Posted: Feb 16th 2011 1:04PM Berzerk said

The game looks quite interesting, but I can't find anything about it that distinguishes it from EVE. The list of planned features seems to map almost 1:1 to existing ones in EVE.

Not a bad thing, per se, just weird.

Posted: Feb 16th 2011 2:10PM Space Cobra said

@Berzerk

That's what many commentaries are calling it, even articles here. It is just like EVE...but with Mechs.

Posted: Feb 16th 2011 4:33PM Integral said

@Berzerk

Man, I feel the same way. Like I do'nt want to hate on them for copying Eve because, let's face it, that's no small task. It takes an advanced understanding of algorithms and virtual economy to pull that off (I'm a computer science major lol). So it's not like they "just copied Eve" like that somehow makes it easy. But it also means that this games seems somewhat uncreative in a few respects. Hopefully they take it in an interesting new direction and bot games can coincide. I'm a fan of games that let me level up while I do homework (since I really don't have time for grinding)

Posted: Feb 16th 2011 4:19PM tk421242 said

Your impressions are pretty spot on for the most part. It lifts many mechanics from EVE and utilizes them just with mechs instead. A few differences that I have noticed that stand out are the lack of a true autopilot mode and the way in which skills are trained. In EVE you can of course set a course that is a long distance away and just autopilot to it and go do something else. Granted you can be attacked but it is still a nice thing to have when wanting to run some laundry or something. In Perpetuum I have not seen that feature. You can point and click on the map and move to a spot or just autorun, but my mech several times has gotten caught on an object and just became stuck until I returned. Granted, I have only played Perpetuum for about 3 weeks, so if there is an autopilot and I have not discovered it yet forget I mentioned it :)

The learning of skills differs in that in EVE you have the timer and you place skills in it to learn them in real time, but with the 24 hour cap. In Perpetuum you earn points for in real time as your account is active and skills have a cash+point cost to train up. This is nice if you have to go away for a few days and come back, you have some skill points to invest then.

Just minor differences I noticed and like I said, not an expert on the game. I do think some of their audio is better than the audio effects in EVE. The missiles also look really nice when they launch, especially a volley of 3 or more at once.

Posted: Feb 16th 2011 4:56PM Integral said

@tk421242

Cool observations. That point cash in system sounds really nice actually. I'll def keep my eye on this game. It seems like as they add features it could be very cool. (that and I'm a fan of mechs) anyway, I'm more interested now lol.

Posted: Feb 16th 2011 8:01PM tk421242 said

@Integral

I actually tried it out for the mechs, I grew up with Robotech so I was really excited to see a real mech mmo type game. The other factor that helped me decide was the pricing. It is a $10 per month fee to play, thats it. No big purchase with free month, just pay the $10 for a month and done. It is also non-recurring which I really like since I do that with all my mmo's by default just to avoid paying for a game I am not playing (who hasnt done that)!

One other issue I have though I did not mention is the odd size factor. In the game you are piloting around large mechs yet on the planet everything is huge so the mechs look small. Now this may just be me, but the scale makes it seem this way to me and I have an issue with that. Part of being in a mech is the appeal to be huge and towering over the land, do not get that feel at all in Perpetuum.

Posted: Feb 17th 2011 3:02AM Bardbarian said

Is that a metallic phallus?