Posted: Feb 23rd 2011 3:02PM Arkanaloth said

I'm not surprised that mesmer may not be as we know it today, the class design philosophy seems to be very "direct damage" something mesmer as it stands today isn't *really* that good at...

She works great in GW1 since you have heroes / henchmen to make up the difference if you don't have an abundance of friends online, but with HH's gone in GW2 a mesmer would have to be able to be a pretty consistent DD no matter what build / weapon you work with... so, it's not a surprise, but I for one will be beyond happy to see mesmer return altered or otherwise.

Posted: Feb 23rd 2011 3:50PM Qho said

@Arkanaloth

In fact after last year update mesmer is one of the best direct dmg dealers in the game with Keystone , VoR and ESurge being used most . Maybe builds like often used Panic or PI looks like non dmg builds but they mostly have something else with them like domination or ilusion dmg skills .

Posted: Feb 23rd 2011 4:19PM Arkanaloth said

@Qho Yes I'm well aware of the mesmer update, my main is a mesmer and has been for over 4 years now, however, even now on her best day my ele will still flat out leave her in the dust with respect to pure magical DD. The update helped a LOT, pushing mesmer damage output up quite a few steps with the right build.. I'd say she's a touch better than a channeling rit now and if you throw in the secondary effects such as cry of pain's interrupt she goes several steps above a channeling rit. Mes also has a very good arsenal of armor-ignoring abilities but for flat out pain, Ele is still a step above.

*however* I'm talking PVE, since I don't PVP at all.

Posted: Feb 23rd 2011 5:30PM kasapina said

It's worth mentioning that since the Mesmer update organized Domain of Anguish runs have replaced Elementalist spikers with Mesmers. Though this is mostly due to the armor ignoring damage Mesmers provide, it is a fact that currently Mesmers are preferred to Elementalists when it comes to endgame PvE.

Posted: Feb 23rd 2011 5:46PM Arkanaloth said

@kasapina
I do recall mentioning the armor ignoring perks of mesmer damage. But I've seen some ele's do incredible things and it is, like all things in GW, situational... strong hex removal can break quite a few mesmer damage builds where as an ele just doesn't care. HH'ing some vanquish runs with my mes I've bumped into a few rather nasty situations due to strong hex (and enchantment) removal. I've been to one of the 4 areas of DOA but I was running DiscordWay lead for our double-discord duo, needless to say even in DOA enemies melt under that kind of damage.

Posted: Feb 23rd 2011 3:07PM juanele said

Well since they got rid of hexes then of course the Mesmer would be a little different if it were to return.

Posted: Feb 23rd 2011 6:23PM GaaaaaH said

@juanele
I hope they keep curses and punishment playstyle if they are in it. Playing from Australia gives tiny windows of opportunity to interrupt a skill of moderate length.

Posted: Feb 23rd 2011 3:22PM Yoh said

Damn, was that a concession or what?
They practically said, yeah, their coming, we just don't wanna say that yet.

Whenever it is something that's false, they are pretty quick to shut it down and say no, we're not doing that. But this is more like, maybe I will, maybe I won't.

Come on, you don't really think that we're going to buy that line do you?

Posted: Feb 23rd 2011 3:39PM ShivanSwordsman said

They better be bringing back the Dervish. Ripping enchantments from myself and enemies... dancing to the sound of my enemy's pained death screams... while obviously clapping to Riverdance over my keyboard... mmm.

Posted: Feb 23rd 2011 3:59PM Dirame said

@ShivanSwordsman
Ah well, sorry to break it to you dude, you're just gonna have to play a Guardian.

Posted: Feb 23rd 2011 4:23PM Arkanaloth said

@ShivanSwordsman
I think a lot of people feel like Mes and 'Sin are two of the 3 classes left. that just leaves one medium armor class and to my knowledge (and correct me if I'm wrong) the only one left from GW1 that hasn't been accounted for in some way is Derv.

Pure speculation though.. I could be wrong.

Posted: Feb 23rd 2011 5:30PM Faction 3 said

@Arkanaloth Yeah, but it could be a different class all together. Like the Guardian was. The Dervish COULD be, but theres the same chance it could be something else not even in GW1.

Wait & see!!!

Posted: Feb 23rd 2011 6:17PM Utakata said

@Faction 3

I am going to wildly speculate that it will akin to a Ritualist...but something with medium armor for the 3rd class. Similar to druid/shaman classes in other other games...as with Guardian is similar to palidan classes of same. But with more a Guildwar flavoring or a Ritualist.

One of the reasons why I am thinking of this...the Norn and Sylvari need another nature/mystic based profession other than Rangers to truely compliment their class.

As I said...I am wildly specutaling on this. So don't be too surprised I am way off base on this.

Posted: Feb 23rd 2011 9:25PM Locus said

Firstly, Mesmer had all but been confirmed over a month ago:

Secondly, it might help if the writers/editors on that site knew the difference between the words "compliment" and "complement"; they seem hopelessly unprofessional. For all the flaws of Massively, at least the blog writers here have a good grasp of the English language.

Posted: Feb 26th 2011 12:02PM Frizz said

@Locus That picture just added to what they said really. :p People who like the mesmers playstyle will be happy. But they never confirmed a mesmer as actual profession. It's more that it's very likely that the mesmer is one of the professions. ^^'

And that picture is at least half a year old, hehe.