Posted: Feb 10th 2011 10:33PM relgoth said

Really looking forward to this patch. I just came back last week and this game has always interested me but the grind is almost impossible as you get higher up.

I think this will really help reduce some of things that kept my from playing. Which means i might stay around longer than a month lol

Posted: Feb 10th 2011 10:34PM MMOaddict said

I am so torn between resubbing for this or playing the EQ progression server. /sigh

Posted: Feb 10th 2011 11:47PM Audacious said

This patch can't come soon enough.

I want to get to 30 and try out Dragoon and Blue Mage so bad but the grinding process is so monotonous with the Fields of Valor manuals.

Posted: Feb 10th 2011 11:47PM Audacious said

@Audacious

*without the field of valor manuals, I meant.

It's pretty monotonous with them, too, but at least it's quicker.

Posted: Feb 11th 2011 12:28AM Suplyndmnd said

I really wish they had thought of listening to the players before they started doing stupid shit like raising level caps. I was a player on and off for 5 years and started to miss it and thinking about resubbing until I hear "new level caps!". It immediately meant i'll never be back again. I know they need to add new content to the game but if just raising caps is all you have left, that means that's nearing the end. Then they go and release XIV and from everything i've heard it blows. I don't want it to be true but with Final Fantasy XI becoming less and less what it was and the meh game that was XIII and the systematic failure of XIV it seems that the Final Fantasy franchise is in trouble. It'll always make money because it's Final Fantasy but I think they're going to start losing younger customers who didn't always grow up with the great and wonderful Final Fantasy the rest of us did.

Posted: Feb 11th 2011 10:02AM relgoth said

@Suplyndmnd

The level caps increase have always been something that was talked about off and on by the devs. And when it came out a ton of people came back to playing because after 5 years of endgame being the same thing at 75 it made alot of poeple quit because they completed it.

I agree full-heartedly that the cap increase made it that harder to level for the little guys like myself. But with double xp comming in it will be way easier to reach 75.

And once you reach 75 abyssea xp is so high that you will be reach 80 within 3-5 hours of being there.

Also i wouldnt worry about 11 too much, with 14 in trouble this is how se is making their mmo money atm. Were no where near close to the end of ffxi, really its just started over gain. Abyssea are just xp zones with a few nms in there for af. The 99 cap isnt even out yet, so that means the new end game content hasnt even started to come out.

Lots of interesting things coming out.

Posted: Feb 11th 2011 12:35AM myr said

Been loving ffxi lately. Shame I don't have more time to play it.

Then again I've been at endgame since 2005...

Posted: Feb 11th 2011 2:06AM Zellis said

Simple question that ive always pondered about this game. I got to play it for like a week on the 360 and hated the controls witch lead me to quit before the free month was up.

I currently play world of warcraft, and only truely value an mmo's End game content Ive been doing wows end game for 6 years now (and its had its ups and downs).

What does this game have to offer in that department? Are there raids or something close to what a raid is? Or is it just farming mundane mobs to collect items to summon an even bigger mob for rare items?

Im not trolling, just simply bored of wows new expansion and just poking my head around other MMOs without spending money. Feel free to PM me if the response is huge, i fully intend to read it all and ask more questions that i just simply cant find easily on the net. thanks guys :)

Posted: Feb 11th 2011 4:01AM Wisdomandlore said

I've been thinking about trying this one again (Haven't played since 2004). How much trouble will I have finding groups at lower levels, though? Also, any suggestions on a server.

Posted: Feb 11th 2011 9:46AM relgoth said

@Wisdomandlore

Alot has changed since 2004. With the field of valor manuals and the xp increases over the years the game has become alot more solo friendly.

No longer do you need a pt after 12, or at all for that matter. Me and my gf came back this week and used the level sync feature where we can sync our levels to be the same. She started a drk while i lvled my dancer(new job btw).

All were doing is duoing and shes already 26 and its about 4 days since she started it from 1. The pace is alot faster now and were getting exp chain 4s and 5s. We also may log like 3 hrs at most in the xp sessions, not being hardcore about it either and theres alot of afk for this and that in the middle of it lol. We really just lvl by the xp bonus rings they gave out.

Groups can be hard to come by atleast on my server (bahumut) but its the original server and its always been hard to find a low lvl pt. End game is bursting with people and most people do the new content (abyssea) all the time all you need to do is find a guild to take you along.

As far as server pops Asura followed by bahumut are the two biggest. The other servers have decent enough pops to still do alot of things, they arnt dead by any stretch. But ive always been on bahumut since 2004 so id admit i dont know much about other servers.

Just to put it into summation this game is far from dead the last vanadiel census measuring somewhere around 500k subs to game still 10 years later. Which is better than most games that came out a few years ago. It has alot of staying power, its survived 14 and it will continue to survive and thrive for years to come.