Posted: Feb 24th 2011 12:22PM rgolch said

@senral

It's amazing how some of you are totally incapable of hearing anything that isn't totally supportive of your opinion. Re-read my comment; it isn't bashing Rift at all. I guess unless I totally drink the cool-aid, and say how ground-breaking and superb Rift is, I'm gonna get grayed out. Ok, here goes....

Rift is super-duper-didily-icious.... Gee whiz geeping willicurs... Isn't it just the cat's meow..... It's gonna change gaming as we know it......

Posted: Feb 24th 2011 11:34AM elsightos said

Despite all the blizz hating and people saying this is them acting to a genuine threat please remember they have played this tactic in the past against both Warhammer (Lifting WOTLK NDA and going closed beta on release day) and Conan with wotlk anouncements.

Its a fair tactic the only way to put down one overhype flame is to light a bigger one next to it.

(p.s. I do play rift and im not a hater)

Posted: Feb 24th 2011 12:28PM glagamesh said

activision has run blizzard into the ground.cataclysm was uninspired as hell.the new patch=rehash molten core,zulgrub/zulaman.not worthy my cash. i went 12/12 in the first month of cataclysms release.wow is dead,hello rift our new overlords!

Posted: Feb 24th 2011 12:48PM socialenemy2007 said

EA cracks me up. Disabling the cancel account button? HAHA

Posted: Feb 24th 2011 1:24PM Minofan said

I've no interest in RIFT, but if it's launch somehow provokes the Guild Wars feature build to arrive tomorrow - rather than March - I will consider a valuable addition to the MMO roster. ^_^

Posted: Feb 24th 2011 1:51PM KDolo said

@Minofan

Well said! In fact, I support the release of any and all MMOs that lights a fire under Arenanet's collective asses.

Posted: Feb 24th 2011 1:54PM Seldra said

Listen, WoW is a good game, for all it's faults it's a good game. The problem with WoW is the trolls, and the shitty community Blizzard doesn't feel like policing. Unless you post in the forum with a high pvp rank, or be one of those clique guilds you'll just get flamed regardless of the validity or well intentioned your posts are.

Now I won't be playing Rift, too traditional mmo for me but I hope and wish them the best. Keep the community clean and ban the bad eggs when you see them. Let them go back to WoW and the cesspool that is their community.

Posted: Feb 24th 2011 7:19PM Aelon said

@Seldra

That's because high-ranked WoW players (PvE or PvP) are the only ones worthy of "respect" to most 15-year-olds.

Posted: Feb 24th 2011 3:08PM ImperialPanda said

As a couple other people have said, companies will take "countermeasures" regardless of whether a new launch will seriously affect their subscriber numbers. it just makes to much sense to not do so.

As far as Rift being an actual threat or not, esp to WoW, I doubt it. It may be a decent game, but it doesn't have the same marketing pull. They may have made a polished game, but they're in a poor position gameplay-wise (opinion) and a poor position marketing-wise (fact). I think 33 launch servers may be slightly optimistic. 33 is shooting for something like 500-600k launch week sales. I think Rift will pull closer to 350-400k first week.

They're anticipating success before they even launch. Even thought the risk is reasonably low, such things are frowned upon in business. :)

I agree with some OPs that Rift will probably plateau relatively quickly. I think the game will peak at 700-800k subs. And of course that's a great number. But launches of TOR, GW2, Tera, and most of all Titan will devastate sub numbers.

Posted: Feb 24th 2011 3:25PM shockologist said

• 1 heart
Oh there's more....Unprecidented Cencorship in blizz forums for one....I was gonna cancel sub which generally charges on 25th and some how it charged on 23rd...how convinient.

Chostcrawler you had your time you chose to listen to the wrong people and the first death pangs of WoW are truly being felt with this launch. Hope your Titan Project goes well.

Posted: Feb 24th 2011 4:45PM Randomessa said

I don't know about those other games, but GW2's Norn week reveals have sure kept me from gnawing my hands off waiting for the dust around Rift to settle... and that goes for when I get home if the servers are still full to bursting then, too.

Posted: Feb 24th 2011 5:27PM Fakeassname said

SOE has probably got more to worry about from Rift than Bliz-act does.

Rift = WoW without the WoW stigma and toon-ish GFX, that probably sounds great to EQ players who have wanted to quit for something less dry than the EQ series (1 or 2) yet haven't done so due to not wanting to play wow.

on that grounds Rift is actually a pretty big threat to WoW as well, not because it's fundamentally different, but because it's WoW with out the WoW (if that makes any sense at all). something that current World of Warcraft players who are tired of the game (yet resistant to changing to something unfamiliar) will undoubtedly find appealing as well.

do I find Rift appealing? no.

but I still have to admit that the launch of Rift is the birth of another "big" dog" mmo. seeing as how the mmo consumer base if virtually maxed out, add in another "big dog" like this inevitably means that other titles will loose some numbers. the big guys like SOE, Bliz-act, Turbine, and NC soft will feel the pinch but that pinch is nothing to what the little guys like Nexon (biggest of the little), Funcom, CCP, and other of the like are going to feel.

Posted: Feb 24th 2011 9:50PM Ragemaster9999 said

@Fakeassname

you cant seriously say that RIFT is going to hurt CCP or impose any type of pressure on CCP to hype eve up. Two different market segments, and CCP has their sandbox area on lockdown

Posted: Feb 24th 2011 6:25PM Typhron said

I have a feeling any talk about the ptr launch going along with the Rift's 'release' will go about as well as any other Rift talk on WoW's forums: A ban and a forum smile.

Posted: Feb 24th 2011 6:28PM Typhron said

@Typhron

Forum smile?

Posted: Feb 24th 2011 7:18PM (Unverified) said

Blizzard's main counter-measure against Rift was to build a time machine, go back in time to November 2004, and release a game which copied 95% of Rift's features. Clever buggers.

Posted: Feb 24th 2011 10:30PM ImperialPanda said

@(Unverified)

I see what you did there. '-')b

Posted: Feb 25th 2011 11:00AM Germaximus said

I would bet MO's trial has more to do with Xyson than Rift.

Posted: Feb 25th 2011 2:58PM Budukahn said

I'm hearing a lot of good things in terms of subscriber numbers, but I heard them when Conan came out, when WAR came out, when Aion came out and more.

I'm totally hoping Rift will be a success - competition forces companies to up their game. Blizzard has a history of releasing updates and announcements that curiously coincide with the release of serious contenders (I remember how PVE => PVP server transfers suddenly became available around when WAR came out).

I'm not playing Rift yet, and to be perfectly honest I'm not sure why I would want to. It's done a poor job selling itself as a unique experience massively different from anything I already get from my current games. Still, if it's able to keep it's players in three months, then it'll have done better than most of it's competitors and I'll probably give it a look.

Posted: Feb 25th 2011 7:49PM Frizz said

While I dunno whether Wow or RIFT is stronger, i don't really care.
I think RIFT is seriously lacking content. I played a week and I already saw at least 25% of the game. So Seeing that I played quite alot and it was only beta. RIFT needs to come up with something within 6 months to keep people playing their game. I remembered Warhammer Online had loads of servers all full when that launches. It was super popular at the start, now it's half empty.

All in all RIFt does seem alot better than WoW though. But yea it IS similar to WoW in gameplay. THough I find RIFt alot better in it than WoW does. Quests are alot better done, skill trees are fun to do. Every race can be every class.
However it's still a generic MMO style. It's not any spectacularly new aside from the RIFts which also feel quite generic after a while imo. Of course someone else might find it quite entertaining. And I was entertained for a bit so yea.