Posted: Feb 10th 2011 11:19AM kaelidancer said

Three classes? That seems a little limiting, unless there's room for some major variation within those classes. Still, I'm interested - I'm a sucker for sci-fi MMOs.

Posted: Feb 10th 2011 11:48AM (Unverified) said

Pocket Legends only has 3 classes and is doing pretty well for itself... sucks I can't get that game running on my phone though.

Posted: Feb 10th 2011 12:06PM Tom in VA said

So Blackstar's "a story-intensive sci-fi yarn", eh?

Hmmm, that would be quite an improvement over Pocket Legends, which was cute but so shallow and repetitive that I lost interest in it after only a few levels.

I suspect this will be another game with a fair amount of polish but not much depth. I hope I'm wrong, though, as it'd be nice to see something good for mobiles that had a little more story to it.

Posted: Feb 10th 2011 12:12PM kgptzac said

While i do feel the engine shows much potential as for a mobile platform, I am uncertain how practical the game can be played on a device that has clunky control (at least for precise gaming) and very limited power source. I guess this is the reason I never got into Pocket Legend. A smartphone is inherited different from a PSP or DS as most people probably don't spend a few hours staring at the phone and play graphics-intense games on it... but oh well we'll see where this goes.

Posted: Feb 10th 2011 3:40PM Beau Hindman said

@kgptzac Take a look at games like Sacred Odyssey for the iPhone and you will find that the market is doing very, very well. Pocket Legends alone is proof of that. Remember, the secret to the success of the mobile market is *because* of the fact that they are tiny, mobile screens; people play them while waiting for moves to start, in between classes, on airplanes. etc. as well as sitting for hours.

At GDC Spacetime talked about how shocked they were at play session length, one of the reasons they changed how their game plays.

Beau

Posted: Feb 10th 2011 3:53PM hami83 said

@kgptzac It can easily work on mobile devices if you make the game right. Obviously things like PvP wont' be as frantic as some moust and keyboard MMOs but it can work quite easily. Also maybe Xperia Play button mapping then? lol

Posted: Feb 10th 2011 3:02PM Doba said

Sexy. But looks like it takes up a lot of battery

Posted: Feb 10th 2011 10:11PM Ripper McGee said

Wow - Blackstar was the MMO they were developing for NCSoft when NCSoft pulled out and they came close to going under. So great that Spacetime is doing well and has adapated and bounced back!

Posted: Feb 11th 2011 2:40AM badpenny said

OMG finally! been waiting for this one for a while, I thot it was vaoirware.

Posted: Feb 11th 2011 2:42AM badpenny said

@badpenny erm, thats Vaporware. spell-check be damned!

Global Chat: Doom and WAAAGH!

Posted on Jul 22nd 2014 8:00PM