Posted: Feb 17th 2011 6:49PM Nenene said

It sounds like he's going to bring the battle system more in line with FFXI's battle system, which is pure improvement over the system they have in place now. Hurray for class armor!

Instanced dungeons and hopefully HNMs will really cut back on the 10 hour camping/botting marathons of yore, and allow people to form groups with a lot less stress.

And I hope I'm reading this right, because the talk of less environment collision gives me hope that the ancient 'invisible wall' schtick is about to be consigned to the dustbin of history like it should be.

I am dazzled by the thought of a future in which this game is good. The new team is doing really well so far, IMO.

Posted: Feb 17th 2011 7:13PM ShivanSwordsman said

Sounds decent. I've heard no news if they've decided to get rid of that horrid fatigue system for EXPing though. That to me was an instant nail in the coffin, especially with a Free to Play. I blame those idiots at Neople for putting a fatigue system in a good game like DFO, and popularizing the concept...

Posted: Feb 18th 2011 1:30PM Abriael said

@ShivanSwordsman the fatigue system is and always has been pretty much ininfluential for anyone that actually played the game and saw it's effects. It is included in the new player poll though, so I guess they're looking into it.

Posted: Feb 17th 2011 7:20PM Syesta said

吉田P, do your thing man. We're all rooting for you and the revamped staff.

Posted: Feb 17th 2011 7:44PM Locus said

I actually approve of the changes he's planning to implement, but to be fair, it really does seem as if he's WoW-ifying the game. Not that that's bad.

Amusingly, the enquete/survey was actually pretty difficult to answer this time.

Posted: Feb 17th 2011 8:27PM Rialle said

@Locus

At this point, EQ1ifying the game would be a massive improvement.

Posted: Feb 17th 2011 7:50PM cowboyhugbees said

I am excited for the changes in the battle system, but the UI still, to me, feels cumbersome, laggy, and unresponsive. If they can handle all of these improvements at the same time that's great (they're Squeeix after all, funding shouldn't be an issue), but the UI improvements need to remain focus of their attention to make the game more enjoyable.

Posted: Feb 17th 2011 8:09PM (Unverified) said

I really do enjoy the changes they're making to the game. Big improvements even if I was in love with the game since launch.

I see they're working on the game mechanics but what about optimization? The game still runs terrible on some systems that should be able to run it at fair settings. They need to add more control over the graphical elements to the game.

Posted: Feb 17th 2011 8:33PM Fakeassname said

hey, is that whole "indefinite free play" thing still ongoing?

Posted: Feb 17th 2011 9:08PM Khalus said

@coyboyhugbees
There is a new UI in the works with drag and drop features...

@fakeassname
yes its still free indefinitely and should be that way until late this year.

Posted: Feb 17th 2011 9:19PM Fakeassname said

@Khalus

k, I think I will go buy this now.

Posted: Feb 17th 2011 9:40PM Jade Effect said

I don't understand. Is auto-attack such a big thing that Square-Enix needs to create a poll and tabulate the results before they decide whether or not to put it in?

This is just so typical of the Japanese decision making process. They get bogged down by bureaucracy as they go about trying to make every little decision by committee. This allows them to spread the blame around if something fails. If everyone is at fault, then nobody can be singled out.

Posted: Feb 17th 2011 9:53PM Eamil said

@Jade Effect Autoattack is actually on their current "to-do" list. That list is rather large, though, so I imagine it's part of the combat system poll to determine how important people think it is.

Honestly to me it's not that important. The game was designed without an autoattack in mind and gives every class one or two basic low-cost attacks to compensate at low levels. Even if it's just button-mashing, it's better than FF11 at level one, where you don't even have abilities aside from your 1-hour cooldown so you just sit there autoattacking things until they die.

Posted: Feb 17th 2011 10:01PM Locus said

@Jade Effect

The main issue is that some people feel that it detracts from the "Action style" concept of the game while others miss the ability to chat (or read a manga) while fighting and say that hitting 111111111111 nonstop doesn't make things much more engaging than autoattack.

There's two camps of thought here and they just want to make sure that enough of the fanbase wants this change. There's nothing wrong with that as opposed to being arbitrary. In fact, being that frank about it is pretty un-Japanese - the FF11 way of doing things would have been force-feeding and then hiding behind a mission statement and evasive interview answers to questions that don't really exist (sort of like the current Q&A).

Posted: Feb 17th 2011 9:52PM naverous said

Overall, I'm happy to see Yoshida moving this game in the right direction.

Posted: Feb 18th 2011 2:27AM Mevan said

I swear, with every Letter from the Producer I become more and more hopeful for the future of this game. It's going to be amazing and my friends that started XIV with me but left until it gets better are starting to take notice.

Posted: Feb 18th 2011 3:57AM fredtma said

FFXIV has the best graphic of any MMO past or near future.
I just think if they make a revamp of the battle system and UI it will rival Tera or Blade and soul.
I don't understand how they can pull off great battle system such as FFX, FFXII and FFXIII yet place a mediocre system in FFXIV.

Posted: Feb 18th 2011 7:36AM Nenene said

@fredtma
Because Tanaka.

Posted: Feb 18th 2011 6:51AM koehler83 said

Still no word on a viable means of grouping?

Am I the only person in the entire world that has realized that the recruitment is useless?

Who cares how many players you can have in a party or the kinds of SP gains you get in a group if you can't get a group together?

Unless you have friends going in, the game is a brick wall. And most people's friends have left.

Posted: Feb 18th 2011 11:30AM Magnux said

@koehler83

I agree, most of my LS is EST and by the time I get on they are done with the Leves and grouping and are concentrating on Local Leves or Craft skilling. I can't get the hang of the recruiting thing its crappy and hope they plan on fixing it, heck give me a sign over my head, they have stars for the retainers, give some one looking for a group or the leader of a group a freaking star or a square something that indicates his looking for group, so if your around you will see it.

@Jade Effect

The auto attack "feature" and the current clicking 1 is fine with me, so either way they go will work I think. The only thing I got against Auto Attack is what happens in WoW that people can just leave for 5 minutes and you are still there doing Auto Attack.

@coboyhugbees

Agree with you, its all nice that they are making changes to the battle system but the UI is still broken. The lag that happens with the fact that every action has to go back to the server before it is executed well it sucks. Maybe the Auto Attack feature will work better if they keep the current server side response for every action.

@Locus

I am not sure if WoW-fying the game is what they are doing, I think they are more MMOing the game than anything. What kind of game don't you have quest and things that the citizens (NPC's) have you do something for them? Taking away quest and such makes the NPC's very dull, there is no life to them whatsoever, when you quest for an NPC you develop a relationship with the NPC. If we look at the various quest givers regardless of game we have the guy that gives you the kill 10 rat quest, the guy that tells you go deliver this, or the guy that tells you go get me this or some mobs took this from me and I dont know who has it can you kill them and find it for me? Well you develop an I hate that quest giver or I like that quest give, or something in between. But all in all it gives you something to do other than just endlessly killing mobs out in the game world.

Betawatch: September 13 - 19, 2014