Posted: Feb 22nd 2011 3:15PM Germaximus said

I had no idea they were gonna make a game out of it. Of course i also wasnt a fan of the show until probably 2 years after it was canceled. I simply wasnt able to watch it when it was on tv.
Firefly is an absolutely beautiful show, Joss Whedon is just awesome.

I would totally play a game based on it.

Posted: Feb 22nd 2011 3:19PM Space Cobra said

I am surprised you didn't mention the Trion Worlds/SyFy effort going on now to mix two media into one. It will be interesting to see how well they can pull it off, since it is being planned before-hand.

Actually, many of the things you bring up are just what can work best in a game, particularly a MASSIVE MULTIPLAYER ONLINE one. It's true, you are going to have to stretch things out and make allowances. There is going to have to be more than one Jedi/Sith per in-game Square Mile. Really, some IPs, IMO, should NEVER be made into these types of games, but I understand why they are (rabid fans).

And really, in many cases, you can "flex" certain things: Add new story elements or enlarge current groups in them (more smuggler guilds that are at odds in Firefly, Pirate Guilds, etc.)

Posted: Feb 22nd 2011 7:46PM JuliusSeizure said

@Space Cobra

I'd say it's the rabid fans who object. It's the great mass of casual fans, those who just enjoy an IP and don't obsess over the details, who are the reason they can get made.

Posted: Feb 22nd 2011 7:50PM JuliusSeizure said

@Space Cobra

Posted: Feb 23rd 2011 2:13AM DancingCow said

@Space Cobra

Hopefully the TRION/SyFy effort will fare better than Stargate Worlds.

Respect really should be a two-way street. While it made for an interesting episode, killing off the Asgard was a major blow to the MMO that was being developed to run parallel to the TV series and included Asgard as a playable race.

Learning from that minor disaster I hope that future TV/MMO collaborations include contractual protections against one user of an IP screwing over another.

Posted: Feb 22nd 2011 3:51PM Saker said

• Half a heart
I despise the made-up term "IP" and basically everything it encapsulates. The concept, it's "evolution" is recent and a symptom of a progressively declining de-volving "culture".

Good article though!

Posted: Feb 22nd 2011 4:04PM Caliber said

@Saker

Intellectual property may or may not be made up, but a fictional term it is not.

Posted: Feb 22nd 2011 4:38PM Apakal said

@Saker

I think you could have found a few more adjectives to throw into an otherwise hollow post. Good effort though.

Posted: Feb 22nd 2011 4:43PM (Unverified) said

@Saker What else would you call intellectual property? The license? Or just leave off intellectual and call it property? Do you have a problem with people referring to land as real property? It's come into a lot more frequent use because there's a heck of a lot more IP floating around these days than there was 50 years ago.

I've never quite understood the special attraction to Firefly, since at best it feels like a generic sci-fi setting that's been repeated across numerous books and games. Tramp freighter full of adventurers who fights the good fight while avoiding the Evil Authority but also Even Worse Inhuman Evil? How is that different than Star Wars or the Traveller RPG? I'm not saying it's awful, but when I sat down to watch the series and then the movie, I was left wondering what everyone was going on about.

I think games are best when they remember that they're games first and showcases of the IP second, and that what makes a good passive entertainment vehicle does not usually make for a good interactive one. Star Wars Galaxies was a great example of how to do it the wrong way, and Lord of the Rings Online does a very good job of trying to make the PCs feel just as important as the Fellowship.

Posted: Feb 22nd 2011 7:32PM 10thDoctor said

@(Unverified)

The characters and their portrayal. Same thing that separates any show from any other show. Plots and settings have been recycled for centuries.

Posted: Feb 22nd 2011 7:58PM JuliusSeizure said

@(Unverified)

It's the dialogue, characterisation and acting that distinguish it for most fans. That is exactly why a Firefly MMO is a bad idea. The 'Verse itself is just the Wild West in space, without the slightest pretension otherwise. It's not strong enough to present a viable setting without the talent that went into each episode propping it up.

Posted: Feb 23rd 2011 4:15PM (Unverified) said

@10thDoctor Well, as science fiction I think you can have some pretty distinct settings, such that the settings themselves are characters. I didn't mention the plot, because I know there are a limited number of plots. Like, for instance, the Dr. Who universe is pretty darn different and I'm not sure a tramp freighter full of erstwhile adventurers and freedom fighters would fit all that well there, or in Star Trek. But, I understand that it's about the writing and the characters, I just didn't find any of them particularly compelling.

Posted: Feb 22nd 2011 4:00PM seldin said

Not a bad article. I enjoy a firefly game. FYI - they are digitally rereleasing the firefly series on TV. Maybe it will get good enough rating they may ttry and revive the series. Even alot of the cast said they love to do firefly again.

Posted: Feb 22nd 2011 4:22PM DeepSleeper said

Couldn't they reuse some of the pen and paper RPG book stuff, the stuff that's ALREADY part of the IP?

Posted: Feb 22nd 2011 7:12PM Wildcard273 said

@DeepSleeper

I was thinking the exact same thing. I didn't get the Firefly P&P RPG, but I would think that you could take the elements, classes, story ideas, etc from that. Now that's just going to make me go get the P&P RPG. Darn you DeepSleeper!

And yes, I will also start watching my DVDs again

Posted: Feb 22nd 2011 7:59PM JuliusSeizure said

@Wildcard273

I've got a copy. It's nicely done, but painfully thin and light on new material. :\

Posted: Feb 22nd 2011 8:29PM DeepSleeper said

@JuliusSeizure

That ... kind of figures somehow. Shame. So they would indeed have to come up with new stuff one way or another.

I'm okay with that, but I understand why some fans wouldn't be.

Posted: Feb 22nd 2011 6:41PM (Unverified) said

Now you've done it. You've gone and outed the Universe Blizzard's next MMO is based in.

Universe of Firefly (or 'Verse of Firefly)

Posted: Feb 23rd 2011 2:47AM Graill440 said

@(Unverified)

I would truly think about misbehaving if blizzard did that, what a giant suprise that would be, but then thinking about this being true is probably just the mudders milk getting to me.

Posted: Feb 22nd 2011 8:45PM Irem said

This entire article sums up why I would -love- to see a well-done Mass Effect MMO. There's so much going on in that universe that has nothing to do with Shepard or the Reapers that they really wouldn't need to work around things like "Well, not everyone can be an N7 operative or a Spectre" at all. I understand the need to expand on IPs for the sake of actually making the setting work as an MMO, but a lot of times the stuff that needs changing is the stuff that made me a fan of the IP in the first place (case in point: LotRO--I tried, I really did).