Posted: Feb 12th 2011 1:51PM Skyydragonn said

good read, and thanks for listing the locations I'm missing one of each, i'll be sure to go back for them now :)

if at all possible since I dont see one anywhere could some one get a list of what the differet buff/debuff icons under the player portrait are?

Also, if possible a list of what each mission iocn is some are purple with 2 faces (group) some yellow 1 face (solo) etc etc I've checked the official forums no info that I can find.

Posted: Feb 12th 2011 1:55PM Dunraven said

Awesome read, honestly I wasn't expecting much with DCUO..but my god I can't remeber when I have had this much fun in a MMO. The SOE haters keep screaming that the game is doomed .. but honestly every day I see more and more people, I heard the PS3 servers are quite full as well.

Posted: Feb 12th 2011 9:12PM Utakata said

@Dunraven

I believe Jef Reahard fittingly refered to them as "fail trolls" in another article. As they oft spell doom for a game/company without giving evidence as to why and/or fail at predicting its demise.

More on topic though...

...I am still interested in trying this game out. When SOE decides to release time cards (Game Stop said sometime this February) I will likely take the plunge. I have to keep in mind, this isn't my mother's Super Hero MMO...thus I have accept a world with a very limiting character creator. Only to evolve the character as I grow.

But at least there isn't a cash shop wall as of yet I have to worry about like with the other two games. In this sense it will be new and refreshing that everything you get is threw subscription...instead of something piece meal.

Posted: Feb 12th 2011 7:52PM Quarlo said

Thanks for the info on the collections. That cowboy hat will be mine next time I log on.

I am not a fan of button mashing anything, but damn DCUO is kinda fun. The tab targeting system leaves alot to be desired, but it's a small speed bump on the fun train.

Posted: Feb 12th 2011 11:57PM Faryon said

I'm not trying to be all doom and gloom here, but now that the free month has ended it seems like the PC-EU servers are a bit emptier.
I still think the game is crazy fun and will keep playing it for a while, but at the same time I can't really blame people for leaving after the first month; especially if they were PvPers because of all the exploits and stuff.
Also, as Quarlo pointed out, the targeting system needs a bit of work.

Posted: Feb 13th 2011 12:27AM iamdrworm said

Another thing to note: all alerts give you a feat if you finish it under a certain time (20 min on normal). So focus on the objectives and beating the boss as soon as possible. You can always go searching around for the collection items after the boss.

Posted: Feb 13th 2011 1:36AM BadTrip said

I've heard a lot about button mashing in relation to DCUO. I just wanted to mention, in case people haven't played or don't know - the button mashing will only get you so far. The different weapons have different rhythms, tied quite tightly to their animations - once you can get into the flow of your weapon you'll deal out a lot more damage. Also, there are 3 types of moves - each with a counter move. If you recognize your opponent's move/animation in time and counter it will result in a stun or hard stun. None of the moves are hard, and at the base it is rock/paper/scissors, but getting to the point where you can instinctively battle well at the speed at which the fighting happens becomes quite immersive.

Also, on the targeting system - there's a 'soft lock' basically and a 'target lock. The soft lock will change depending on who you're facing/moving towards and the target lock will stick to a mob until they're well out of range. In a crowd of baddies, getting down and dirty with the melee, I never use the hard target lock - you knock down the guy on your right, spin around and start beating on the guy behind you - the soft lock will tell you where your next punch will land, but a hard lock will spin you around or possibly cause you to fire off a power in the wrong direction. I use the hard target lock when in flight and fighting, focusing on a certain mob, fighting and dodging or strafing with guns,etc.

I know everyone won't like every game, but I'd hate to see anyone not try it because they think it may be too simple, easy or that button mashing would dominate.

Posted: Feb 13th 2011 1:16PM Snichy said

It is great fun but there still a bit to fix and add to make it truly release-quality. I was assuming SOE would do a patch before the free month was up to try to keep the players but nothing yet. I love the game but may give a month or two until they fix the widely publicised problems.