Posted: Feb 13th 2011 6:50PM Romanime said

Hey massively
I was wondering if you guys could do a kind of launch month wrap on DCUO. The majority of player's free month is running out in the next couple of days, and Im sure many are torn on whether or not to sub for another month of play.
Can you give us your thoughts on the MMO the big Pro's the big Con's.
Maybe a poll on whether or not your readers are subbing for that second month?

Sincerely
Romanime

Posted: Feb 13th 2011 6:55PM Saker said

@Romanime
I'd definitely be interested in reading that article.

Posted: Feb 13th 2011 7:55PM Ryn said

I would also like to hear from players that are subbed if the lifetime price is worth it? I know more content will be added in the future, but for some reason I can't pin point, I have doubts about the longevity of the game. SOE is asking for $199 for a lifetime. What do the players think?

I must say I do love the graphics.

Posted: Feb 13th 2011 10:52PM Furdinand said

@Ryn Right now the cost of the lifetime sub is the equivalent of 20 months at the 3 month subscription fee. It's basically a good deal if you plan to play more than that amount of time in the game. Tuesday is supposed to be the Feb content update, so you can always make a judgement after that if you think the updates are going to be enough to keep you playing.

I'm still having fun with the current content, but then, I don't spend do all four duos and all the five or so hard alerts every day. Between the races, raids, and style collections it will be a while before I reach the end of the content on my main.

PvP is still broken for now, hopefully the macro abuse will be neutered in the near future. For now though, it is really a PVE game unless you are a total masochist or a spineless cheater.

Posted: Feb 13th 2011 8:31PM wagonfactor said

the graphics are phenomenal. the gameplay is ... pretty fun. i dont hate the game but i gave up on it 2.5 to 3 weeks in. i made it to 30. i enjoyed the ride there. there is "end game" content but it just wasnt appealing to me. the pvp was fun but there are WAY too many stuns, knockbacks, etc in the game. in pvp you are spamming shift (or whatever key you have bound to breakout) 90% of the time. there doesnt seem to be any diminishing returns. it might be there but it seems broken if there is. there are instances and raids but i never did any of them more than once. i would have loved to stay for the pvp but it just felt broken and boring. once i got over the awesome graphics/world, i realized there wasnt much there for me. not trying to sh!t on the game, alot of people really enjoy it. maybe if i had more free time. ill be playing rift and just dont have the time for another game

Posted: Feb 13th 2011 9:35PM Tizmah said

It was fun to 30 which lasted I guess a week. Level 30 content was fun for a week as well. Got three tier one pieces and..I realized I didn't want to do the same 4 duos again because after that 40th time..you say..ok I've mastered these..no challenge..boring. Raids are once a week usually for most people..and I don't really care to just sub to play a game once a week. So yeah, DCUO was great, but very shortlived. So..I guess I can't say it is an awful game, it's quite fun. As an MMO..not very lasting..

Posted: Feb 13th 2011 11:14PM UnSub said

One thing I've seen on a number of other gaming sites are editors / writers there saying how much fun DCUO is, but the question I have about that is are they getting comped accounts (either from SOE or that their site might be paying for)?

Because DCUO is a fun title, but it isn't one that may people are going to put up a $15 sub fee for. If you are playing for the equivalent of free, I can see why it would get such positive write-ups.

Posted: Feb 14th 2011 7:48AM Yellowdancer said

@UnSub

This was true in the past. Most magazines/sites have moved away from this as the game journalism world has matured. Some may comp for the price of the game but this is rare cause they usually receive one free copy. But the monthy fees comes out the employees pockets. Journalistic Integrity.

The Developer/Publisher does provide press accounts but these are special setups and are supposed to be used for story/review purposes. Not for monthly off hours playtime.

Posted: Feb 14th 2011 8:30AM Krystalle Voecks said

@UnSub

As the DCUO columnist here, I can tell you that I not only bought my own copy of DC Universe Online, but I also pay for my monthly subscription to the game out of my own pocket. I still like it just as much. I have both DCUO and EVE running right now and dip into other paid sub games off and on as the mood takes me.

Posted: Feb 14th 2011 9:22AM UnSub said

@Yellowdancer It's arguable that games journalism has matured much at all. :-)

@Krystalle Voecks Glad you like the game and I'm sure it serves as an interesting contrast to EvE.

Posted: Feb 14th 2011 6:57AM Aelon said

Well as one of those whose free time is just coming up, I can say I'm also not re-subbing. One month later and the same exploits are still in play, the same horrible UI issues plague the PC version, and the same lack of communication about these things from the company is still there. But there's a "Valentine's Day" content update in a few days I guess, for those that have been running the same few instances every day. Personally, I didn't even make it to the level cap. I just didn't want to give them any more of my time when something as simple as alt-tabbing locks up the game 100% of the time (known issue, still not fixed in 30 days). I wanted to replace my former WoW habit with it (more casually, though), but I think I'm in for a lot more Minecraft while SW cooks :p

Posted: Feb 14th 2011 7:49AM Yellowdancer said

@Aelon

Dude, I alt tab all the time and I haven't crashed once. That's a you problem. In fact, I used alt tab to type this msg.

Posted: Feb 14th 2011 8:37AM Krystalle Voecks said

@Aelon

I also alt-tab without issue. :( Sorry to hear you've had that problem!

Have you tried windowed mode as an alternate method? Just as a general rule if I'm having issues with any game in alt-tab situations, I set it to windowed mode but at the same resolution as full-screen. Generally works beautifully, no matter the game.

Posted: Feb 14th 2011 8:01AM Yellowdancer said

I purchased a lifetime. To me its worth it. But the game is not for everyone. If you are a big CO/COX customization fan, you will not like this game. If you do not like button mashy games, you will not like this game. If you are used to MMO's having a lot of UI freedom and sandbox type things, you will not like this game. In fact the UI sucks and needs to kick rocks.

I sit down in my chair, grab my mouse or controller and just run around having fun. But I'm a casual type of player these days. I did the old school EQ grind. I've done the new school WOW quest hubs. I don't need that in every game. My ultimate goal is to just enjoy the game. I don't have to worry about crafting, song twisting, facerolling, min/maxing, elitism or any of that MMO crap anymore.

And the best part is...since the free month is up all the trolls are leaving!

Posted: Feb 14th 2011 10:42AM Orekri said

@Yellowdancer

I have to agree with what you are saying. Although the servers are less populated than they have been in the past, as long as the game still has enough people to do what needs to be done, I am not terribly concerned. The game is fun for me in that sense that if I don't want to do my daily runs of everything, I can just skip them and watch a movie with the wife without any real repercussions. I am enjoying the game and, while it isn't for everyone, it has enough to keep me busy and will continue to do so as long as they keep the content coming.

Posted: Feb 15th 2011 4:36PM mechanicalturk said

I signed up for the recurring 3 month deal at $29.99 on the PS3. I love the game. I will be playing DCUO for a long time. It has more than enough content for me as a casual player. There are probably very few at level cap that have actually tried out everything of interest in DCUO.

I do find the comments related to issues not being fixed, after the first month, a little ridiculous. I have played WoW, AoC, Fallen Earth, and Champions Online at launch. All of them had major issues that lasted far beyond the first month. I stuck with WoW and AoC beyond the first month because I knew that issues would be addressed, content would be added, and that I would continue to have fun playing the game. The other two were not entertaining enough for me to continue.

If you're having fun, keep playing. If not, move along. The issues will be fixed and content will be added.