Posted: Feb 15th 2011 11:25AM Daemodand said

Tempting! But I may want to leave all the fun for when it goes live. Doing betas often takes a lot of the fun out of the initial release. But still, tempting!

Here's hoping they enable the automatic queue for PUGs, PvP teams, any and all teaming situations. As a team leader, I'd just have put into the queue parameters what kind of missions I'm doing, and as people join the queue looking for those kinds of activities (Newspaper/Radio team, story arc team, etc) people get added to the team automatically.

I'm a hardcore soloer, but I might team more if that kind of pain-free leadership option was available.

Posted: Feb 15th 2011 11:55AM Zuljundwumn said

City of heroes must have the best (or the most clever) team of devs. They just take all the good ideas from every mmo and put them in their game (when they don't come up with great ideas like the mission maker).
Honestly, I wish there were more devs like them.

Posted: Feb 15th 2011 1:24PM CitizenH said

They tested this late last week on Thursday, Friday and Saturday.
Thursday everyone showed up to test the raid and most people I talked to found it pretty brutal and confusing, as did I. There was noticeably fewer people who came back for Friday's test and even less on Saturday.

I'm hearing a lot of negative buzz about this around the in-game chat channels, so I'm not surprised they're trying hard to get some warm bodies on the test server. Some people managed to complete it on Friday I hear, so that's a counter point I guess.

Wouldn't be the first content they made that most people didn't care for; just look at the Shadow Shard.
*shrug*

Posted: Feb 15th 2011 2:06PM Decados said

@CitizenH

Given that the devs have been going farther and farther away from the old "tank and spank" paradigm, it's not surprising that people are griping. While at times, coh can have an awesome community, it has one of the most whiney bases I've ever seen as well.

"OH NO..something is different!...DOOOOOOm."

The new raid/TF's require planning, thought, a degree of tactics. All of which your average CoH player has managed to do without for nigh unto 7 years. No longer will you win these battles by just being a drone and cycling through your attack chain, like in the past.

People absolutely HATED the Statesman TF when it first came out because of it's difficulty. Now I see people taking him down in 5 minutes.

People absolutely HATED the ITF when it came out. Now, good old Rommy is no big deal any longer.

People absolutely HATED the Quarterfield...ok..bad example.. they still do...it's a POS.. :P

Point is. This stuff is new, and NOT what the players of CoH are used to. Yeah, they're going to gripe because it's forcing them out of their little comfy box of running their attack chain and doing little more.

Posted: Feb 15th 2011 6:45PM Stormwalker said

@Decados Exactly right. Players of ANY MMO will whine and complain when something is new and different. Heaven forbid they might have to actually pay attention to the game rather than play on auto-pilot!

Posted: Feb 15th 2011 7:00PM Jeromai said

@Decados
Most people brute force Rommy these days - suck in the nictus all you want, yer still going down...three times, but down. When it first came out, there were more elaborate strats like pulling nictus via a ranged pull, or separating Romulus from the nicti. Anyhow, the hate was considerably less for ITF than for STF.

STF is easier now because of the level shift, and likely because tanks that run it know how to survive Recluse by now - be it through lots of oranges, a pocket empath or via flying and taunting. Casual PUGs were still failing STF left and right during the WST if they didn't have a few good players being crucial linchpins.

Quarterfield is just long. Long and brutal on time committment in a place where it's hard to get from point A to point B.

Different players are going to gripe because they get affected by different things - some want it easy, your little can't-get-out-of-comfort-zone example. Some want it short, they can't commit enough time. Some want it focused on less specific powersets. Some want it small - too many players confuse them. Some want it to require less leadership structure - a raid leader barking orders gives them too many bad vibes/memories.

Why so many different agendas? Because CoH's selling point was on choice and customisation. You can tell WoW players to suck it up and adapt. Whether CoH players will tolerate the same thing is something only time will tell.

Posted: Feb 15th 2011 8:55PM CitizenH said

@Jeromai

The main reason people are now able to brute force Rommy on the ITF is Defense: Stacking Maneuvers, having a bunch of SoA and the change to IO bonuses that allowed people to get a lot of Defense regardless of their AT. If everyone has even just medium defense, it makes it much harder for Rommy to heal of off them and reduces how many DPS killing -recharge debuffs the team gets hit with.

@Dacados
People hated the STF when it first came out and they STILL do. As Jeromai said, PuGs were still failing it left and right when it was the WST and cussing it out left and right in the chat channels. I don't see that happening this week with the much easier LGTF.

Well oiled teams and tight groups of exceptional players may be capable of STF Master and speed runs, but for the average player they tend to avoid it because of the fail rate. Nobody wants to spend a half hour or three frustrated and then have to walk away with nothing to show for it.

I tend to hold the ITF as the gold standard for how long/difficult a TF should be. It's insanely popular compared all the other TFs (with Lady Gray coming in a close #2 IMO), isn't terribly long and can be started with fewer players but still scales up to 8, is co-op, is available to a wide range players from levels 35-50 and these days, has a relatively low failure rate.

Posted: Feb 16th 2011 12:00AM Superfan said

I really enjoy the STF and I don't think THAT many people dislike it. I agree the ITF is the standard for the reasons you listed as well as: somewhat unique maps, mostly unique enemies, decent design and a good amount of fun. The ITF isn't a bunch of old maps slapped together with the same old enemies etc. It is a different experience. One day the idiot devs of this game will realize that.

I thought the weekly target stuff might get me back but I am staying away. maybe this raid mechanic will entice me. I hope it is more interesting and fun than a Hami raid or Cathedral of Pain.

MMO Week in Review: QueueAge