Posted: Feb 24th 2011 12:11PM Space Cobra said

I dunno about this... >.>

So, basically, the Doctor is our quest giver and sends us out on quests?

"This has been in development for some time", but this is the first we've heard of it.

And Three Rings, while they make good games, they are mostly fun, browser-based, lite affairs (Puzzle Pirates). So this is going to be such a game, with "Doctor Who" skinned over it.

Posted: Feb 24th 2011 12:24PM madcartoonist said

@Space Cobra
I think you are right that it will be a light affair. I expect the multiplayer side of it will be mostly social or will just involve playing mini games together. It still may very well be a fun game but not very deep. At best I could see it being like Free Realms or maybe more likely star wars clone wars adventures.

Posted: Feb 24th 2011 12:15PM Innocentte said

Tom Baker as the Doctor FTW !

Posted: Feb 24th 2011 12:18PM Space Cobra said

@Innocentte

Of course! :D

Sheesh, I can see this turning off-topic! :P

Posted: Feb 24th 2011 12:26PM Sireangelus said

Much as I love Doctor who I'm not sure how well it'll work as an online game. I'd love to see it succeed though.

Posted: Feb 24th 2011 12:32PM Lateris said

I don't really put to much faith in web browser based MMO's. The production quality is never really quite that good as a PC based MMO. I think Dr Who would make a great single player RPG game with a story that has choices that we see in games like mass effect , dragon age, and old school games like blade runner.

Posted: Feb 24th 2011 12:33PM aurickle said

The thing that makes Dr. Who work is the Doctor himself. An MMO would have to either turn him into a cameo role (essentially removing the magic from the setting) or be heavily instanced so that he can be present on a personal level (but wrecking the MMO side of things).

I just can't imagine how this concept will work well. A far better choice would have been Torchwood.

Posted: Feb 24th 2011 12:39PM 10thDoctor said

@aurickle

Agreed. Especially with the adventure game already out with continual updates.

Posted: Feb 24th 2011 1:27PM MMOaddict said

Huge fan of Dr. Who here. My kids love him too, so this is cool as long as it's a Fun game.

Posted: Feb 24th 2011 2:54PM mystique said

Well being a Dr Who fan since Tom Baker played him I will def check it out. If it is lite fun gaming sounds good cuz I will have GW2 for the heavy stuff. ;)

Posted: Feb 25th 2011 3:04PM TruFaith said

I really enjoy Doctor Who. I think I'll give this a try!

Hands-on with Windborne's early access

Posted on Apr 18th 2014 5:00PM

Ask Massively: What's with all the WoW hate?

Posted on Apr 18th 2014 12:00PM