Posted: Feb 24th 2011 1:19PM ScottishViking said

I always hope that this kind of expansion, from a relatively small organization, doesn't fit into one of those classic "expanded too much too quickly" examples. I'm comfortable with the "slow growth" they've had so far; love it or leave it, EVE has been a huge success in terms of sustainability and gradual success. I hope they apply this philosophy to their other global teams.

Posted: Feb 24th 2011 1:37PM SgtBaker1234556 said

@ScottishViking

Actually, they've expanded quite a bit in the last few years, so the "slow growth" of CCP is just the way they want us to see their image.

In reality they have huge problems with their organization, management structure and corporate culture due to the explosive growth. Adding 150+ people doesn't bode well for them.

For example:

Posted: Feb 24th 2011 1:50PM ScottishViking said

@SgtBaker1234556

I work in Human Resources, and I would not describe these issues as "huge problems." These complaints seem legitimate, but I do not think that comparing the expansion of their workforce with the "communication issues" between management and the floor can be described as "huge problems." I can't think of many development studios that have not, at some point, had vertical communication issues.

Posted: Feb 24th 2011 4:52PM SgtBaker1234556 said

@ScottishViking

Oh sure, most organizations do suffer from those issues at some point.

I'm just saying the "slow growth" you were referring to isn't really true. They've been suffering from the "expanded too much too quickly" syndromes quite a while now. Those links are just examples. Talking to ex-employees gives more or less the same picture. The general idea seems to be that a job at CCP is a nice "adventure", but it's definitely not something you want to build long-term career on (since they lack career paths).

And also, they are going to bring the U.S total to 300 with these 150 new jobs - which means they already have 150 people in Atlanta. What the *ell are they doing?

As far as I know they only have 2-3 mission writers for EVE in there.

The rest are doing ..? World of Twilight?

Posted: Feb 25th 2011 12:35AM JuliusSeizure said

@SgtBaker1234556

CCP America essentially grew from what was White Wolf Game Studios, before the merger. They added some EVE staff and whatnot, but it's the heart of White Wolf's operations. It's the logical place to base the development of their World of Darkness MMO, so the logical conclusion is that they're looking to hire fresh blood, who are already acquainted with the company and/or the IP, rather than drain their EVE team.

I don't see that causing any major problems regarding too much growth since it's basically a new team with its own infrastructure apart from the Icelandic crew.

Posted: Feb 24th 2011 1:21PM tk421242 said

Hopefully this will speed up the development of WOD. Also like the fact they are utilizing local colleges for positions. Perhaps internships or jobs early in their careers for a company like CCP could create a much needed shift in development industry wide.

Posted: Feb 24th 2011 1:31PM Lateris said

Posted: Feb 24th 2011 2:06PM Aganazer said

True story, while out house shopping I met a couple selling their house to move closer to the relocated CCP office. I *almost* made an offer for their house right on the spot if it included a WoD full access beta.

Posted: Feb 24th 2011 3:11PM Arkanaloth said

They have a job posted for a character artist and I'm seriously tempted to apply for it but it's in Iceland. >_>

Posted: Feb 25th 2011 7:13AM Brendan Drain said

@Arkanaloth I've got to be honest, Iceland looked like a really nice place last time I was there. I just fell in love with the place, can't wait to go back and see it all again some time.

Posted: Feb 24th 2011 3:49PM PiOmega said

quote: Also like the fact they are utilizing local colleges for positions.
That's often how it works. Companies send out recruiters/head hunters to college job fairs etc. Universities for programmers and local/community colleges for artists. Community colleges also offer multimedia certs which can pretty much be perpetually taken/refreshed (part time) thus always having an opportunity to get into job fairs etc.

Anyway, good for CCP creating jobs in the US, certainly government programs cant/dont do that here apart from fudging numbers and preventing job creation.

Posted: Feb 25th 2011 2:48PM (Unverified) said

CCP has been posting a lot of jobs for quite some time, but as I understand it, have had difficulty filling the spots. I have some concern about the culture of the company and game being whole when increasing the size of the place by 50% so quickly. On the other hand, they've been having significant issues allocating resources between all the projects they have (EVE, Dust 519, WoD) and a lot of elements have been ditched shortly after the devs birthed them and existing bugs have lingered far too long. More blood and warm bodies will help things move along, if done right.

WoW Archivist: A Glyphmas story