Posted: Feb 17th 2011 2:44PM Nautius said

• Half a heart
Online RP nerd love advice from Massively... wow... just... wow.

This makes me want to never play another MMO ever again.

Posted: Feb 17th 2011 3:15PM kgptzac said

@Nautius
asl?

Posted: Feb 17th 2011 3:22PM (Unverified) said

@Nautius I don't think "RP" was mentioned at all in the above article at all. The article actually had some good advice. I also met my husband online, and through playing an mmo together, spent time together in that way during the weekdays (while making the several hour trip to visit each other on the weekends). Both of us hate talking on the phone, so the time spent in game together made the distance bearable until we moved in together.

We've now been married four years, purchased a house together, and have a beautiful 12 month old daughter. :) All thanks to the internet and mmos.

Posted: Feb 17th 2011 4:29PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified) Because I know I'd love to leave behind the gorgeous beaches and hunky men of Australia to move to... Kansas.

What is UP with all the bitter gamers here?

Posted: Feb 17th 2011 4:48PM Dekain said

@(Unverified)

LOL Because moving to USA is an upgrade from Australia.

In The Economist's World's Most Livable Cities 2010 (Top 10) Australia has 4 Cities and the USA has none.

Posted: Feb 17th 2011 6:00PM Resurge said

@Dekain

it's a hell of a lot more livable in the city where the person wih the JOB lives, regardless of what city won some poll.

Posted: Feb 17th 2011 7:33PM Dekain said

@Resurge

That is true, whatever is mutuality beneficial (as the article says).

But "Unverified" was suggesting that they were using a fiance VISA to scam their way into the USA.

I am just pointing out that's unlikely given Australia is one of the most livable places in the world.

Posted: Feb 19th 2011 5:00AM (Unverified) said

I met my Fiancée on an internet dating site. She had never played an MMO in her life. We met over the summer, while she was on break from college. We met in person soon after exchanging messages online, but she soon had to go back to college. Thanks to MMOs, Ventrilo and Skype, we were able to spend time together almost every day while she was away at college.

I credit the socialization possible within MMOs with keeping us closer during our time apart. Watching movies over Skype video calls helped, too, but it was mostly the games. ;)

Posted: Mar 17th 2011 11:02PM Suplyndmnd said

Ahhhh, MMO Love. I've been bitten by this once. Unfortunately it didn't work out and sadly it lead to a LOT of drama coming into the game and our guild (on her behalf, not mine). When we started talking just getting along we noticed we would prefer to just duo then to get into a party (FFXI, where partying was faster) so it meant that heyyyy wait, she'd rather get relatively slow experience and be with me then actually accomplishing much in the game. And she eventually came to that realization with me. I told her how i felt, she said she felt the same way and I immediately told her we need to get to know each other OUTSIDE of the game. So we would use ventrillo, MSN, and Skype to talk and chat and whatever.

I am in a long distance relationship now (no mmo or game involved this time) and we do the "press start on a movie at the same time" deal as well and we watch it together. Or watch simpsons or surf reddit and share pictures or comics or interesting news articles.

The role of a Guild Leader though, is to stay out of it and stay neutral. Only time they should ever get involved is if drama starts or there is an unfairness. I have another friend who me and her get along EXCEPTIONALLY well (not dating though) and we played FFXI for years and we would duo a lot as well and we got DAMN good at it simply because we duo'ed for a couple years and even without voice chat we could already know what the other was going to do even if it was an emergency or we had to wing it, we always knew what the other would do and we were unstoppable. To the point that we were level 7's killing IT++'s duo style. Unfortunately when it came to group activities we were unseperable and that sometimes meant "If she doesn't get to go, i'm not going" and vice versa. Sometimes they'd make room, sometimes not. Was always their choice.

WoW Archivist: Epics