfunctional space shuttle launch; it’s pretty, it’s high-tech, but it launched off the pad with the cargo bay empty. Now, I’m coming up on three years in City of Heroes, and as both stand currently, CoH blows the doors off thing in every respect save for graphics, and even that’s not that big of a thing post-Ultra Mode.

CoH is an awesome MMO, no...it’s a great MMO. DCUO so far is just...'good'. Costuming is just one-tenth of what CoH gives you. And in a superhero MMO that’s a big thing.

Here’s what I think DCUO got right so far-

~The art. Not just the graphics, which are obviously beautiful, but the art. It’s like a 3-D comic book; the style is very appropriate to the genre. It all looks painted into a panel on a page in a quality graphic novel, except you can walk around in it.

~A close relationship with DC’s canon characters, that ranges from getting missions from the big three on the hero or villain side, to actually working with, even rescuing canon characters. That goes a long way toward inserting you into the story line, making you feel like your doing more than hoping from mission to mission on the grind (even though you still are).

Style selection for visible gear. This might be the one bit of true innovation for the game, which allows for stat gear, as is the norm for many MMOs, but a quick and easy selection for appearance tabs. This is something that I loved tremendously when ‘Galaxies launched this a couple years back, and I’ve been helping to push Funcom to do the very same with Age of Conan.

The comic book cut scenes; which are artistically lovely and with great audio and voice acting, and do their part of the immmersion effect into the DC universe.

Top notch voice acting; Mark Hammil reprising his role as voice of the Joker, Adam Baldwin as Superman, Gina Torres *drool* as Wonder Woman, Dwight Schultz as Martian Manhunter, and Arleen Sorkin as the charmingly psycho-lovable Harley Quinn.

The ‘live’ cut scenes, which are superior in Age of Conan because that game uses the Bioware-style choice-driven cinematics, but DCUO wins points here with liberal use of sound tracks. Hell, even the VENDORS in DCUO talk to you. Some of the voice acting is very campy, some of it just plain sucks, but then a lot of it is very, very good.

Now, my sticking point; yeah, the global server market- this was my one genuine What The Hell Moment with the game. I’m glad it’s finally up, and now it’s finding ways to figure out how it’s going to work out. In some respects it’s cool to see this aspect of a game from day one, watching the server economy shape itself.

All in all I enjoy DCUO, but I’m playing the patience game and seeing how much I enjoy it down the road. It’s an MMO half-done, and I’m waiting to see the rest of it. It's a luxury liner, but it's still in drydock, and you can hear the welders working in the lower decks.

And now, since Krystalle touched on it, the Valentine’s Day thing….um, yeah.

Don’t get me wrong, I love holiday MMO events. In SWG I hit Life Day and Galactic Moon Festival every year. In EQ I always go for Frostfell events. CoH’s Winter Event and Halloween with all its supernatural and zombie goodness are always enjoyable. This year I got my first Bloody Solstice in Hyboria (even if I was eerily humming Solstice Bloody Solstice in my head, to the tune of U2’s Sunday Bloody Sunday, for about a month straight).

They are great seasonal ways to step off the grind for a while and realize it's about more than just the grind.

But DCUO’s Valentine’s thing…I’m sorry, that’s supposed to be a nice day. And it’s so far up the Creepy Scale with the pudgy, diaper-clad old men thing that it makes ‘Galaxies Festival of Love seem OK…Ewoks, Dr. Love, Mister Hate and all.

I don’t even want to play a male toon in the holiday events, and even the female toon model creeps me out in a Strawberry Shortcake-what-the-hell-is-a-grown-man-like-me-doing-playing-this-level.

It’s so far into the outfield it’s crazy. It doesn’t fit- doesn’t feel like the DC universe at all- at least it's maybe a part of the DC universe I don’t really care to go to...ever. I don’t even think Bizzaro Earth can be blamed for this…

Posted: Feb 27th 2011 7:27PM JonBuck said

@Shadowhawke You've really hit the nail on the head here. The voice acting and art style really made the game for me. But right now I just can't get past the lack of variety in powersets. I love that everyone gets melee/ranged attacks, but the targeting system is atrocious. I love working with Batman, Superman, The Flash (who is Dwight Schultz), Wonder Woman, Nightwing, Robin... everyone.

But there isn't a whole lot there quite yet. I've played the game almost 100 hours, and I'm a severe altoholic, so I've done the content multiple times. I got one character to level 28 before I went "meh, I'll try back later".

I think it's a great, fun game. There just needs to be more of it.