Posted: Feb 25th 2011 8:11AM Paradigm68 said

I used to be a hardcore mouse/keyboard player. It was GTA San Andreas on the PC that got me comfortable using a controller. Being able to lean back and relax was nice. But for MMO's I can't For me, for what I play MMO's for, they are too interactive for me to not have my hands on the keyboard. I've tried AoC, STO and FFXIV with a controller, and what happens is I lean back in my chair get comfy and then I start becoming anti-social because I don't feel like reaching for my keyboard.

So for me when it comes to MMO's definitely mouse/keyboard all the way, and any MMO that doesn't support a robust mouse/keyboard UI will probably lose my interest pretty quick because that means to me that the devs aren't interested in community.

Posted: Feb 25th 2011 8:44AM Aganazer said

Until a controller can match the precision of a mouse I am not interesting. Why would I want to have LESS control than I do now?

This also extends to the games that were designed for a controller. If the K&M take a backseat to the controller because of some poor interface decisions then I don't enjoy the game.

I have a controller and have mastered its use in other genres, but for first and third person perspective types of input systems there is no replacement for the K&M yet.

Posted: Feb 25th 2011 8:47AM Yellowdancer said

• Half a heart
@Paradigm68

Sometimes the community is wrong. Stop being elitist.

An action MMO works well with a controller. But a controller should not be forced into a MMO just for feature sake.

MMO's are not EQ and WOW anymore. The genre is growing. Time for MMO players to grow with it. Lets not kill games because they don't look or play like they did 5,10 years ago.

Posted: Feb 25th 2011 10:19AM Snichy said

@Yellowdancer; Your hypocisy regarding elitists notwithstanding, its all about personal choice. MMO players should not and will not change just because of one persons perceived opinion of evolution in MMOs. The method by which we play has no bearing on the genre and whether it grows one way or the other and being told we have to change to keep up is silly.

"MMO's are not EQ and WOW anymore"? I beg to differ - last time I checked MMOs were EQ and WOW, both of which are still quite popular as I recall.

Posted: Feb 25th 2011 11:24AM KDolo said

@Yellowdancer

"An action MMO works well with a controller."

I disagree. I do much better in FPS games with WADS and a mouse than with a controller

Posted: Feb 25th 2011 11:31AM Apakal said

@KDolo

FPS and Action aren't necessarily the same thing. I always read Action as Hack-n-Slash (Darksiders, God of War, Bayonetta, etc. etc.).

Posted: Feb 25th 2011 12:22PM Paradigm68 said

@Yellowdancer How does having a personal preference in game type/style make me an elitist? May I assume that since you probably don't consider yourself an elitist you have absolutely no preferences regarding game types and styles?

Also, you may have misunderstood me. I wasn't saying "the" community is right or wrong, I'm saying that for what I play MMO's for IS community and and MMO that isn't geared towards encouraging a robust community will lose my interest.

Posted: Feb 25th 2011 8:51AM Silverangel said

The genre is "growing"--it's getting dumbed down for various reasons. To answer question, no. No controllers for me, no console MMO's. I've played Champions (co-developed for console but never released) and FFXIV, and that was enough for me.

Posted: Feb 25th 2011 8:58AM Renko said

If I wanted to use a controller I'd buy a console.

Posted: Feb 25th 2011 10:14AM Shazzie said

@Renko
Exactly. I'm not a console gamer, so I have zero interest in controllers. Why would I want to be so limited?

Posted: Feb 25th 2011 9:20AM Alfrodul said

I can't imagine how unwieldly a controller would have to be to manage an MMO like WoW, LOTRO, or any of the others I've played in the past six years. No controller on the market currently can compete with the KM combo and I don't see that changing.

Between text chatting (often in four or more channels), slash commands and other emotes, and the sheer volume of skills you use (I have some classes where, in a simple fight, I will actively use 4-6 skills in 5 separate categories) controllers just aren't up to the job.

So, yes I'm a keyboard *user* but Luddite is not even remotely accurate since it implies using inferior technology past its usefulness when superior technology is available.

I would *love* a more elegant and natural solution to replace the KM setup but I haven't found one yet and the current technology of console-derived controllers isn't it.

Posted: Feb 25th 2011 9:33AM (Unverified) said

@Alfrodul WoW and LOTRO wouldn't work with a controller because their whole design is developed around mouse/kb. Another example is FFXIV, where despite the intention of releasing it on a console, it just copied the design paradigms of PC MMOs, but then compensated with a horribly dysfunctinal interface to squeeze in controller compatibility.
DCUO has many, MANY problems, but one thing they did right was having the very basic game design reflect the controller as an input device, and at least that part of the game is working pretty well.

And the notion that more buttons equals more depth ... just because you can have moderate success with mashing buttons on a controller doesn't mean there isn't a deep game hidden underneath.

Posted: Feb 25th 2011 9:25AM Apakal said

• 1 heart
It took less than 5 posts to fill this topic with seething elitism. Pathetic.

If a player prefers a controller over kb & m, what do you care? If it's fitting for the game and doesn't negatively impact the experience, how does it affect you?

But yeah, we wouldn't want to attract more people to MMOs. That might actually give developers more money to develop quality games. And who would want that?

Posted: Feb 25th 2011 9:55AM DeadlyAccurate said

@Apakal The problem stems when the developers focus on one at the expense of the other. Anyone who's played a bad console port on the PC knows how poorly that works. Games that work well with a controller tend to have fewer buttons, and they have to account for the fact that you can't just put your mouse cursor over a button and press (like forcing you to scroll through inventory screens).

In the last couple weeks, I finished playing a couple of Xbox 360 games, and while the controls worked fine for that system, if I'd had to deal with the same UI issues while playing the game on my PC, I would've been very annoyed, because the PC can do so much more.

Posted: Feb 25th 2011 10:51AM Apakal said

@DeadlyAccurate

This is true and I do agree that if both control schemes are going to be used, both should get equal attention (allowing scrolling and clicking of menu options, etc.). But that's a developer issue and not necessarily an inherent fault of the system.

Posted: Feb 25th 2011 9:27AM Dalen said

I use game keypads like the [url=http://www.google.fr/images?q=n52te&oe=utf-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8]n52te[/url] or the [url=http://www.google.fr/images?q=logitech+g13&oe=utf-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8]G13[/url].
The straight aligned keys are a real comfort for my poor hands.

Posted: Feb 25th 2011 10:56AM Kunari said

@Dalen

I have a n52, it's great but I couldn't use it for WOW. Too many keybinds needed in WOW for the n52 at level cap (and that was level 70). I know others who have got the N52 to work but I'm not sure how.

I did get a setups for STO to work with the N52 and games like ME, ME2, DA:O, etc.

Posted: Feb 25th 2011 11:12AM Apakal said

@Kunari

Don't keybind worthless crap. I played 5 classes in some end-game capacity covering all roles using only 10 or 11 (if you want to count my circle button being Tab) buttons and the Joystick as WASD.

Arena might be a little different, but no one really cares about Arena anyways.

If you're not using a button more than once every minute, there's no reason to have it on a priority keybind. Put it on the F keys or the number pad or something.

Posted: Feb 26th 2011 4:21AM Fakeassname said

@Kunari

cool, so I'm not the only one who though one of those things would be great for a mmo only the end up disappointed.

Posted: Feb 25th 2011 9:28AM Caliber said

It depends on the game. With an MMO like DCUO, I'll use a controller. I'll stick to K&M for games like WoW or Rift.

While not an MMO, try playing Super Meat Boy with a keyboard. It makes you feel stupid in comparison to using a controller.

Why I Play: ArcheAge