Posted: Feb 9th 2011 12:10PM BigAndShiny said

My issue is that many skills in the soul system are the same as other souls' just with different names. Also, it doesn't feel like the pq thing because there are a billion rifts. Once everyone gets past level 30, i can assure you low level zones will have a couple rifts MAX.

Also, it's very frustrating being level 14 and just running along and having an invasion come at you or a rift on top of you. Not cool. :) overall, rift is a wow/war copy BUT it's good for it. That fun to millions of people, so don't think of it as a bad thing!!!!!

Posted: Feb 9th 2011 1:04PM meanieme said

@BigAndShiny
Only the initial skills are similar to each other in trees but that's because they each have to be designed to be a main tree in their own right.

Posted: Feb 9th 2011 1:08PM aurickle said

@BigAndShiny
At the low levels, many of the skills in each soul within a calling seem very similar. However, the farther you progress into each soul the more it differentiates itself from all the others.

A good example is the Elementalist vs. the Necromancer. Both are pet classes. Over the first few levels they seem almost indistinguishable from each other in terms of play. But as you progress you discover that the Elementalist more or less supplements his current pet while the Necro develops a synergy with the pet. They end up playing very, very differently and you can already see this emerging by your early teens.

Another example is the rogue classes. All of them have abilities that build combo points and finishing moves to spend those combo points. At level 1, how many variants on that are possible? They all feel identical. But by the mid teens you're seeing significant differences. You quickly realize that it's not just a WoW rogue with more talent trees available, but rather several unique rogues that share some similarities.

Posted: Feb 9th 2011 1:50PM yeppers said

@BigAndShiny

Shame on you, sir, for having an opposing yet supporting viewpoint!! Shame on you and let you be grayed-out!!!

I agree with you for the most part. I don't mind the rifts so much but I can't imagine how fun and unique they will be by the time you've seen them thousands of times to level cap.

Trion themselves have compared their game to every other MMO out there saying it's got parts of all of them. That's been one of their main selling points -- saying it will be easy for people who play other MMOs to transition to their game.

Different enough from other MMOs? Maybe for some maybe not for others. If it's so different, then why does it feel stale and lifeless to me? Like I've been there and done that from level one.

My wish is the souls you acquired actually changed your character. IMO they're exactly like the WoW talent trees -- only giving you more trees to choose from.

Posted: Feb 9th 2011 3:49PM BigAndShiny said

@yeppers
Lets just white-out anyone who is insulting 'the game'. In two months it'll be swtor, in eight, GW2/TSW. I have played until level 28 in Rift as a pyro/ele/storm and i can tell you, that in my honest and non biased opinion. It felt like an 'improved' wow that needed a couple fixes. It is still in beta, it has time.

Rift is fine, heck i might even play it for some months, but i was just saying IT'S NOT SPECIAL, OR NEW. thats all

Posted: Feb 9th 2011 12:28PM Distaste said

• Half a heart
Bottom line is that RIFT is a WoW/WAR hybrid that doesn't break far enough away from the mold to make it interesting to those that have played those games before. The soul system is neat but you still end up in a "classic" synergistic spec. RIFTS are neat but they get boring quickly like WAR's PQs. Easter eggs are cool but they are .01% of gameplay. The rest is classic WoW questing on Rails.

Posted: Feb 9th 2011 12:54PM DaBruuzer said

• Half a heart
@Distaste

I couldn't agree more. I was so excited for this game until I played it (for MANY hours during various stages). It really is the same old stuff with a new wrapping.

Posted: Feb 9th 2011 7:24PM Jwheeler said

@Distaste and all who agree with him

If you guys think it's just another WoW/WAR, go back to playing them and let those who want to play a new MMO do it. If you're so dead set on thinking that it's WoW with a new look, go back to raiding Cata and have fun there. It gets old hearing people say the same thing, "Oh, it's just like WoW" or "It's nothing special." I played WoW for almost 6 years and frankly, I'm tired of it. I'm now moving on to the new generation of MMOs, like Rift and soon (hopefully) Swtor, ones that are changing and adding things to the way you experience them. All in all, most MMOs in someways are similar in mechanics, you stand there and hit the mob by pressing your attack bar: 1,2,4,1,2 etc etc.

Posted: Feb 9th 2011 12:30PM BigAndShiny said

• Half a heart
@BruceLeeglad
Effectively game columnists are fanboys discussing 'their' game, which imo is perfectly fine. I enjoy the Age Of Conan, Champions, Rift, and the odd SWTOR column(s)

Posted: Feb 9th 2011 12:32PM werewood said

They are doing things far better in my opinion. Not perfect. And WG2 is going to own RIFT. But till then - they are the best option to spend your 15$ a month. At lest for me.

The only problem - real one - is the dullness of the theme-park. But you can rift and pvp alternatively.

Posted: Feb 9th 2011 4:56PM Crestfallen said

@werewood

GW2 won't "own" Rift because it wont compete with Rift. GW2 is a one shot investment. I'll play both if GW2 turns out to be worth playing, since I can keep a rolling subscription with Rift and just pay for the box with GW2.

I have some reservations about GW2 though that will need to be settled before I invest in it, especially considering the fiasco that was Aion. Domo arigato Mr. Roboto...

GW may very well have sidestepped this issue simply by being fully instanced. We'll see how they handle the bots in GW2, and as long as they manage to prevent them I'll buy it. NCSoft/ArenaNet have a lot of work to prove they can manage botting before I'll risk cash on another NCSoft game.

I don't blame ArenaNet, in fact they are the only reason I am willing to give GW2 a chance, but the fact is if NCSoft is involved in the servers I have serious doubts.

Posted: Feb 9th 2011 12:33PM j1083 said

My issue is that my biggest gripe about WoW is the lack of appearance tab and, from all that I've heard, Rift doesn't have one, either. :(

Sounds neat, otherwise!

Posted: Feb 9th 2011 1:12PM aurickle said

@j1083
You're right; Rift does not have cosmetic gear. It would be really nice if it did.

Rift does have primary and secondary dye channels for your gear, however, with a pretty impressive variety of dyes to choose from. (Three or four shades of each hue, with many different hues to choose from.) The dye traders are in the capital cities and kind of easy to miss so it's no surprise that most people don't know about this yet.

Posted: Feb 9th 2011 1:39PM Ocho said

@j1083

Very true. WoW would be better if it had an appearance tab, then all the awards from holiday events wouldn't be as trivial, and you wouldn't look like you forgot how to dress yourself in the morning. Only issue would be with PvP, I guess, but the easy solution to that is to just disable it in battlegrounds and arena. Done.

Posted: Feb 9th 2011 12:35PM Teki said

Reminds me of the spin Warhammer Online put out about how much it isn't like WoW, then it turns out it was very similar to WoW. Yes, WO world pvp was a vast improvement to WoWs, however scenarios were more of the same.

Posted: Feb 9th 2011 12:38PM kjhasdfjkhk said

I'm going to punch the next person who says this is anything like Warhammer. Oddly enough, the ones who usually say that have never (or barely) actually PLAYED Warhammer.

To the people saying that Rifts are like WAR's PQs...I don't think I've done a PQ in WAR for about 2 years. The idea was novel at release, for about a month, then nobody ever did them. The game is based completely around PvP (or RvR) at this point, even while leveling up. Perhaps this is similar to WAR was at launch, but since when is an effective assessment of an MMO merely based on the first month of its release?

The only thing remotely similar to WAR is Port Scion because it's an open PvP city, much like Praag in WAR. That's about the only similarity I can find. Classes are completely different, game mechanics are different, the game looks different.

Posted: Feb 9th 2011 12:53PM Mynsc said

@kjhasdfjkhk Actually, I'm pretty sure the person who wrote this article has never played Warhammer. Or else they would've known about the open grouping that exists in warhammer also (4th argument).

PQs were pretty important in WAR too...atleast in the first 5 months when I played. They counted towards zone control so they were grinded like hell when we were trying to take over a region. Not to mention, for those that didnt run dungeons that much, they could actually give some good stuff.

Yes, Rifts own PQs, but the system is almost identical.

Also, I would like to point out to you the graphic / audio and UI style similarities. I for one was sure I was looking at Warhammer when a friend sent me a pic with his char from a RIFT beta.
Here it is: http://i.imgur.com/jzDnY.jpg
I dare you to tell me you cant see how similar they are.

Posted: Feb 9th 2011 1:45PM Lenn said

@kjhasdfjkhk I can agree on everything, except the look of the game. The first thing that popped into my mind during the first beta weekend when stepping out of the newbie building was "this looks exactly like WAR". And it does. Not the character models, mind; those are lightyears ahead of those in WAR. But the scenery and general atmosphere are very much like WAR's.

Posted: Feb 9th 2011 4:41PM sortius said

@Lenn Not sure what game you were playing, but Rift looks nothing like WAR.

Posted: Feb 9th 2011 10:38PM (Unverified) said

@kjhasdfjkhk, Rift's rifts reminded me of Warhammer quite a lot. But they DIDN'T remind me of WAR's public quests. They reminded me of a PvE version of WAR's RvR lakes. The feeling of joining an open group and frantically running around the zone to wherever the next group of enemies was felt very similar to running around the RvR lakes - just with a PvE fight at each point instead of PvP.