Posted: Feb 21st 2011 8:30PM Mr Angry said

Hmm, not sure what to make of this, I really feel like this EQ2 expansion has been a promotional failure, releasing the trailer the day before the game comes out, I don't get it, I've not seen much of a buzz about it, are they really only marketing to their existing customers?

Coincidentally the former executive producer is doing a phenomenal job over at Trion, I bet SOE reaaaalllly wish they were able to hang onto him now. In his own words

"When it doesn’t work out, I’ve been the last one to turn out the lights."

Let's hope it's not lights out with EQ2, but I can't help thinking something is up with the way info has been released on this expansion.

Posted: Feb 21st 2011 9:01PM Dunraven said

Wow talk about rushed thrown together crap. What is going on with SOE? There new titles DCUO, FR and SWCWA are getting all this attention while the titles that made the company is getting the bums rush.

it is heart breaking to see this.

Posted: Feb 21st 2011 9:16PM Yellowdancer said

Mr. A,

I don't think SOE is very happy with Rifts. Smedley mentioned a copy cat MMO coming out in March...so not sure exactly what happened there. I know the SOE community wishes he(forget his name) was still running EQ2. He seemed to give players what they wanted not what SOE told us we wanted. (Which is the problem with DCUO)

I'm hoping EQNext will go back to the original concept of EQ1 and build on that. Find a way to blend sandbox and theme parks. Bring Norrath back to its roots. And bring back our favorite class!

Posted: Feb 22nd 2011 9:57AM (Unverified) said

@Yellowdancer That's very interesting that Smedley is directly commenting on Rifts as a copy cat MMO.

He didn't make any bad comments over WAR, AOC, Aion etc, but this one has gotten under his skin. I actually like to see he's caring about his games and prepared to throw some punches too instead of the corporate suit dullness.

It also makes me wonder about how Smokejumper made some comments about how creating a new MMO with no existing IP or new features is foolhardy in todays market, I wish I was able to listen in on some of the discussions going on behind closed doors.

I'm betting too that the Blizzard designers are also less then happy with this, especially since Rift has ripped off their gameplay and copies key elements such as ressurection sequences etc.

It does make me wonder if Scott might even have done something personally though to cheese him off, a bad idea in a industry such as this where the next job may be with a competitor.

Posted: Feb 22nd 2011 4:39PM Tovrin said

@Yellowdancer "EQ2 is busted. It is full of ideas but just doesn't flow well. And there is no way to fix it unless you rebuild the core game. I think they just tried to force too many changes into the game trying to appeal to the WOW crowd."

I would 100% agree with that statement. But I'd take it further in that it's not a factor of trying to appease the WoW crowd. It was fundamentally broken from the beginning. All the extras broke it even futher ....

Posted: Feb 21st 2011 9:43PM Celestian said

EQ1 was only "sandbox" because they didn't have the development time or experience to create anything else.

It's easier to toss out a dungeon here and there, clumps of mobs over here, tent there, mobs here... than it is to create a world full of quests and logical content.

Sandbox = no content.

EQ was sandbox insofar as there was nothing to do. Thankfully sitting on a dungeon camp spawn for some rare spawn+rare drop isn't the norm anymore. That was far to boring to survive the birth of mmos for very long.

Regardless EQ has good memories for me, EQ2, meh, the world was nothing like EQ1 and that really turned me off. I tried raiding at the 90s and meh again, it was not fun. More gimmicky junk like WoW raids.

Posted: Feb 22nd 2011 4:52AM zangarth said

The trailer feels cheap. The fact that it was released so close to launch does not help this feeling either.

Cant help feeling like they just threw it together at the last moment.

Posted: Feb 22nd 2011 6:14AM Joystiq Login Bugs SUCK said

I am dreading what will happen after launch.

After more than 6 server crashes over the weekend due to overpopulation (although Rothgar says it was too many people having the E-Day roses quest) and up to 20 minutes zone times I can see that the first few days of Velious will be a disaster in terms of server stability.

SJ, we need Qeynos commissioned fast, we are bursting at the seams with players. Way too many. Help us lessen the load please?

Posted: Feb 22nd 2011 5:50AM djprojectx said

You guys believe that this is the first trailer? You're wrong... There has been a few trailers for DoV. The first one came out at Fan Fair. They have been all over youtube, eq2 sites, hell even on Facebook... Just because its not all over the tv like WoWs xpac is doesnt mean it wont be put togther well. This thing has been in Beta testing for awhile now. Stop being like Trolls and complaining and give it a shot....

Posted: Feb 22nd 2011 7:46AM Dril said

Did anyone else see the Nexus in that?

I mean, it literally looked *exactly* like the platform section of the Nexus.

Posted: Feb 22nd 2011 8:51AM Sharcole said

@Dril no not really sence the velious is the same layout from eq1 which has been out much longer then WoW so nahh your wrong quit trolling

Posted: Feb 22nd 2011 8:59AM Sharcole said

It would be nice when trollers just stop . The Velious content has is the same as it was in EQ1 just better grapix for EQ2 but yes it does look like some of WoW stuff becuse EQ has been out longer where do you think WoW gets the stuff from?

Posted: Feb 22nd 2011 1:26PM Dril said

@Sharcole

Ah yes, I forgot, everything in WoW comes from Everquest, absolutely everything.

My bad.

Posted: Feb 22nd 2011 9:16AM (Unverified) said

Its a good trailer, it tells the story, shows off the world and graphics and also gives hints at the new features, just about spot on although I agree it should have been released a month ago.

As for that other producer working on another MMO, personally while he was a good producer I don't miss him from EQ2. Just playing the game through all the expansions he released one thing is common, there was a mass of development effort, but a lack of innovation. Too much is the same gameplay with different graphics over and over again, it wasn't until he left that we got the complex scripted/AI dungeon encounters that WoW enjoyed years before.

Or the graphical updates Brenlo got started with that should have been worked on from 2006 which have enabled many of us to run on extreme graphic settings.

Neither did we see flying mounts, public quests, mounts that pitch with the ground (and don't shear through it!), Battlegrounds (not the Arena's that were done wrongly and just abandoned) and all the other cool features we have had the past two years.

So while he did a lot of really good cool things (I assume he presided over the initial development, which was cinematic in quality), I personally think EQ2 is a better game since he left.

Although I'm not saying its only improved because he left, its just that EQ2 and most MMO's are more then a one man production, no doubt he has changed himself over the years.

Although I am left with the suspicion looking at Rifts that once again there is too much of the games gameplay is invested in one quite limited feature (Rifts), I guess we'll see though, if in six months players are bored I'm right, if they're entralled I guess I was wrong :)

Posted: Feb 22nd 2011 10:23AM senral said

I think it's sad. EQ2's website search and leaderboards have been broken since august. They added new graphics features but are still operating on 1.0 shaders and half assed 3.0 shaders. Mechanics and Itemization change with each expansion. Expansions since TSO have been the same models with different skins. One entrance for 3 instances with easy, medium, difficult. 1 or 2 overland zones and a few raids. Most of which will be buggy and broken for the first few months. Essentially, it's the beta test. There are other games that are more worth the $40.

Posted: Feb 22nd 2011 8:58PM Daelen said

The video is well done but with so much coming from other MMOs and even DCUO it feels like EQ/EQ2 is in auto pilot at SOE. I watched the podcasts and they were just terrible. Demos went sideways, leads on the team having no idea where things are etc. Just one more release thats a few months early presumably to beat Rift to market. But Rift has been everywhere and in the hands of anyone that wanted to try.

Personally I bought DCUO but knew to wait for the Feb update to activate. Velious will be the same, buy and hold until I see the first content/major fix patch hit live ;)

Posted: Feb 28th 2011 10:01AM ChongShin said

Interesting. I too haven't seen a lot of Velious in my news feeds and apparently I somehow missed previous trailers. This one though, it's weak. I do like the voice acting and the apparent story that they're trying to tell, but it could easily have been much better than text slapped on top of or between quick game play footage. Characters running forward, que text. Brief glimpse of fighting, que text. It's very uninspired. They're making trailers like it's still the year 2000.

They do seem to be "marketing" to their existing customers, I'll agree with that. As someone who is not currently playing EQ2 they don't seem to be at all interested in getting my attention. Not unless I have a weird fascination with flying mounts anyway.

The comments in this thread are also very interesting. I'm left wondering if SOE is doing what SOE has a history of doing, and that is putting all but their latest darling on the back burner with limited support and limited publicity. Releasing Velious and then letting EQ2 just kind of exist seems very SOE to me.

Kind of sad to see, to be honest.

Anyway, gotta get ready to leave the house and start the'ol long boring day. You folks have a great one.