Posted: Feb 19th 2011 5:20PM juanele said

The raids do look pretty cool. However, I was hoping he would also go into some of the other end game activities besides raids.

Posted: Feb 19th 2011 5:42PM Graill440 said

In beta 2 i had a lengthy chit chat about solo play with a gm and two. In the end they told me their design philosophy, which wasnt to my liking, no solo anything, and no dungeons with multiple endings (after i said you need variety and they countered with cost.

In the end i told them you can do a million things right and its the one bad thing you do that folks will quit your game for, copying other games and using some good mechanics is one thing, thinking raiding is "what people want" is simply foolish. I am now leaning over toward the Rift devs learning a painful lesson after a couple months and solo folks, whom are the majority and make up these guilds, pugs, organized groups wont stay around to long.

I will give trion 6 months of my cash and see whats up. I like the game but as we get closer to launch i see more and more solo things being pulled or rewards changed. I gave them kudos for some of their ideas, then upon finding most of these mechanics had been removed or changed i sent a rebuttal. Hard head, soft ass, who knows, maybe they will get theirs right.

Posted: Feb 19th 2011 6:22PM (Unverified) said

@Graill440

I've been playing for a few days now. today was a waste. Too many people, but I suppose that's a good thing for them to test, but unfortunately it seems to be a majority of WoW asshats.

As for the game itself, there was a major invasion in Freemarch and it resulted in the sky going black, which made it impossible to see everywhere in the ENTIRE ZONE even with gamma maxed. Not being able to see was not fun 8 years ago in certain games and it's not fun now. If this is the norm on top of constant, constant rifts everywhere all the time and lack of concern about soloing I'm going to have to pass.

Posted: Feb 19th 2011 6:24PM (Unverified) said

@Graill440

oh and what the hell is up with being a beta tester and not being able to post on the beta forums.

Posted: Feb 19th 2011 6:18PM Cristian Ceo said

I kinda expected a little more and more different but i guess it is ok for starting out.
PS He is a dirty rotten cheater if u didn't hear ;))

Posted: Feb 20th 2011 1:02AM Valkesh said

I like very much that they are including stories in these, and yet I'm saddened that I know they will immediately get cut down on when the min/maxy douchebags start whining about having to wait through the story for their loot dispensers....

Posted: Feb 20th 2011 1:31AM Aelon said

I made it about as far as the first "throw this net on 10 squirrels" quest in beta. Yes, that's really a quest.

I've no doubt this will capture a lot of people who are angry at Blizzard for WoW's many missteps, but I can't go back into the WoW-box. I just can't.

Posted: Feb 20th 2011 1:20PM mszv said

Aside from the rifts in Rift, which are pretty cool, Rift draws heavily on classic MMORPG gameplay. My perception was that raiding was going to be important, was going to be the thing in end game. It looks like I'm not wrong.

You can solo in Rift. I did it in beta -- not sure how far you can get though. The developers seem to like grouping and raiding. It really is a pretty traditional MMORPG.

I enjoyed my time beta testing Rift, I did. It is a very well polished game. I just don't think it's for me.

Posted: Feb 20th 2011 2:49PM juanele said

@mszv

I pre-ordered the game a while ago. I'm starting to regret that decision. Part of that feeling came from watching this video. I was hoping for something significant alongside raiding in this game. Maybe there will be but from what I've read and seen I don't think there will be.

Your last statement is pretty much how I feel

Posted: Feb 21st 2011 1:53PM Tjommis said

i cant stand how ignorant u guys are. raiding isent the only thing to do when u hit lvl 50, theres alot of pvp content. one of the first thing they said about rift was "pvp player will love Rift" god damn, just because one of the a GM show some of the lvl 50 content doesent mean thats everything....
u are in no position to jugde the game yet. it's only beta now.
Everyone iv spooken to who are playing the beta are enjoying it.

Posted: Feb 22nd 2011 7:44PM (Unverified) said

I have been playing MMO's since EQ. I have played consistently since Vanilla WoW beta. I have trouble understanding the gripe from some people about an MMO being raid centric at end game. What puzzles me is that it is the defining characteristic of the genre.

It's not like you go to the store and pick up a new MMO thinking that you'll get to end game be able to solo or five man all the content and get the best gear in the game. Only to get to the level cap and find out that "I have to raid!?!?!?" It's not a bait and switch here people, you should know going into an MMO that it is 99% likely that you'll have to join large groups to get the best gear/see end game content.