Posted: Feb 21st 2011 6:46PM Sorithal said

The Bard class is pretty fun to play. It also gets a rather nice +15% movement speed buff early on in soul point investment which makes running around (and swimming!) faster.

Not to mention you kill things with music. How awesome is that?

Posted: Feb 22nd 2011 4:29AM Jolie said

@Sorithal 'Not to mention you kill things with music. How awesome is that? '

Been doing that in Lotro for 3 years :)

Posted: Feb 22nd 2011 2:15PM Joshua Przygocki said

@Jolie More like screaming... The music doesn't do crap damage; I just use it for buffs.

Posted: Feb 21st 2011 6:47PM Halfcentaur said

I never got to try a bard out, though I'd hoped to. For some reason I thought the beta ended tonight at 10pm. I put off playing the game and ended up missing out on a last chance. After playing as elves and dwarves, I wasn't feeling the animation and movement and almost quit the game. But then I made a human warrior with a 2 handed sword. Those are some great animations and movements, a nice sense of momentum, it's just fun to move the player around. I may just end up buying this game.

Posted: Feb 21st 2011 7:07PM DancingCow said

I normally don't play rogues - I'm more into priests/mages - but Bard turned out to be my favourite soul by a country mile.

It's one of the few souls that doesn't come with a predefined optimal pattern of attack (via cooldowns), so you play it more than it plays you.

And like Sorithal said, the movement speed buff is really nice.

Posted: Feb 22nd 2011 10:04AM (Unverified) said

@DancingCow

It's interesting because I had the same experience. I always play a healer/mage and was torn between the two callings. That is until I played a Bard.

Posted: Feb 21st 2011 7:19PM JuliusSeizure said

• Half a heart
"it's technically only a "reveal" to the three of you who haven't been swept along in the beta hype of the last few months"

Not really, because I didn't even read the article past the first paragraph. Nothing of substance was revealed to me at all!

Ahem. Carry on, ignore my silly urge for wordplay.

Posted: Feb 21st 2011 7:43PM RizzRustbolt said

The game's "last" four souls.

Or at least, the last four they'll write about on the website.

Posted: Feb 21st 2011 9:33PM (Unverified) said

There is no truth to the rumor that Trion will force Bards to play a mini-game of Rock Star to heal in raids... so let me put that to rest.

Posted: Feb 21st 2011 11:11PM eyeball2452 said

@(Unverified)

First, that would be awesome!!

Second ...

"A good Bard can turn a group of individuals into a harmonious unit, but caught without friends, she is but a lone musician with nothing to sing but her own eulogy."

Third, Bards never stop strumming strumming in groups ... I love the heals, but I'd also like to wrap their harps around their necks ... was that too far?

Posted: Feb 21st 2011 11:28PM oxlar said

@(Unverified)

Well it is reminicent of twisting from EQ1. enough to give you carpal tunnel. The motifs only last 15 seconds, unless you put some points into increasing them which max out at 30 seconds. And you can have more than one motif going at one time, so every 15-30 seconds you re-upping all your motif buffs. It gets old fast. This was my main complaint with the bard. Other than that, I liked it.

Posted: Feb 22nd 2011 9:07AM Scarecrowe said

@eyeball2452
When I play the bard, I generally turn off game volume for the evening. :)

Posted: Feb 22nd 2011 12:57AM aurickle said

I love the bard as a secondary to the ranger. They seem to go very well together.

Actually, I think the bard is a great secondary for just about any rogue!

Posted: Feb 22nd 2011 3:57AM Wisdomandlore said

Bards are the easiest raid healing class ever designed. Just keep hitting Cadence and you heal 10+ people.

Posted: Feb 22nd 2011 5:55AM Snichy said

I always loved the idea of using magic music in battle, ideally a lot like the Wishsong from the Shannara book series, but in reality I think I personally would find playing an instrument a bit silly as I like to actually hit things :)

Posted: Feb 22nd 2011 8:16AM Mainer82 said

Is it just me or does starting out with this game become very difficult? I could barely take down the floating black soul creatures...

Posted: Feb 22nd 2011 11:21AM Haldurson said

@Mainer82
The game does have a little bit more of a learning curve than some, but it's really not that bad. Without knowing what souls/calling you tried in beta and what level you were, it's hard to say what the difficulty was that you were having. I will say that most mages have a bit more of a learning curve, at least when soloing.

If you have problems, you should try something a bit easier for starters. As I posted earlier, I had few problems playing a Bard/Ranger/Nightblade, but there are tons of decent solo-friendly combos. Figuring out what works and what doesn't, at least for me, is part of the fun. Or you can check out the official forums for advice (lots of people post their builds there as well)

Posted: Feb 22nd 2011 8:57AM Mainer82 said

Also, is there going to be a free, trail of this game like there was for STO?

Posted: Feb 22nd 2011 10:20AM Haldurson said

I played a Bard/Ranger/Nightblade to level 24 during beta, and I had a blast doing it. Bards are just fun to solo, and are also great in groups, plus they can get a nice aoe attack. You won't have the best dps, but survivability is great.