Posted: Feb 15th 2011 12:11PM eggmanjr said

Are folks out there really clamoring for a slow down in the leveling experience in EQ?

Posted: Feb 15th 2011 1:37PM wondersmith said

If you want a taste of the "good old days," you don't have to pay for the privilege. Dig out your old Diablo disc and reinstall it, or try Rogue or Adventure, or the F2P version of Anarchy Online, or run an emulator and play abandonware like Temple of Apshai and Wizardry. All for free.

But you'll quickly realize how much games have improved over the years, despite all the folks complaining about "lack of innovation." Now that you've been spoiled by modern games, you really can't go home again.

Posted: Feb 15th 2011 2:33PM Yellowdancer said

No game can match the enjoyment I found in running around EQ. It had never been done before. I can have fun but being beat down by an ogre, never felt so good.

That being said, the game is old and clunky. I can't justify the $15. What would have been cool is if this server had a single server access fee of $5 and cash shopped the heck out of it. Then I would go back. But $15? Nah, I can't even play NWN anymore and that game is a better play experience today.

Also it would have been cool is free access to this server if you sub to any other SOE game. EQ just doesn't work well without people. With people, its Game of the Year! Well, Game of 199X.

Posted: Feb 15th 2011 4:04PM Aelon said

Did they ever update the UI? I tried to go back to EQ about 2 years ago and I just... couldn't... *shudder*

Posted: Feb 15th 2011 6:02PM Daelen said

Arg this confirms that progression this time out is going to be tedious. I was really looking forward to a server with modern EQ quality of life, not great but better than 09, that released expansions as people collectively hit the caps. But this is just sounding tedious. The part about classes and races being locked is especially dumb. I understand the challenge of making say VahShir playable with a different starter zone but not being able to join progression until Luclin? and being level 1 while the server is 60? /facepalm

Posted: Feb 15th 2011 6:04PM Daelen said

On UI, no its still a painful relic to use. My favourite part... no spell tooltips! Yay new song... hit it up web to see what the hell it does. SOE wonders why EQ/EQ2 isn't relavent any more but really it should go without saying that when you let everyone overtake you... you become a memory.