Posted: Feb 24th 2011 10:49AM rgolch said

Agree with Apakal. I tried Rift in the last beta, and absolutely did not think it was any big deal. Not saying it was bad; it was pretty polished and was moderately entertaining. But it has been completely and utterly overhyped. It has an instantaneous following because there is always going to be a strong anti-wow contingent. But it's gonna get lost in the mix with all the other also-rans. And to answer your question, no, Blizzard is not scarred.

Posted: Feb 24th 2011 11:03AM Zuato said

@rgolch I'd say Blizzard is at least concerned. They have taken to banning and locking threads on their forums for anyone who mentions a competitor, especially so for Rift.

Cataclysm has to be considered a poor launch for them compared to Wrath and BC. I know many players in my guild stopped logging in over a month ago as the 80 to 85 content is completed rather quickly leaving nothing but the current raids and dailies (barf).

Granted what I am seeing is a small drop in the bucket, but it has to concern them considering how polished Rift is at launch compared to everything else that has come before it.

Posted: Feb 24th 2011 12:19PM Greyhame said

@Zuato That would be because they tend to remove threads that don't fit the topic of the forum, and seeing as there's no forum for "Talk about games other than Warcraft" there's no reason to keep them. They also tend to turn int flame wars.

Posted: Feb 24th 2011 6:25PM ShivanSwordsman said

@Zuato

Honestly. Look at you fanboys. I played Rift and while it was very polished, it was also very boring, and brought NOTHING new to the formula. Seriously, all this voting down of anyone that doesn't say that Rift's turds sparkle like gold and are encrusted with diamonds is annoying. This is the SAME exact thing as when Aion came out, and look at it. Most forgot it existed.

I'm not saying Rift is a bad game. I liked it. However, it's just another monthly subscription game, another "You bought the game for $50! Great! Now we get to take your game hostage every month for more money" game. Otherwise, I'd probably have bought it as a side game from playing Guild Wars. But this constant raging of the fanboys acting like it's the next bastion of awesome and is going to dethrone WoW and OMG THE OTHER COMPANIES FEAR US LOLOLOLOL... it's getting old.

Stow the fanboyism. It's a decent game, butno one fears the coming of Rift. It's like farting in space. It happened, and everyone makes a big deal about it, but it really didn't do all that much... and fades away.

Posted: Feb 24th 2011 10:54AM Ohhlaawd said

Scared that RIFT is going to become the dominant MMO? Of course not.

Scared that RIFT might temporarily take away some of their subscription income? Definitely. Even a 2-3% drop in subs is something that a company as sophisticated as ATVI is going to notice.

Basic business stuff!

Posted: Feb 24th 2011 7:14PM Aelon said

@Puremallace

We can only hope. The thing Blizzard both lacks and needs most is actual competition.

Re-releasing every old instance is sitting on your arse, raking more cash into your bloated belly.

*farts*

Posted: Feb 24th 2011 11:34PM SnarlingWolf said

@Puremallace

ATVI/Blizzard stock is actually a lot of companies, with other titles and studios. Their stock has actually been doing pretty well. CoD franchise is one of their big titles btw.

Posted: Feb 24th 2011 10:55AM Valdur said

This time everything is pointing out that Rift is the real thing.Trion worked hard and listened to its community.If they keep focusing on the problems and fixed it as fast as they did during Beta,no matter what the competition will do,Rift will leave a serious dent in the competitions player base.

Posted: Feb 24th 2011 11:09AM Marekh said

What is funny about MMORPG fans compared to other consumers, is that they don't really perceive themselves as consumers, but they act as if they were their favourite game's investors.

If a game goes well, it broadens the market.

The bigger the market, the more games will be published. A well structured market doesn't produce only mainstream products, but instead it tries to satisfy all tastes.

That's to say, you may have to thank Rambo if you had your Lord of the Rings.

Posted: Feb 24th 2011 2:43PM AlienFanatic said

@Marekh

Thing is, Marekh, I don't think the MMO market is expanding. To expand, you have to bring in new TYPES of players, not simply re-shuffle the existing player base. Right now, I don't believe the genre appeals much outside of itself, in that grandma or the sports jocks, or the FPS guys have little interest in MMOs.

RIFT and virtually every MMO in recent memory is just a riff on the same type of fantasy-based RPG. I'm thinking that the vast, vast majority of RIFT players will come from the ranks of ex-WOW, ex-EQ, ex-WAR, etc., communities.

The only game that seems to be capable of bringing in "new" players is probably TOR. It's a rare Sci-Fi game, which is a largely unexplored genre for MMOs. (You could say that STO and SW:Galaxies blazed the way, but SW:G came out long before WOW blew the MMO market wide open, and STO suffered a lackluster launch).

We'll see, but I think that the MMO market is very, very stagnant atm.

Posted: Feb 24th 2011 5:11PM Fakeassname said

@AlienFanatic

uhhh ... TOR = new mmo players? what the hell are you talking about?

I do agree that the current player base is not expanding, but there is nothing you just said about TOR that I agree with. the entire SW universe is (and always has been) Sci-Fantasy, most SW fans already play mmo's (SW:G, WoW, or EQ1&2 being the most likely), and for the record the Sci-Fi "setting" is actually quite explored MMO territory with a vast majority of that being just as Sci-Fantasy as TOR will be.

perhaps it (TOR) might draw in some fresh blood from the console sector who thinks it's going to be a multiplayer version of KTOR/Mass Effect, but thos hands will be off the keyboards and back on the controllers just as soon as those players figure out that a mmorpg has got about as much in common with a narrative driven RPG as a Tactical RPG does.

if you want to see mmo market expansion go pay attention to the MMO-shooter (Global agenda, Firefall, Tribes next, APB, etc...) or the tactical mmo (much smaller list with the likes of Evony not helping but Might & Mmagic online picking up some of that slack). Action mmos (Vindicitus, Dynasty Warriors online) are also a realm of innovation that could draw in more consumers to the mmo market ... just as soon as the consumers who are interested in those types of titles figure out they exist.

Posted: Feb 24th 2011 11:16AM (Unverified) said

I gotta hand it to them they released a somewhat polished MMO and they will be rewarded for it. But IMO the game lacked depth, I didnt care about the world I was in or the class I was playing.....Rifts were cool like the first 5 times then it became boring...The classes seemed pretty lackluster imo also...I dont know, there was nothing about the world that made me hooked, but I wish them the best in hopes for adding more diversity to the market. (Btw I dont play WoW)

Posted: Feb 24th 2011 11:17AM UnknownUser said

• 1 heart
Trion just announced via Facebook that they have over a million registered accounts. Pretty impressive. Now let's see what they can do with them.

Posted: Feb 24th 2011 11:20AM Sephirah said

Well, considered that reading the forums many WoW players are annoyed by the recycled content (ZG, ZA), I don't know if it's really a good move...

Posted: Feb 24th 2011 12:58PM Utakata said

@Puremallace

I have notied that no new raid tier content has been released for 4.1 as of yet. This is not ot say it isn't there....perhaps the devs aren't ready to release information about that yet. But I do find it odd with their history of announcing *raid content right around when they drop PRT patch notes if not before, is completely absent this time. Perhaps they where in a hurry for some reason.

*Shifts tinfoil hat*

*Note/Update: There's a new model of Ragnaros (now comes with legs) up on MMO Champs. Perhaps this is something to do with the missing raid content information...as I understand he/it is supposed to be the next uber tier raid boss for this expansion.

Posted: Feb 24th 2011 2:52PM Seldra said

Recycling bosses seems to be what Bliz is doing these days. Neferian, Rag, and Ony, which is funny since they recycled her once already.

Posted: Feb 24th 2011 7:22PM (Unverified) said

@Utakata - the Firelands raid (featuring Ragnaros at full strength in his home plane) was announced for 4.1 even before Cataclysm launched.

Posted: Feb 24th 2011 11:32AM senral said

• 1 heart
Rift has 1 million registered users and it's not even live yet lol.

Posted: Feb 24th 2011 11:52AM rgolch said

@senral

That's because of an open free beta the last time around. For instance, I'm a registered user, and won't be sub'ing to the game. And for all the Cata hate, it was much more profitable than any other non-WoW launch. Look, I don't think WoW is superb either. But I understand that most of the WoW hate is that people have played the game way too long, and are just bored of it. So instead of creating the next umpteen alt character, they're starting to go to alt games, which is fine. But it doesn't necessarily mean a game like Rift is better than WoW, it's just fresher. But it too will get stale, and probably won't have the staying power of WoW. But who knows, maybe all of you will prove me wrong.

Posted: Feb 24th 2011 12:06PM senral said

• Half a heart
@rgolch

WoW's counter measure seems to be trolls. Millions and millions of trolls. We like shiney and new. By the way, as long as you are predicting the future, can I get some winning lotto numbers?

One Shots: Hello, autumn