Posted: Feb 9th 2011 3:42PM Yoh said

As an artist, this turns me on. :)

I love to see them putting their new tools to good usage.
I'm going to have a lot of fun playing 'dress up' with my GW2 characters.

Posted: Feb 9th 2011 3:51PM kgptzac said

I like how they addressed the issue of realism vs fantasy. hopefully the outcome is balanced enough

Posted: Feb 9th 2011 4:02PM Valentina said

I love the style, I find it perfect!

Posted: Feb 9th 2011 4:22PM crainey92 said

I'm glad to see that their keeping the Guild Wars art style, which they were always going to do ofcourse but I mean as a big time Guild Wars fan I just can't wait.

Posted: Feb 9th 2011 4:26PM Minofan said

More to love. ^_^

I expect you've seen on guru by now, Rubi, but that isn't mesmer attire; Regina stopped by to clarify that the blue/green outift is town clothing, not armor.

Posted: Feb 9th 2011 5:04PM DevilSei said

@Minofan
SSsssssh!

That "town clothing" you saw is just a crafty Mesmer mind trick to keep you from finding out they are indeed the Mesmers you're looking for...

Posted: Feb 9th 2011 5:09PM Dumac said

Looks good. Although, something is odd about the male stance, looks like the knees are bent too far inwards, or just an odd pose to stand in.

I was concerned about metal armor because in the trailers it looked kinda oily rather than shiny, but its been a long time since that and it seems they paid some attention to that in and now it looks great.

Can't wait to see the sylvari.

Posted: Feb 9th 2011 5:12PM DevilSei said

I've said it a few times, but god do I love the artistic style of Arena.nets team. The character models definitely look much more modern, but it still retains that same style.

And the little bonus bit of info given about armor customization is tasty... as well as how much control we (possibly) will have over our characters physical characteristics.

Posted: Feb 9th 2011 5:49PM Irem said

I become more and more convinced with everything they release that playing this game will be a good idea.

I mentioned this over on GW2Guru, but my favorite part of the blog was actually the fact that they not only acknowledged that many people are uncomfortable with skimpy armor, but confirmed that they'll be designing plenty of practical armor as well, gave examples from both sexes, and approached the topic with respect instead of mockery or defensiveness. Class act all the way, guys. That's how you do it.

Posted: Feb 9th 2011 8:05PM Shazzie said

@Irem
I've always loved their art style. I have nothing against skimpy armor when it's a choice, but when it's your ONLY choice as a female (which I am, and which I always play) - while the guys are always covered head to toe - it gets really aggravating.

So, yes. Very classy, indeed.

Posted: Feb 9th 2011 11:10PM Jade Effect said

@Irem

Did you happen to play Guild Wars? Because this is what they had already done.

For example, take that skimpy female warrior Gladiator armor.

Then you have the complete head-to-toe metal armor for the female warrior

I don't see how this is actually new, since they've been doing this for, uh, 5 years.

Posted: Feb 9th 2011 8:04PM Tom in VA said

One of the (few) things I disliked about the original GW was that human body shapes depended on your class: the male warrior was fine, but if you wanted to play a male necro you had to play a hunch-backed zombie. If you wanted to play a male mesmer, you had to look like ... Michael Flatley.

I loved GW's classes, but I hated a lot of the character models. I am really pleased GW2 is getting away from that kind of limitation -- and also allowing players a lot of choice in their character's appearance.

Posted: Feb 10th 2011 5:43PM Valdamar said

@Tom in VA
Yeah I actually decided against playing a Necromancer in GW recently purely because of the "emo crouch" stance that the character seems to have - I ended up deciding to play Michael Flatley instead :p

Posted: Feb 10th 2011 5:50PM Valdamar said

My only problem with that article is that whole facially the GW2 character looks much better, in terms of texturing it looks like there is less embroidered detail on the boots in particular but the dress as well in the GW2 character when compared to the GW1 one. Though in every other respect of course the GW2 character is better, and I guess a lot of people prefer a less fussy appearance.

I'm glad that classes will share armour within a type, because while it might be useful to identify players at a glance as to what class they are, I much prefer just having a lot more choice on how my character looks.

In particular what really irked me more than anything in GW1 was that facial/body-type appearance was also tied to class and campaign - in particular only certain classes in certain campaigns had a full beard option on males, when I wanted my male Warrior in Prophecies to have a full beard, but he couldn't, while it was an option for my male Paragon (Nightfall-only class).

One Shots: Mandy the Christmas Whale