Posted: Feb 25th 2011 10:06AM Dread said

Just logged off....after 7 hours in queue I finally got on. All was good, I was at work the whole time and it logged in just as I got home. 1 advantage of being in Oz ;) Logged onto Wolfsbane and started leveling my Guardian Warrior and there was bugger all issues from what I could see. Solid as a bloody rock. A patch was rolled out about 2 hours ago and the server went down but came back up smartly and best of all - no queue when I logged back in.

Apart form the server queues, which were to be expected, rock solid day 1.

Posted: Feb 25th 2011 10:06AM shockologist said

I watched the servers pop up at 10 sharp and logged on to Wolfsbane and got 3 hrs on their before servers went down After that I ended up rolling new toons on pve servers as they came up and actually found one of them (Corintha Guardian) to be far more pleasant that the one I initially rolled on.

Kudos to Trion for such a smooth launch.

Posted: Feb 25th 2011 10:09AM jpkustra said

Very smooth launch. I was able to get onto several servers and reserve my toon names. Mid-afternoon I was able to play til lvl 10 and particicpated in a couple of rift events and I couldn't believe how smoothly the game played when the screen was filled with mobs and players... amazing.

Posted: Feb 25th 2011 10:13AM (Unverified) said

6 hour wait to get in to the Faeblight server

Posted: Feb 25th 2011 10:18AM (Unverified) said

Havent had chance to play yet what with work being in the way (bah!), but I have been amazed at the speed Trion are chucking new servers up to cope with the influx, as well as the community feedback from Zann and co.

Posted: Feb 25th 2011 10:24AM Snichy said

I had to wait about 2 hours on Steampike EU - was worth it though. One thing I found to be a great feature (yet again hats off to Trion if in fact it was due to them implementing it) as that even when I got disconnected and/or had to restart the computer, I was still put back into line where I had left off and not to the back of the queue. Bravo!

Posted: Feb 25th 2011 10:27AM markt50 said

No horror story to tell here really.

I was a couple of hours late to the party thanks to work. By the time I got in my guild had decided to role on a different server (Shivermere EU PvP). Had a 10 minute wait in the queue and then was in.

I had a great 5 hour session and only got disconnected once. Had an absolute blast and looking forward to spending this weekend playing for real (Thank god beta is over).

Posted: Feb 25th 2011 10:29AM Macabre 13 said

Though I don't intend to play RIFT, I applaud Trion for clearly being prepared for an influx of players greater than they expected.

I believe this shows they have learned a lot from other MMO launches, and that can only mean good things for their player base.

I believe RIFT is shaping up to be a formidable contender in the MMO space, and more competition is always good for us, the consumers.

Posted: Feb 25th 2011 10:30AM Arkanaloth said

@Macabre 13

agreed, so far so good. I'm certainly keeping an eye on this one as perhaps a future game to play.

Posted: Feb 25th 2011 10:30AM daikamar said

Very smooth launch from my perspective. Servers have been very stable. The first server my friends and I tried had a queue but we just switched to one of the new servers and was queue free!

Enjoying the game a lot!

Posted: Feb 25th 2011 10:32AM xilr said

Another huge problem was the inability to do quests are they were intended. Something that would take 5-10 minutes (Kill 8 NPC) might take a half hour in a shoot-out with the other 150 people trying to nail the same 8 NPCs.

Not Trion's fault, Burning Crusade was the same way..... But not fun even if you do get on.

Posted: Feb 25th 2011 10:44AM Scuffles said

@xilr

Thats why I don't understand why New MMOs don't at least start off with a channel server setup. Even if they don't intend to support it in the long run.

Then they can have say 4-5 servers each with a hand full of channels and you scale channels accordingly.

You kill three birds with one stone.
You avoid queues because initially there is enough room for everyone
You avoid massive zone overcrowding (there will still be some)
You avoid the false stigma of failure during your impending server mergers after tourist season.

Posted: Feb 25th 2011 2:07PM shockologist said

@Scuffles

This sort of does

The 1st area is basically one giant instance that caps at about 50 people so that the servers don't get bottlenecked right at creation.

Imo quests are a lower priority than rifts if you wanna level at a good pace.

Posted: Feb 25th 2011 4:08PM Faction 3 said

@xilr I DREAD this happening when Guild Wars 2 launches. There will be at least 12-times the amount people on that launch day, and it wil be BRUTAL...

I'll probably buy the game, then shelve it for a week or so.

Posted: Feb 26th 2011 8:24AM (Unverified) said

@xilr The fault here lies entirely with the players. By default everyone is in a public group. If mobs are being killed too quickly, all you have to do is click on another player and click the join public group icon on their portrait and you're now grouped and share credit. Items for collection quests are even available for each player (each player can see/get only one per kill).

Plus I saw some players complaining that people were declining group invites. So some players obviously knew that grouping would make things less painful but others were unwilling to do it for some reason.

Posted: Feb 25th 2011 10:35AM Scuffles said

Still you would think by now that companies would I dunno look at their pre order data and anticipated this .... I mean its not like I don't read this every singe highly anticipated MMO launch.

I'm sure we will see some "Oh we underestimated" .... sorry but if someone is in a 7hr queue you didn't underestimate you flat out @#$*%&ed up.

This isn't a stress test people this is the first impression you make with your customers who thought enough of your product to pre order.

At least I'm not hearing about the game launching with dozens of servers that will all need to be merged in 30 days when the tourists move on.

Posted: Feb 25th 2011 11:19AM Duffy said

@Scuffles

They can't increase capacity without destabilizing servers, so that's not an option. They can add more servers but if they open too many they discover populations slacking after the initial weekend as people get into their normal playing schedule. It depends too much on factors they cant control or don't know yet.

Posted: Feb 25th 2011 12:12PM aurickle said

@Duffy
Actually they undoubtedly started off with reduced max populations for each server. This creates a scenario where they can encourage a more even population distribution across all servers while also allowing them to slowly ramp up populations.

Ramping up populations like that has a dual purpose:

1) It allows people to play with their friends even if they couldn't start playing in the first few days or during the head start. If the servers launch at max capacity then once it's full that's it. The people who come later have to abandon their friends or their friends have to abandon the time they've put into the game so far.

2) It allows them to maintain a more distributed player population across the level ranges. As players move out of the starting areas they can increase the cap and let more players into those starting areas. This helps reduce the competition for early level objectives, making the game more fun for all.

Posted: Feb 25th 2011 12:57PM ImperialPanda said

@Scuffles

Let's do some simple math.

On a well established MMO, a healthy server might have 2000-3000 concurrent users, out of a total of 15,000-20,000 active users.

That means, if a game has 1m subscribers, they need around 50-75 servers to adequately meet demand.

On launch day, suppose they have 50 servers, which is adequate for 1m players. For video games, the vast majority of sales occurs during launch week, and the month that follows. So Suppose 200k units are sold on first day.

Now, they just all bought the game, so of course most of them are probably eager to play it right away.

200,000 / 50 = 4,000 per server, which is over capacity.

So even though they have enough servers, there is a queue. Understand?

During normal operations, only about 1/8 of the player base is logged on at a time. During launch, 1/2 or more of the player base is logged on, or trying to log on.

Posted: Feb 25th 2011 3:06PM shillagan said

@Scuffles They knew how many people there would be ahead of time; the issue has been more that large guilds and guild alliances are trying to go to a select amount of server and are unwilling to go to others. That is where some of the long 8-10 hour ques are coming from.

Betawatch: December 13 - 19, 2014