Posted: Feb 18th 2011 6:52AM Mystal said

@(Unverified)

I think the smell of "new" has something to do with it. More than that, I think it's because the game actually plays like a finished product at this point, rather than an early beta (which is the state that most MMOs get released in).

It's sad in a way, but you get a ton of bonus points these days just for bothering to finish a game before you actually sell it. Whether or not the game has legs, we don't know. We haven't seen the end game content, we don't know if they have more interesting things planned for the Rifts and invasions, etc.

Posted: Feb 18th 2011 4:17AM BGExorcist said

Forgot to mention, that in the beta the game is absolutely far from social. You enter and leave 100 groups per day, noone even says hello or bye, total silence. One time i thought its like a herd of sheep tab-ing for the next critter that spawns and bashing 1 till the keyboard bleads (Thats mostly what I do with my ranger)

Posted: Feb 18th 2011 1:56PM Plastic said

@BGExorcist

I was fortunate in that the multi-game guild I belong to had already established a footprint in Rift, but, even without belonging to a guild, I think it's important to keep in mind that beta events are notorious for players throwing social formalities out the window. In my experience, Rift seems to have a more lively social dynamic than many other betas I've tested. FFXIV was eerily quiet.

Posted: Feb 18th 2011 4:24AM BGExorcist said

• 1 heart
games.on.net: Giblet1 would like to know if Trion has plans to allow use of tunneling services such as Lowerping, or Internode's Gateway for people outside the US?

Scott: Australie this, Australia that. Is this interwiev for real, because the question wasnt about Australia specifically. Seems more like sweet talking. I get < 100 ping all the time according to the game's tool, but its pretty laggy sometimes.

Posted: Feb 18th 2011 6:00AM Dread said

@BGExorcist

games.on.net an Australian games site run by one of Australia's most popular ISP's for gamers so thats probably why they are referencing Australia and its 'unique' connection issues.

Posted: Feb 18th 2011 3:22PM Daverator said

My thoughts from open beta so far.

1. Combat is generic MMO fodder, not particularly exciting.
2. Rifts are a little wierd, one day they seemed non-existent, the next you couldnt walk to a quest without running through 3 of them. I am still in the air on them, if they add a sense of life to the world or are just a distraction.
3. Soul system. Really the shining part of the game, even as low as level 18, I have multiple paths and customizations I have done so that my character really feels like it is mine. I know that eventually "perfect" or "right" builds will exist and they will be expected from everyone, but it seems open enough that there will be legit competition on what is perfect.
4. Character visual customization is a bit bland for a new game. My character even after spending some time on them is almost instantly forgettable.
5. Crafting: Wow + a smidge, seems to have spent just enough time to put the slightest edge over wow, which isn't saying a lot but it is there.

Posted: Feb 19th 2011 9:09AM archer75 said

While at first Rift seems good, at it's core it's still is an MMO and as such is pretty much like any other. The class system is neat but beyond that there is nothing new. But as long as it's quality then that's ok. I just don't know that I want to invest time in a new MMO at this point.

How is the PvP in Rift compared to other games? As they could be the tipping point for me.