Posted: Feb 9th 2011 5:07PM FrostPaw said

For a second there I saw that screenshot and wondered if somebody was bringing back Tabula Rasa Free 2 Play.

As for should mmos continue with low subscriver numbers I don't really think its a question we get an opinion on. If enough people are paying and playing to make a profit then theres no reason to stop running the game. No ammount of good will is going to convince a company losing money month over month to keep a game running.

Posted: Feb 9th 2011 5:13PM Platypus Man said

@FrostPaw

Someone totally needs to bring TR back from the dead as an F2P title.

Posted: Feb 10th 2011 3:01AM hami83 said

@Platypus Man Yes they do.

I always thought this game would be quite profitable as a F2P, however my other guess is that the rights to run this game is probably in a legal blackhole since there are multiple parties involved.

Posted: Feb 9th 2011 5:12PM Platypus Man said

Y'all have to stop teasing me with Tabula Rasa pictures. I still have this incredible irrational hope that someone will resurrect it. I know it won't happen, but...

Posted: Feb 9th 2011 5:13PM paterah said

Lol, for a second I thought this was Earthrise until I read "Tabula Rasa" from the guy above me, you can't really blame me :P

Posted: Feb 10th 2011 3:11AM pcgneurotic said

@paterah

TR chick wins the Hotness contest there IMO. :D

Posted: Feb 9th 2011 5:14PM Alarie said

Such a tease with that image! Evil Massively people!

Posted: Feb 9th 2011 5:29PM InventionExchange said

Very cool to hear more writers in there mixing it up with Shawn and Rubi.

Thanks folks!

Posted: Feb 9th 2011 5:34PM Interitus said

I say if you are closing a game down then at least release the code to the community so they can run private servers. Yes, some games come back. But if it just isn't going to happen, at least let those who still played the game.. still play the game.

Posted: Feb 9th 2011 5:36PM Transientmind said

Ugh. I was cleaning out trash sitting in junk folders in my HD and found my Tabula Rasa screenshots folder, sitting unscathed after the (eventual) uninstallation. Logos, amazing scenery in vivid colours, inspiring invasions... I can't believe this thing failed. I didn't get to the endgame, it was taking me a while and I joined late... probably by then the 'damage had been done', but nine months after release my play experience was smooth, enjoyable, full of fun groups and bug-wise: flawless. I think 'community' bitterness must have done the deed here.

Posted: Feb 10th 2011 11:19AM nevin said

@Transientmind Same experience. Was a really enjoyable game..while it lasted.

Posted: Feb 9th 2011 5:38PM SnarlingWolf said

No game will likely ever stay around as a loss to the company. Some companies care more about their fans then others but I doubt any of them love their fans enough to lose money month after month just to give them a game to play.

If truly hardcore players want to keep a small/dying game around their are three obvious options.

1) Do some marketting of their own and spread word of mouth to get others to join their game thus increasing the profitability of it. Unfortunatly in most of the older games that I've played the players want the game to be bigger and stay around forever but tend to respond with "It's not my job/I'm not paid to do it" when it comes to spreading the word to get others to play. It is some sort of strange relationship some die hard fans have when it comes to possibly doing something just for the result it might have instead of the instant reward/paycheck.

2) Sub up some more accounts. If all of the die hard fans sub 2-3 accounts then the game is suddenly making 2-3 the amount of money and it might be enough to bump it up intot he profitable range or maybe even cause the company to invest more in hopes of seeing more growth.

3)Wait for the game to close down and approach the company about picking up the project on a free to run situation (where a group of people runs the game without making money off of it since companies will usually say no to someone wanting to run an old project of theirs for a profit). A few games have had this happen so it certainly isn't unheard of.

But in the end if the game isn't profitable then a company is going to shut it down. Unfortunately more players now a days are willing to play a game non-stop but then talk crap about it both on the official forums and all over the internet in some strange attempt to get things changed to how they want them and in the process they hurt or kill their favorite game.

Posted: Feb 9th 2011 6:12PM Tom in VA said

Sigh. Tabula Rasa.

It really amazes me that TR failed while so many sub-par games just seem to stagger on and on and on. That NCSoft pushed Aion (yech!) and basically dumped TR -- go figure that one.

I would LOVE to see TR come back as a F2P, perhaps charging would-be players for level increases and expansions or something. TR was vastly superior to DDO and CO, imo. It's too bad it never got a second chance.

Posted: Feb 9th 2011 6:18PM Dartanis said

Great show guys!

Curiosity, Bree Royce, were you once in a wow family-style guild, Celestial Vanguard?

Posted: Feb 9th 2011 6:29PM Brianna Royce said

@Dartanis Nope, sorry! I've been in the same guild for basically my whole MMO existence.

Unless, of course, I've just come into an inheritance, in which case, yes, I am exactly whoever you think I am! Hehe.

Posted: Feb 9th 2011 6:30PM Haldurson said

I truly enjoyed TR, least until the higher levels of the game. The question wasn't between keeping it going or putting it to rest, but more of keeping it going or fix the darn thing, fill in the gaps in content at high levels, etc.

I had some of my best MMO experiences in TR -- conquering and defending bases. But I simply ran out of things to do in the game, waiting for the game to be fixed and filled in. So I quit. I didn't even come back when the game was free to play. At that point, I was completely bored with it, and making it free did nothing to keep my interest.

Unless the game is revived with some effort to keep it going with bug fixes, balancing, and new content, I see no reason resurrect it. Of course, that's my perspective, based on my experiences in the game. I'd rather it was left to rest in peace as a good memory than have it come back as the decaying zombie that it had become.

Posted: Feb 10th 2011 2:00AM Graill440 said

@Haldurson

I remember the gaps, after 40 it was painfull. I also remember the devs and gms were so pissed. I had a log of over 25 broken quests, i asked for help, the gm, looked at my logged and typed an expletive and just advanced them enmass, i sat here like.......just umm, hmm. They apologized and finished closing out the quests so i could at least turn them in. The empty high level areas, sad the game had potential.

Posted: Feb 9th 2011 6:31PM Graill440 said

• 1 heart
Tabula Rasa lives, its called RIFT.

Posted: Feb 9th 2011 7:19PM Orvi said

@Graill440 Incorrectamundo. In a great many ways.

Posted: Feb 9th 2011 7:33PM Mhaer said

@Graill440

I tried Rift in the hope that what you said was true, but the rifts aren't even close to invasions in terms of my personal enjoyment.

Add to that the setting difference and combat difference, and yeah .... Rift is no TR.

Make My MMO: December 14 - 20, 2014