Posted: Feb 15th 2011 1:08PM wondersmith said

I remember back when the Planes of Power were gated in EverQuest. Gradually they relaxed the requirements because all they really did was irritate people. Gating is just plain wrong. Let folks decide for themselves whether they're ready to go places. No need to be all elitist about it.

Posted: Feb 15th 2011 1:30PM Azurik said

• Half a heart
The only situation that requires gating is in MMOs designed for children who don't understand numbers.

OH WAIT

Posted: Feb 15th 2011 1:38PM gildhur said

Appreciate the apology, but it's too bad they didn't bother to give us any actual information about the change itself or how it impacts existing gear, content, and raids.

Posted: Feb 15th 2011 2:04PM ScottishViking said

@gildhur I know. Removing it is not enough...and it would be very unfair to those who earned the gear that no bonuses whatsoever take its place.

Posted: Feb 15th 2011 2:30PM Nerves said

@ScottishViking

I somewhat disagree with the addition of some other stat in place of radiance, except maybe in the case of BG/DN sets for some classes, for most classes, these are still the best sets available.. The hele/annuminas sets were ridiculously easy to get, and the moria gear set a dangerous precedent for itemization, it was a huge mistake to introduce gear that good that early in the cycle. Either way, I don't think we're getting anything adjusted in this regard.

Posted: Feb 15th 2011 4:02PM Space Cobra said

It's been a long time since I played LotRo, but giving my two cents OUTSIDE the gaming community, I feel this was a brave and "very alright" sorta act. It is hard for anyone, Dev Team to everyday-person, to look hard at something they've worked so hard on, acknowledge the flaws and that it is not working, and take it off the table. They even provided an apology and an explanation.

In my book, that is Aces.

Posted: Feb 15th 2011 4:58PM KDolo said

@Space Cobra

I would agree, except word is they aren't adding anything to the gear with high radiance and low stats and are simply removing radiance. If this turns out to be the case, it will mean Moria gear is going to be a whole lot better than more difficult gear to get.

Posted: Feb 15th 2011 6:12PM Jade Effect said

@Space Cobra

So basically you're saying "Let's praise Turbine for their unusual courage in taking out a feature hated by the player-base and which they had no idea how to fix"?

Posted: Feb 15th 2011 7:57PM ShivanSwordsman said

@Jade Effect

I concur. This shows just how great a company that Turbine is, DDO races price jump not withstanding. Hopefully they'll reimburse the people who have it. I will, however, admit that the system, to some degree, made me afraid of fighting the undead due to the dread that hit my stats hard. I am, however, very interested to see what they put in to compensate, or what their next move will be.

This is one of those times where I feel my money was very well spent with the LOTRO shop, and that they're actually making improvements with my money. This replaces the feeling of betrayal I got from Ntreev and Grand Chase, and it's insane 3rd and 4th class requirements. It's such a nice feeling, too.

Posted: Feb 15th 2011 6:11PM Elikal said

Bit late, eh?

Posted: Feb 15th 2011 6:32PM JaySpeed said

@Elikal

Why is it too late to remove radiance? Are the servers shutting down and I missed the announcement? LOTRO has many years left so it's better to remove radiance now than continue with a poorly implimented system.

Posted: Feb 15th 2011 6:42PM JoeH42 said

I heartily agree with Space Cobra. It's good to see people admit something was wrong and get rid of it. Obviously they spent a fair amount of time trying to fix it and it just wasn't fixable, so live and learn.

I do feel bad for people who worked hard to get some of the gear and now won't need it. It reminds me of all the times in WoW when you'd work had to get attuned for Onyxia or the key to Kara or things like that and then they'd just be like "Oh hey all you people who worked hard, we're just going to let new players do the same things but without the hard work." That sort of thing was always irritating to me altho they did sometimes make an effort to reward players a little like with the title "Hand of A'dal" (or whatever it was). Maybe LoTRO can think of something cosmetic like that they could do to show their desire to not make players' past efforts completely worthless. As it is, sounds like most of the radiance gear is pretty good gear anyways.

Posted: Feb 16th 2011 12:53AM N620AA said

@JoeH42 This argument was dumb in WoW when it came to keying, and it's dumb now.

People who went through attunements were rewarded by... having access to the content much earlier than anyone who waited for the attunements to be removed. By the time keying was removed from Karazhan, the introductory raid in TBC, most of the people who have a legitimate claim to "effort" had moved on and were in late BT (two tiers ahead), or full-cleared and waiting for Sunwell.

Why such people would feel diminished because someone can now set a foot in a raid they cleared and moved on from months ago is beyond me. It just reeks of "I want you to not see content so I can feel even more special." Stop caring so much about what other people can or can't do and enjoy your own achievements. In your example, anyone who tried to raid Black Temple without having fairly good footing in the previous tier would likely not get far due to lack of gear and natural difficulty progression.

The same is true of Radiance. Your reward for having invested the effort in getting your Radiance gear is that you were able to set foot on and survive raids, while others couldn't. You're not special, you don't need a badge of honor.

Posted: Feb 20th 2011 9:40PM (Unverified) said

@JoeH42 - also, it is perfectly possible for keying requirements to be a good idea initially, but for the later removal of those requirements to ALSO be a good idea. Using your WoW Karazhan example, getting keyed for Kara was not particularly gruelling around the time that TBC launched. However, a year later, if a new player wanted to get keyed, or an old player wanted to get an alt keyed, it was MUCH more difficult to get a group together to run the necessary 5-mans, plus your guildmates were probably thoroughly bored of running them by then. Hence, the removal of the keying was a good idea.

Posted: Feb 15th 2011 7:10PM Jeromai said

I would give them kudos. If the implementation didn't match up to the original plan and desire, thanks for wielding the knife on your baby and cutting it out for the good of the game. Sometimes a feature simply takes up too much development time in trying to fix and get exactly right.

Posted: Feb 15th 2011 8:33PM WeirdJedi said

I've never played the game, but I always disliked the endgame grind to unlock the new section. I have seen rifts created between old and new players - the sense of elitism. I feel everyone should experience the new content, regardless if they are casual or hardcore.

Leaderboard: Which dead MMO is your favorite?

Posted on Jul 30th 2014 12:00PM

The Daily Grind: Do you prize MMO stability?

Posted on Jul 30th 2014 8:00AM