Posted: Feb 25th 2011 2:48PM vanmeer said

I like keyboard and mouse because I am an older player and i grew up playing that way. I play the xbox 360 and ps3 a ton and have played consoles for years and love a controller.

Just in the last few years I have been wanting to use my controller more and more on my PC.

I now look for controller based mmo's and games for my PC.
Also having Skype and a xbox controller while playing a MMo is like being on xbox live, and a lot of the newer MMo's that use a controller have in game chat that works very well so you even need a mouse and keyboard even less.

Posted: Feb 25th 2011 3:33PM blakepro said

I have the hardest time using anything other than a controller. I wish I could get used to a keyboard and mouse.

Also, I dont know if anyone has seen this or not yet, but you can win a bunch of PC gear including WOW keyboards and mice: the steel series 10th anniversary giveaway http://steelseries.com/10?code=T73fwHxE

Posted: Feb 25th 2011 4:05PM Space Cobra said

In my long experience, it really seems people who are comfortable with one never have given the other a chance. I actually prefer keyboard for comfort and instant action presses, but I do know there is value in mouse-look in many FPS games.

Really, most current MMOs were designed for keyboard/mouse. Not comfortable hovering over WASD or Mouse for long periods of time (unless you got a pillow) but there are products to alleviate that.

There is value in both and it is sad people don't bother really trying testing both, but, I consider myself a true gamer. I go where the games are, no matter the controller. If a game is fun on PC or console, I buy the system/game.

But, I've seen these rivalries all too often in the past, even among other categories, among those that play games as a hobby.

Posted: Feb 25th 2011 4:34PM PiOmega said

Nnnnnnnope, never used a pad for an mmo. I have used a flight stick for wwii online and planetside (for flight in both), but never a game pad for anything mmo. Never heard of the pad really being used, sure it's not just some game pad maker trying to boost sales spreading rumors? ;)
Of course some game publishers are always trying to capture some other player-base rather than regular mmo players, such as console players, so maybe adding support for the pad is becoming more common, ...though so too are the fails ;)

Posted: Feb 25th 2011 4:44PM oxlar said

Any MMO that can be played fully with a console controller is an MMO that I'm NOT interested in playing.

Posted: Feb 25th 2011 6:15PM (Unverified) said

I've used a Gamepad with MMO's for years [primarily LotRO and DDO]. The Gamepad takes over the most common tasks but does not eliminate or completely replace keyboard/mouse. Turbine currently has the best built-in keybinding support for gamepad controllers so far, though you can find software to handle this if not inherently supported.

The gamepad I use is an older one from Thrustmaster based on the Playstation 2 design. Left thumbstick for movement, 16 mappable keys, pretty much covers most situations.

Posted: Feb 26th 2011 12:40AM Bezza said

Until someone makes a controller that has over 100+ keys and macro options and multiple profile selection abilities with three layers of program-ability... hang on wait a minute! Someone already has! I

AWESOME!

I believe it's called a gaming keyboard. Oh surprise.. surprise... really Jef the only Luddites are the fewls who get conned into the marketing hype that a controller with less keys, less program-ability and less sensitivity is somehow better or cooler than a good gaming keyboard and mouse. lol@this article. seriously who do you think your kidding? Have we all forgotten the bruhaha that occurred with FFIX because they lamely had a software support mouse only and expected gamers to use controllers. ROFLMAO! my didn't they quickly earn the ire of 99.999% of the MMO gaming community.

Console controllers gaining popularity with badly coded console games ported to PC, well yes, but these are not MMO titles and most serious MMO players just wouldn't bother with them for anything other than a brief diversion. Perhaps game developers/studios only want to code games for one platform so they can save money and articles like this are supposed to convince the younger crowd that it's okay to use a controller with your MMO. Hehe good luck!

Make My MMO: December 21 - 27, 2014