Posted: Feb 24th 2011 11:14AM Comrade Domovoi said

I'm not part of the EVE Online defense league, as I have quit it a while back due to the time investment for "fun," but this isn't really the same thing is it? EVE is one giant world, World of Tanks is a giant lobby with hosted matches. Sure its still quite a damn achievement for one server but does it really count?

Posted: Feb 24th 2011 11:19AM ArhK said

How do they handle massive fight lag ?

CCP staff does't seem to be able to handle 1000 vs 1000, or even 500 vs 500 sometimes....

Posted: Feb 24th 2011 1:51PM SgtBaker1234556 said

@ArhK

It used to be like that - now the server dies at 50 vs 50

Posted: Feb 24th 2011 11:35AM Rodj Blake said

Were all 91,311 really all on the same server and playing the game though?

Or does that number include people queueing in lobbies?

Posted: Feb 24th 2011 11:38AM Innocentte said

I am thinking that Guinness people do not have a clue about how a real MMO server shard works, nor the difference between a server farm that supports games like GW, EVE, WoT, etc and ones that support traditional MMOs such as WoW, EQx, CoH/CoV, LotRO, and so forth.

In short, they have messed up.
This 'Achievement' should be pulled.

Posted: Feb 24th 2011 11:50AM Rodj Blake said

@Innocentte

After a little research, the record for "Most Players Online Simultaneously on One MMO Server" doesn't actually show up on guinnessworldrecords.com.

Posted: Feb 24th 2011 12:01PM Pingles said

Well, I think the record will stand as ONE server handled the entire load of players.

But the server software definitely is not doing as much work as EVE. World of Tanks is currently played in 16v16 battles only.

Posted: Feb 24th 2011 12:18PM Wilhelm2451 said

You bit on that press release, swallowed it without question, and then went for the "in your face EVE" reaction? Really? A new sheriff in town?

I mean, you've played the WoT beta right? You never see more than 31 other people in a match. So were there just 91K players in the lobby and queue? Let's see some investigative blogging! Go ask them to define whatinthehell they mean.

I'd do it, but I'm too lazy.

Posted: Feb 24th 2011 12:28PM pross182 said

Yeah I tried the beta for this game, though only for a few battles. But I fail to see how this game is an MMO anymore than Diablo 2 is an mmo. If someone can explain how it is I'd be more than happy to change my stance.

Posted: Feb 24th 2011 12:30PM distiler said

16 vs 16 battles, no persistency and a global chat and they call it mmo. What a bullshit RP crap, how is Massively not taking a shot at this?

Posted: Feb 24th 2011 12:36PM Nickelpat said

By single server population they of course mean "Most people in a glorified chatroom". I love WoT, great game, but comparing it to EVE's single server where people actually interact, fight, trade, pirate, and play on the one server as opposed to the "single-server" in WoT where players sit and chat, maybe go through some text menus to buy something. But the actual gameplay happens on separate servers. I can't argue that they got the most people on one server, but EVE still has the most people PLAYING on a single server. Not sitting and chatting.

Posted: Feb 24th 2011 1:28PM Tristik said

I think this would be better defined as number of connections to a single game server instead of what it seems to insinuate (IE: people playing simultaneously on a single server).

Posted: Feb 24th 2011 2:30PM Germaximus said

I've never been too interested in this game, sometimes i wanna test it out and stuff but mostly not.
That is a very cool piece of news.

Posted: Feb 24th 2011 2:45PM Renyojd said

@ distiler (and everyone)

Just to point out that this was on the Russian server - which is (I believe) operating with the persistant Clan Wars map enabled.

Posted: Feb 24th 2011 2:48PM Renyojd said

Meh - reply fail. ;-)

Just to add - I'm not discussing whether this should be classed an MMO - just correcting / mentioning something that may be relevant to that discussion. :-)

Posted: Feb 24th 2011 3:29PM PiOmega said

They just call everything an mmo these days, don't they. Anything for the cash shop I guess. If this is an mmo, I wonder what wargaming dot net thinks WWIIOnline is, an mmmorpg? I'd rather resub WWIIO and play with tanks on a large scale than do this in small matches that I can experience by reinstalling BF1942.

Posted: Feb 27th 2011 10:41PM Averice said

@PiOmega Yeah, everything is an MMO these days. People are back tracking and claiming that Diablo 1 was an MMO. Why? Cause it had multiplayer!

But whatever, there's no definitions that matter anymore really, you can apply any label to anything you want and it works. I'm sure there's some sociological reason for this.

Posted: Feb 24th 2011 3:57PM Tizmah said

I don't think you guys understand. While it may not be on the same map, people are all still connected to ONE server. It still counts in this regard. They never said in the world of a game, they said on the same SERVER which WoT has only one.

You guys are just getting defensive for no reason.

Posted: Feb 25th 2011 4:49PM Luftwaffles said

@Tizmah

Agreed. One server is one server.

I was indifferent about the article, then my attention was grabbed by all the defensive anger everyone is spewing in the comments. MMO or not, it gets points in my book for making all the EVE fanboys rage.

Posted: Feb 28th 2011 3:27PM missingpiece said

What does this have to do with fanboy rage ? If you say the importance is that it is one server then you make it a hardware issue. And this news would not have any importance on massively; it would have to figure on slashdot or whereever. Calling it one server is wrong already, since this is done on server clusters aka shards. Not single nodes.

Since it is on massively and the reporter put into relation to EVE it is fair enough stating that this is not well researched. I think the reporter should have gone deeper into comparing "what" the respective server cluster is delivering as a service. Last not least since this is not the first time massively is posting this far fetched comparison.

Oh, and I guess it would be fair mentioning that Second Life held number one since 2007 (http://users.telenet.be/mmodata/Charts/PCUShard.png).

And if you look at skype : they hold how many concurrent users in their global chat ?
| 1 | 2 |