Posted: Feb 16th 2011 2:08PM Slob Zombie said

Some friends and I used Vivox's client Voon for several years and it was a really great fit. The site disappeared, so while anyone with an account and the client installed can still use it, we can't add people. Shame, great service.

Anyone know a standalone VOIP service that uses Vivox these days?

By the way, we've tried renting a Mumble server but we just have constant problems configuring everyone's client. Not very out-of-the-box friendly, although the sound quality is by far the best.

Posted: Feb 16th 2011 2:20PM crainey92 said

There is a clear opportunity for voice providers to reshape the social web with a communication medium that has proven to be the easiest, most intuitive channel of communication throughout [...] thousands of years of existence: voice," WHAT A FIND!!

No but seriously, the thing about the internet that so appealing about it and the main features of it is anonymity which voice chat strips away slightly. It is obvious though that voice communication is the way to go.

Thats alot of big publishers they have there... personaly I like my Ventrilo server I've had for the past 2 years.

Posted: Feb 16th 2011 6:11PM Jim Cricket said

@crainey92

I generally feel the same way about Voice chat in MMO's. One big reason (probably the biggest reason) I play is to be immersed in the virtual world and become someone else. Hearing someone else's drawl just breaks that entirely.

It looks like all the "competitive" components of MMO's like team PvP or raiding are going Voice. The result for me has been I don't participate in these endeavours.

One more aspect of the changing internet I guess, as it becomes more like a TV and less like a library.

Posted: Feb 16th 2011 8:24PM foofad said

I've only had two experiences with Vivox. EVE was the first, and the best. APB was the second, and it was absolutely abysmal. Useless. I really hope APB Reloaded fixes that.

Make My MMO: October 19 - 25, 2014