Posted: Feb 11th 2011 3:05PM Darkstryke said

It's not worth the money at all right now. Thankfully 'beta' allowed some people to save the $50 experience of horrible interface and combat mechanics.

No doubt they'll be fixed eventually, but right now, another rush out the door major let down release. Keybinding is so 1999

Posted: Feb 11th 2011 4:27PM DancingCow said

@Darkstryke

That sums up my feelings on it from the beta.

I'm not writing it off, but I also won't consider playing it for at least 6-12 months.

Posted: Feb 11th 2011 5:02PM sortius said

@Darkstryke It's pretty sad that companies think that they can push a game that's clearly not ready out the door.

Unfortunately even if the game has potential, I doubt it will last the 12 months seeing as there's so much competition in the MMO market at the moment. The key is, get it right at release or don't bother.

Posted: Feb 11th 2011 3:11PM (Unverified) said

Different just for the sake of being different.

Posted: Feb 11th 2011 3:11PM Amblin said

I'm playing this and I have to say right now it has the elements of a good mmo but lacks a lot of polish.

It's early days but if MH can keep producing the goods, i.e. server stability etc then it could be a runner.

My only real gripe is a personal one, I like sandboxes, I don't like the presumption this should equal = no information or guidance.

Hopefully it will come together in time.

Posted: Feb 11th 2011 3:21PM cowboyhugbees said

If this grows to have a fleshed-out character customization, improved performance issues, KEYBINDING, and general TLC from the community suggestions, then it might be worth a look in the future.

As for now, though, no way. I'm not throwing $50 down without even so much as a free trial.

Posted: Feb 11th 2011 3:29PM Lepton1000 said

• 1 heart
Game is terrible. Was in beta. It is horrible. Do not buy.

Posted: Feb 11th 2011 3:36PM Comrade Domovoi said

Having seen their road map, and having played the Beta, I can say with full confidence that this game was rushed for whatever reason. Just look at the road map, and you will see that the game should be released in May at the earliest. I want this game to succeed because I love the concept but Masthead shows a lack of credibility by releasing this early (its really hard to say anything other than they needed some money [yes I know they're offering free game time for early buyers they really have no other choice to save face]).

-Major features are not yet implemented
-Lag, an optimization patch "coming in April" due to FPS issues even on great computers
-Substandard customer support with people waiting days in some cases to actually play the game due to account key issues
-People already selling their accounts for $30 on the forum (this is not against the EULA)
-This one is a bit of a doozy. The server hosting service that they were using got bought by another company and the new company did not go through with the agreement. This was very recent. Instead of keeping the game back from release, they released anyway and people are right now playing on what are supposed to be the beta servers. This fact alone, just screams like a big f*ck you to the fans and makes me extremely weary of even checking out the game in the future. I also wish I was making this part up.

Just some words of advice to anyone considering the game, or thinking about supporting the devs with a purchase for trying something innovative. As always with any new MMO, research and research some more.

Posted: Feb 11th 2011 3:49PM LordBeefy said

"Earthrise doesn't feature any key binding functionality"

Well I stopped reading there and skipped to the comments to see if that was indicative of the game overall.

I see that it is.

Posted: Feb 11th 2011 4:01PM Randomessa said

While Earthrise will never be the game for me, I have to hand it to sandbox fans like Jef who will stick with a game that's rough around the edges instead of bailing and then complaining that nobody's making $100M games for them.

I wish Masthead Studios all the luck and goodwill they need to get Earthrise up to speed.

Posted: Feb 11th 2011 4:49PM pid said

How sad to see a nice concept go awry.

Posted: Feb 11th 2011 5:05PM MMOaddict said

Completely agree with this article. It's one to watch and if the devs can make the right changes, well this game will last a long while. It's all up to them.

Posted: Feb 11th 2011 5:25PM Greyhame said

I'm keeping an eye on this one still. The bit I played of beta showed a game that has potential to be interesting when it's more polished. If they can keep it going, it should turn out well.

Posted: Feb 11th 2011 5:25PM SocksForYou said

The game is in TERRIBLE shape at the moment, far worse than any launch MMO I've played in a long time. Aside from the technical issues, nothing about it is especially fun or satisfying.

The combat is primitive, animations and weapon sounds are bad, the only discernible way to earn credits as a newb is to grind the same bog standard quests over and over, etc. The setting is beautiful but it doesn't feel very cohesive as a game world...just a nice-looking place with random pockets of mobs sprinkled here and there.

To be honest, Earthrise barely feels like a game at this point. Sure, there's lots of potential in there somewhere, but considering the amount of issues at hand I think Masthead's development road map is overly optimistic.

Posted: Feb 11th 2011 5:26PM urgan said

I bought it, played it for an hour or two, and ultimately got very frustrated by the fact that there are no indications as to where you are supposed to go for a mission. I mean none. No map waypoints, not even any indication in most of the mission descriptions. I had literally no idea where to find anything.

Posted: Feb 11th 2011 5:29PM Apakal said

I don't have a lot of respect for games or developers that push out unfinished products in the hopes that enough people will stick around long enough to get the game their money deserves.

Posted: Feb 11th 2011 5:46PM Resurge said

I may be dense, but what is the "P-word"?

I see prior, plunge, patience, probably, and post-apocolyptic in the top of the article, but none of them are singled out in any paricular (look another p-word!) way.

PvP maybe? i dunno.

At any rate - good article ,will check this out in a cpl of months if SWTOR doesnt make the april release most likely - a free trial would go a long way towards that possiblility though.

Posted: Feb 11th 2011 6:44PM Apakal said

@Resurge

"Potential."

In MMO terms, a synonym for unfinished game.

Posted: Feb 11th 2011 7:10PM RizzRustbolt said

Sounds like now is the right time for an explorer like myself to go into the game. Practicing something at it's most difficult is an incredibly good way to learn how to play a game. Like immersion learning for a foreign language. Or getting thrown in the ocean when you're 3 years old.

Posted: Feb 11th 2011 7:48PM Green Chili said

"(it's actually managed to dethrone Darkfall as my current sandbox of choice)."

Sad day indeed, though admittedly, I am keeping an eye on Earthrise, myself. From what i have seen/read so far is not enough to pull me from DF, the combat just looks so bad.

Standing in front of someone and holding down LMB until someone gets dead, does not look fun. Hopefully the combat and server performance will realise its potential soon.

Make My MMO: August 24 - August 30, 2014

Posted on Aug 30th 2014 6:00PM

PAX Prime 2014: ArcheAge is a go for launch!

Posted on Aug 30th 2014 5:00PM