Posted: Feb 16th 2011 11:12AM ImperialPanda said

I wouldn't consider the forums a pitfall. Official forums after an MMO launch is almost a warzone. You get all sorts of hilarious posts about anything and everything that the game does wrong or weirdly. Reading the official forums is imo half the fun of a MMO launch.

Any time the servers go down the forums just light up it's awesome.

Posted: Feb 16th 2011 11:44AM PaterFrog said

@ImperialPanda I guess that depends alot on your character and the mood you're in. Aion got destroyed for me that way. WoW just was all the more funnier, you know, go bug-hunting. Or try one of the hardiest riddles you'll come across, that is, deciphering a google translated rant QQ of some greek in the official WTFBBQGTFO forum.

Posted: Feb 24th 2011 4:48PM ImperialPanda said

@ImperialPanda

If you would be so kind as to visit the rift forums, I would just like to say: I told you so. :D

Some standout threads atm: 87899 87803 and 87458

Posted: Feb 16th 2011 11:16AM (Unverified) said

• Half a heart
We're not in Azeroth anymore? That quest log looks very much like my WoW quest log, just colored differently.

I understand wanting to create a buzz, but they should have left other games out of their advertising. That all being said, I hope the game does well. We really could use another big MMO out there.

Posted: Feb 16th 2011 12:34PM aurickle said

@(Unverified)
Ever hear the saying, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"? Practically every MMO out there uses exactly the same quest log with only minor variations. It works. Change for the sake of change is rarely progress.

Posted: Feb 16th 2011 12:50PM Utakata said

@(Unverified)

I agree with (Unverified)! Trion Worlds should of be like Square Enix and develop something that breaks from traditions of WoW like they did with Final Fantasy XIV...

*Does a shifty eyes to the side emote.*

Posted: Feb 16th 2011 11:15PM (Unverified) said

@(Unverified)

Don't dismiss Rift for the lame TV ads.

Trion should fire the person that approved them.

Rift deserves much better than that.

Posted: Feb 16th 2011 11:25AM drakon said

I'd like to add one point.

8. Don't burn yourself out.

If you've pre-ordered like I have, nothing ruins (IMHO) your head-start launch day experience more than having to grind through the starting zone(s) because you've played them to death in the beta. Once I realized I liked the game and pre-ordered it I stopped playing other than to test the changes at the beginning of each beta phase.

Posted: Feb 16th 2011 11:48AM PaterFrog said

@drakon Wise note. What I would do however, is try each race/calling combination. Nothing quite sucks like playing 30 levels on your char and then finding out that you actually totally love that other soul, it just didn't quite give you the idea it was before. Go ahead and grind it all on your new favourite.
Do some testing, but don't try to level much. Just test the variety a little bit, so you know what you want to do but don't quite do it yet.

Posted: Feb 16th 2011 12:48PM delphinius81 said

@drakon

Agreed. I decided after Beta 3 that I was going to get the game. I put my Defiant cleric and rogue characters on ice because I didn't want to ruin the defiant side experience. I'm checking out a warrior on the Guardian side in open beta, just to see what that starter area is like.

I've passed on all the warfronts/pvp/instances so far so that they would feel new when it counted. I've also skipped over all the quest text which I would normally read. Looking forward to head start though!

Posted: Feb 16th 2011 1:45PM Nephilim said

@drakon

I definitely agree with this. I logged into Beta 7 and immediately logged out because I figured I'll be playing in a week with characters that won't be deleted :)

Posted: Feb 16th 2011 2:13PM MMOaddict said

@drakon
Same. Only sad part is, this wouldn't have been an issue if there was more than one starting area per faction. But oh, well. I too stopped testing, just logged on long enough to see the new changes in each beta then logged off as I don't want to spoil my first month of play either.

Posted: Feb 16th 2011 4:18PM sortius said

@drakon Exactly what I'm doing. I've had my "fill" of beta, so I'm just having a bit of a play about now and waiting for the servers to go "live".

Posted: Feb 16th 2011 7:09PM Addfwyn said

@drakon I sorta did this. I tried a few different callings to figure out which one I wanted, but I intentionally played them on the faction that I don't intend to play in retail. This will let me see what the Guardian side is like, without spoiling the Defiler side for me.

Hopefully that should keep things pretty fresh, while still giving me a good idea of what playstyle suits me. For instance, my highest in open beta right now is a 20 melee-style Cleric, and I've determined I really don't like that playstyle even though it's quite solid.

Posted: Feb 16th 2011 7:13PM Addfwyn said

@Addfwyn @DEFIANT, I always do that, and I wish I could edit

Posted: Feb 16th 2011 11:57AM (Unverified) said

Agree with Drakon. If you've pre-ordered and committed to playing Rift, stop playing the Beta. You will burn yourself out and should really try to leave the content for the release. Find some other games to play for the next few days and look forward to the headstart on the 24th.

They did cut off the forums to just those who pre-ordered, except the Beta forums which are still a free-for-all. But Official Forums are still a breeding ground for douches, not much has changed there.

Posted: Feb 16th 2011 11:57AM Coolit said

So sick of the Rift puns...

Posted: Feb 16th 2011 12:10PM Pingles said

@Coolit

They're tearing me apart!

The commenters are split down the middle on that.

Rip em a new one, why don't ya!

Posted: Feb 16th 2011 12:52PM Utakata said

@Pingles

That has me torn.

Posted: Feb 16th 2011 12:43PM aurickle said

My personal recommendation is that if you're new to the game don't sweat your build. It can be confusing to have all those different souls for each calling and it's very easy to decide you want to try out some of the other choices. So, thanks to other games you get the temptation to re-roll and then have to play through the starting content all over again.

Don't!

Your class trainers let you respec whenever you want. I know the first respec is free. I'm not sure what additional respecs will cost in the live game. But this lets you respend all your points across your souls. It also lets you swap out your souls with any others that you might have learned.

As for how to earn those other souls, it's very easy. In your mid teens you'll get to your faction's capital city. There you can take quests (one at a time) to earn each of your calling's other souls. It's as easy as getting the quest, helping stop any rift, then using an item that will drop to summon an enemy to kill. Turn the quest in and you now have access to another soul that you can then swap in with a respec.

What's more, your class trainers also sell access to alternate builds. These alternate builds let you choose from any of your known souls. It's much like WoW's secondary build system except that you can ultimately have four of them instead of two and by equipping other souls from your calling you can MASSIVELY change your character. For example, a mage could have one build for soloing (with, for example, the necromancer soul), one for group dps (with the pyromancer or another like it) and even one for main healing (with the chloromancer). That still leaves a fourth build.

What this means is that the first character you make can very easily sample ALL of your calling's eight souls. You do not need to create a new character just to try something different. Save that for if you wish to change callings entirely. (Like going from Mage to Warrior.)