Posted: Feb 10th 2011 3:18PM DevilSei said

@ErikC

I really hope that is what they mean. After playing through 2 expansions and raiding in the game, I can safely say in my opinion its got to be the dullest treadmill I've ran through yet.

And I'd hate to have to run through it a second time.

Posted: Feb 10th 2011 10:47AM tristanius said

WoW has many elements that work, and it's intelligent to try to go with what works. There's a reason so many people play it.

Posted: Feb 10th 2011 10:47AM Thac0 said

TLDR version "Yes TOR is a WoW clone. We feel like not trying to clone wow is stupid."

Posted: Feb 10th 2011 11:48AM sleepr said

@Thac0 No, it isn't. You people jusk make stupid assumptions. He's not saying SWTOR is a clone, hes saying they would be stupid not to see that WoW is the standard and it's a quality game.

Posted: Feb 10th 2011 12:00PM Thac0 said

@sleepr
I happen to disagree. Its a polished game yes, and it has responsive controls but three is much about it that really bores me to death; such as gear grinds, raiding the same stuff repeatedly, rep grinds, never ending meaningless quests that just say kill 10X, and on. If they are thinking that its game design and play style is something to mimic "because lots of people play wow so if we do the same thing people will like it" then they are losing me as a customer because i am not a wow fan.

Posted: Feb 10th 2011 12:09PM sleepr said

@Thac0 have you read anything about this game? cause it doesn't look like it.

Posted: Feb 10th 2011 12:16PM Thac0 said

@sleepr Reading tells me nothing.. I've read so much about so many games only to have them released with few of the features and promises that I read about. I love Bioware but I refuse to believe anything a developer says until i see it with my own two eyes I;ve been burned too many times.

Posted: Feb 10th 2011 12:27PM sleepr said

@Thac0 Ok fair enough.

Posted: Feb 14th 2011 12:14PM sandwiches said

@Thac0
A swing and a miss.

Posted: Feb 10th 2011 10:48AM Thasri said

• Half a heart
/ignored......

Posted: Feb 10th 2011 10:52AM Sleaker said

I don't think he's talking about making the same game. I wouldn't be surprised if they listed off major traits of MMOs and found out which ones cause WoW to do well vs which ones that other games left out and didn't to very well.

Just seems like market research is all, and something that every game developer needs to do a bit more of rather than just shoving a game at people and expecting money to come back in.

Posted: Feb 10th 2011 11:32AM wigg1es said

@Sleaker

Basically this. WoW just established a list of things that you expect to be in an MMO, basically just because they found great success with that particular combination of basics. Think of things like talent trees, action bars, inventory bags, trade skills, etc. etc. etc. WoW didn't invent those things, but it mainstreamed them (which is a bit unfortunate if the one thing you want to see in the industry are truly different experiences).

Including these things in your game doesn't automatically make your game a WoW copy. There are plenty of ways to innovate within those systems themselves to distinguish one from the other.

But the point he was trying to make was that not including one or more of these things is a pretty dumb idea, because it ultimately makes players feel like they're getting short-changed or that the company got cheap on the development. How many successful MMOs don't have talent trees or a crafting system?

Posted: Feb 10th 2011 10:57AM Langx2 said

• 1 heart
everyone wants wow's numbers but they don't want to put in the same development costs. time will tell how much they stole in the name of the status quo, and how much they actually worked on. I'm sure the voice overs for this game will be great, but as any mmo vet knows, you turn off the sound and blast your own music half way in and for the next x amount of months/years that you play.

Posted: Feb 10th 2011 11:22AM Larry Everett said

@Langx2

It's not that they want WoW's numbers, per se. If you listen to the EA conference call, you will understand that it doesn't take beating WoW to be successful in EA's mind. However, what is being said here is that ignoring WoW would be ignorant. WoW is wildly successful for good reason, and if you want your game to be successful (like WoW) then you have to build off of what they did.

Personally, I agree and disagree with that sentiment. Yes, you can be successful using WoW as the litmus test, but I also believe that the MMO audience is wide enough where WoW doesn't have the be -the- standard.

Regarding development costs... EA has dumped more money into SWTOR than any other MMO to date. I think it's save to say they are fronting enough development cost.

Posted: Feb 10th 2011 11:29AM Aquaryon said

@Langx2

I am a MMO vet and I never turned off the sound / music of the game. I would lower the volume for Vent but thats about it. I absolute love the music in most MMOs and the sound effects.

Posted: Feb 10th 2011 12:13PM cowboyhugbees said

@Aquaryon Agreed, video game music usually doesn't bother me as much as it does for other people.

Posted: Feb 10th 2011 11:07AM Vorender said

Well, that comment was disturbing eh?

Posted: Feb 10th 2011 11:08AM Beags said

Is he trolling or what. i mean come ON!
i mean HOW did he not get kicked out of the company upon the phrase "And if they break any of the WoW rules, in my book that's pretty dumb," Zeschuk said." leaving his mouth.

Posted: Feb 10th 2011 11:18AM Liltawen said

Every time I start thinking maybe this won't be the Titanic in a galaxy far,far away; he comes along and says something like this. I think they'ld do alot better if the Devs would just shut up and they'd release some action footage or something.

Posted: Feb 10th 2011 11:20AM kaelidancer said

• 1 heart
Well, that was easy. One less MMO for me to try. Thanks for the honesty! :)