Posted: Feb 15th 2011 5:27PM Wildcard273 said

You brought up a ton of great points. I participated in the Beta via PS3 in January and I found it to be a lot of fun. While I've never been a huge DC fan, the opportunity to play an MMO based on an established universe (I'm looking at you Marvel) I couldn't pass up.

I encountered the same issues you did, but knowing it was a test cruise and a Beta, I wasn't as worked up about those issues. But you're right, the late of a good, intuitive, easy chat system was extremely frustrating. MMOs are built on community and meeting people, and the lack of a easy-to-use chat function is holding this game back from being great.

Unfortunately, being a console, it's hard to chat on there. You could use the controller keyboard, but using an USB keyboard probably isn't going to be as convienent or accessable as it would be on a laptop or a desktop. I think if SOE/PSN/DC put the game together in a bundle pack of the game and the controller keyboard, that would alleviate a lot of that angst that players are experiencing.

Posted: Feb 16th 2011 12:34AM koehler83 said

The fact that SOE's Station Account is not integrated with PSN boggles the mind.

Synergy Sony! Synergy!

Posted: Feb 16th 2011 1:02AM (Unverified) said

Never had any good experiences with SOE personally. Thanks for shelling out the cash for this one, its a community service. Much appreciated.

Posted: Feb 16th 2011 9:40AM evanset6 said

Wow... 2 things in this article that I completely disagree with. 1) The fact that it's awkward on the PS3 compared to the pC is contrary to what every other person that has every said anything about this game has said. And 2) Every time I post an issue on the official forums I get a response almost immediately. I don't really understand what you're talking about here.

Posted: Feb 16th 2011 2:59PM Sente said

@evanset6

How many people have bought the game on both PS3 and PC? My guess that is a minority of the total number of players. I cannot say anything how it works on the PC, but I agree with that I found the PS3 version awkward, although not so much with the L2/R2+button part.

And it was an opinion, not a fact.

My primary reason to get DCUO was to see how an established MMO company would handle an MMO on a console platform (never tried the console version of FFXI, only PC version).

I cannot say I look forward to any new console MMO attempts at this point.

Posted: Feb 16th 2011 5:01PM SFGamer69 said

@evanset6

Utter crap. You get a response from whom..another player? The community manager/Mods rarely respond to anything, and when they do, it's in very brief statements, usually ending in the thread closing. SOE has completely missed the boat on this with how much this game lacks in terms of basic MMO functionality, communication in game, from them, and on it's forums being #1. And the excuse given for the current state of the game and it's many MANY shortcomings... "the game is only a month old"... what bullsh!t.

Posted: Feb 16th 2011 2:04PM Space Cobra said

Generally correct article. Not only the game, but IMO, the whole PSN infrastructure needs a new workaround and face. It probably needs a way similar to how we log onto the PSN store, but for customer service. Not just for DCUO, but for any game.

So, MMO on consoles is still a "work in progress".

As to other things:

1) I like the controller better than the keyboard. I've encountered many who swear by keyboard/controller but being raised on controllers since Atari 2600, I prefer them. I agree, they can get tricky, but it's easier to move a finger to hold down something rather than look/confirm my finger hits 1. Plus, my hand is in a more comfortable position. It's just like you say, "Mileage may vary."

2) You mentioned that submitting Feedback on PC you received no confirmation in the chat window. I always see confirmation on my PC when doing this. I've played both versions, but am drawn toward the PC more. So, in both, I see confirmation. Can't tell you why you didn't see yours, unless chat scrolled it up or your options didn't let you see it.

Posted: Feb 16th 2011 4:51PM Revolting said

Thank you for doing this.

Unfortunately, since the last article, things have not changed drastically, or, in fact, at all. There have been a few minor updates, but nothing game-changing, or problem-solving. The one noticable improvement has been guild text chat; this has gone from almost never working to almost always working, not 100% reliable, but substantially more so than it was weeks ago. Most of the other issues, however, remain unaddressed, and and in many cases, not only unaddressed but unacknowledged.

I wonder if this partly due to the massive disconnect between the development team and the PS3 userbase. As with most MMOs, the two parties benefit from quite a close relationship on the PC side of things, responding and reacting accordingly to the thriving community. This is not so for the PS3 population, though. As highlighted by the complete lack of any direct support investigated by this article, there simply is no connection at all between SOE and the end user base. Instead the PSN/PS3 Support collective stands between the two groups, and apparently has very little to do with either party. Communication between the two is virtually non-existant; sure, they have forums, which are bombarded with PS3-playing hopefuls desperate for a response, but at best you get a few words from a forum moderator, and at worst your posts are buried between the 5000 other issues raised by other equally concerned players. The "support" section of the PS3 forum alone was up to 10+ pages of issues within a week of launch, many of which were game-breaking issues, and nearly all passed by with no support or even contact of any description from anyone official.

Obviously this is not an ideal environment to launch what was intended to be a flagship console MMO, which is a massive shame, because the game itself is actually rather decent and immensely enjoyable, when/if you can get over the broken bits. If everything worked as it should work, the console version of this game would be an incredible achievement. But as it is, there are so many hurdles holding it back... many of which self-inflicted, or worse, are actually just broken and unaddressed.

The complete lack of any kind of support, be it technical, account related, or in game, is absolutely astoundingly mind boggling. I would love to get an official word from someone, anyone, be it SOE, SCEA, or SCEE, or better yet all three, on how and why this set-up is deemed acceptable, especially for a genre of game that typically requires far, far more user support than any other. But, sadly, I very much doubt any of the above will have anything to say on the matter.

More's the pitty, as the game itself, when it works, is great fun, and had it been approached in a more professional, supportive manner, it could have and should have been the one to finally make console MMOs serious business.

Posted: Feb 16th 2011 5:08PM SFGamer69 said

@Revolting

All This^^

Posted: Feb 16th 2011 6:22PM evanset6 said

Uhhh no. I get a response from RadarX, who is the rep on the boards. I've gotten a ton of responses from him.

Posted: Feb 18th 2011 3:47PM SFGamer69 said

@evanset6

RadarX...the supposed community manager of a non existent community.

They dont say much, and what little he does say, is just cut and paste from some post elsewhere on a 3rd party site. Not going to blame him, i 'm sure his hands are tied, but he doesn't come across as wanting to expand the community any more than SOE does. "We intend to grow it in game..." are his words, and I laugh, because what tools do they have that allow any meaningful communication in game? A piss poor voice chat system and a text chat system that is less savy then what i once used on old school MUDs.

Posted: Feb 17th 2011 2:59AM Revolting said

@evanset6

Uhhh yes. The PS3 Arkham Asylum (Reproducible bugs) forum ( http://forums.station.sony.com/dcuops3/forums/show.m?forum_id=56 ), barely a month old, is now on it's 31st page, and it's not just trolls mouthing off. Everything in that sub-forum is a genuine issue, and not even a handful of the problems documented there have been responding to or even acknowledged.

If you got a response or two from RadarX, congratulations; you are one of a very privileged few. The only time I've had a response was from a forum moderator whose powers extended no further than being able to respond with colorful text; he or she couldn't even sticky a topic. A common theme for many of the threads concerned with the larger and more inhibiting problems the game presents its players is that they eventually evolve from being purely concerned with the problem itself and move on to wondering why nobody can ever get an official response, some official advice or anything at all from anyone who actually works on anything at all to do with the game. (Which does not include the PS3 forum moderators/community managers, incidentally, most of whom work exclusively on, you guessed it, the forum.)

I'd be interested to know how many of the game's persistent problems your responses from RadarX have solved for you.

Posted: Feb 17th 2011 3:00AM Revolting said

@Revolting

Reply to wrong comment fail. :(

Posted: Feb 17th 2011 3:51AM koehler83 said

@Revolting Just clicked the link and apparently the PS3 support forum is gone.

Posted: Feb 17th 2011 12:46PM Revolting said

@koehler

Weird, it's still there for me, and that link to it works fine for me.

MMO Week in Review: Happy New Year!

Posted on Dec 28th 2014 8:00PM