Posted: Feb 25th 2011 4:18PM (Unverified) said

I played the game when it first hit NA, Gave it a solid month of play and determined that it was simply too hard to get started. You had to grind face on PvE monsters for months to be competitive in PvP and most of those same monsters were ether extremely easy and offered jack for loot or were extremely difficult to kill (even the ones in the starting areas) with the limited skills and resources a newbie had at their disposal.

I could see it being fun if you had or made a large group of friends who are interested in helping each other out. As a solo player who happened to only meet retards only interested in using you to farm resources the game was not worthwhile.

You also forgot to mention the movement hackers that plagued the game making certain guilds vastly more powerful then others.

Posted: Feb 25th 2011 4:38PM DancingCow said

@(Unverified)

I had a very similar experience.

Though most of those difficulties for new players were addressed back in the first or second patch. They seriously increased loot/gold drops to make it easier for noobs to make enough money to buy enough armour that they could stop running around naked for fear of losing said armour to constant gankers.

And the terrible skill grind which spawned bloodwalls was addressed by increasing skill gains by something like a factor of 3, and 6 for magic skills?

Though I was also really turned off by all of the exploits which allowed players to completely undermine core game mechanics.

At the end of the day, I loved the combat way, way, way more than any other MMO I've played, but all of those exploits were total fun-killers.

I look forward to seeing what their new plans for alignment are.

Posted: Feb 25th 2011 4:49PM 2DruNk2FraG said

I am a huge fan of Darkfall and think that the game does have long term staying power. I've played for more than a year out of its 2 year life and for the most part have had a good time. However, I find myself ready to take a break yet again.

My problem with darkfall is that I lose patience with it trying to perpetually catch up with the large population of "vets". After playing my character for more than a year you would think that I could slow down on the skill grind a bit and focus more on what I love, free-roaming PVP. Unfortunatly, being a casual player that can only play 3-4 hours a night I'm still only moderatly powered.

I can't stand the thought of farming any more mobs or grinding any more spells in Agon, so tonight I say goodbye with a final PVP session. I know however, eventually I will get that itch that is only Darkfall can satisfy.

Posted: Feb 25th 2011 8:10PM Mad Dog said

Best mmo out there by miles.

You can keep all those crap tab target press 123 mmos thanks.

Posted: Feb 25th 2011 9:04PM xBludx said

I've unsubbed and returned three or four times already. Currently, I'm back. Darkfall has become my solid go-to game, while I am waiting for the Xsyon final wipe and early start and bearing with Earthrise to see if Masthead can turn that game around.

If those newer games fail me, Darkfall will still be around. I have to agree with Mad Dog. After playing Darkfall, I just can't go back to tab targeting and press 123.

Posted: Feb 25th 2011 9:42PM mszv said

Since I have a low tolerance for forced PvP and ganking, I won't play But -- the description was good, interesting, thanks.

Here's my question. One of the posters above describes playing "only 3-4 hours a day" and then described themselves as a "casual player".

That's what constitutes casual player in Darkfall? That doesn't sound casual to me!

Posted: Feb 25th 2011 11:14PM Carefulwiththatpoptart said

@mszv

Everyone has a different opinion of what "casual" means, I suppose. Personally, I wouldn't brag about 4 hours of free time a day to play.

Posted: Feb 26th 2011 10:31AM Rialle said

@mszv

The phrase "casual" is now meaningless thanks to it becoming a buzzword. There is no set definition for the term, and thus a lot of people consider themselves as such as long as there are people more hard core than them.

I've seen people who play WoW 12 hours a day and who have multiple accounts call themselves "casual" players.

Posted: Feb 26th 2011 8:19PM ErikC said

@Rialle I'm glad to see someone actually saying this. It's really funny, because so many people believe there's this huge hardcore vs. casual war going on, and that developers are reading these threads on forums that are part of this war and making critical decisons based on the arguments there, etc. Not only is none of that actually the case, but additionally the two "sides" are almost entirely made up in the first place. The actual split is:

- People who want to be part of an elite club (the supposed "hardcore")
- People who want to make fun of people with no lives (the supposed "casual", although many of these people are actually rather hardcore players)

and in the corner:

- People who want games to be awesome ("normal")

It's just that third party doesn't tend to yell quite as loudly. They are the ones with the interesting opinions though, buried amongst the heaps of posts that boil down to "I want to play a game that is made for me and my friends" and "lol you guys are losers."

Posted: Feb 26th 2011 9:40PM DancingCow said

@mszv

Keep in mind that when Darkfall launched it had an existing high/max level player population who essentially had a 1-2 year headstart.

And it's free-for-all PvP.

That changes the context a bit when it comes to hard-core/casual. I can understand why someone who only plays 4 hours a day might call themselves casual.

When I played back at launch I was playing more hours a day than that just to be even remotely useful in PvP - and at the end of a month was still a long way from that.

Posted: Feb 26th 2011 3:09AM TitusGroan said

Darkfall is fun if you have a lot of time on your hands, and don't mind grinding. It's pretty polished by now and the combat is fun, albeit on the arcady side.

What killed DF for me when I tried it:

* No skillcap, meaning everyone use basically the same char build and only time investment (i.e. grinding/macroing) matters.
* Insta-travel and global banking - not very sandboxy imo.
* Everything is about PvP and the PvP lacks real purpose.

Also, I found the alignment system to be quite a mess.

Posted: Feb 26th 2011 8:19AM Dblade said

Darkfall finally killed the idea that FFA PvP was a better mode of play. and the whole "Lets go back to UO in design' meme died with it. It reminded people that, yes, progression sucks in any FFA PvP game, and no, political structures don't matter enough to counteract wide-scale ganking. Even to the point of their newbie guild being ganked out of existence.

We still have idiots who think its possible, and they migrate from game to game trying to change it into what darkfall should have been, or so they thought. Mortal Online, Xyson, Rift, and now AoC. But the idea is finally dead now that the nostalgia is gone.

Posted: Feb 26th 2011 10:36AM Rialle said

@Dblade

Darkfall is a niche title, and it specifically caters to people who like the FFA PvP. You may argue that the people who play Darkfall as their primary game are the types who enjoy ganking newbies who have no chance, and that may be true.

For "mainstream" MMOs, the idea of FFA PvP with full looting died when Everquest came out.

Posted: Feb 26th 2011 4:07PM Dblade said

@Rialle Well it was held up as an antidote to all that was wrong with current themeparks, in the same way EVE is. Evil WoW, draining the life out of the genre? Go back to FFA PvP. Hasn't worked, and DF is probably the most visible next to Aion (which had additional problems which diluted the argument.)

Posted: Feb 26th 2011 5:07PM Jef Reahard said

@Dblade

FFA PvP was but a small part of the UO appeal. The larger part of it for the majority of people that talk about the game wistfully was the non-combat gameplay.

People have this bizarre notion that FFA (and/or full loot) PvP automatically makes a game into a sandbox experience when in reality it's only one possible component.

If someone did actually 'go back to UO design' (i.e., bothered to make a game with all of the non-combat gameplay options that UO had), we could then debate whether it was an acceptable cure for all the folks who say they are tired of WoW and its followers. Hasn't happened yet though. Even though I like Darkfall, comparing it to UO is laughably pointless.

Posted: Feb 26th 2011 10:13PM Ozmodan said

Darkfall will always be an after thought until they put in place skill caps.

How the developers continue to ignore such a needed feature is just clueless.

Posted: Feb 28th 2011 10:45AM mongrel said

@ozmodan go read what there going to be changing with the armor system......will be changing things alot when they put that in