Posted: Feb 8th 2011 3:14PM Gaugamela said

I never met no one that fit the usual stereotype of the game nerd.

Posted: Feb 8th 2011 5:20PM Naoki7 said

Those guys are playing Mario Party. Look at the middle one's hand!

Posted: Feb 8th 2011 5:31PM JoeH42 said

There's usually some truth behind most stereotypes but I've never given a crap about how the world thinks I should be. I often find it easier to get along with people online vs. RL because I'm not a super-fast thinker. I converse a lot better when I have an extra second or two to think about how to phrase my response rather than having to blurt something out. This isn't a big issue, I don't stumble and trip over words IRL, but I certainly come across as a lot more clever online with the extra few seconds to think of something to say. The only downside I see to the gamer stereotype is with the stereotype of roleplaying games (as in pen and paper). There's SOOOOO many people who would probably love RPing if they gave it a shot and would find it a great creative means and a way to tell amazing stories... but they never give it a shot because they're afraid of social pressures and the stereotype of the "D&D nerd". And that's just too bad because while no past time is for everyone, a lot of people would like it if they gave it a shot.

Posted: Feb 9th 2011 3:55AM Saerain said

At least the poll was anonymous. Contrary to what happens on 4chan or SomethingAwful, anonymous polls (or, at least, those that allow the person to feel anonymous) turn out much more accurate than those that aren't. It takes the ego at least partially out of the equation.

Posted: Feb 9th 2011 4:06AM Saerain said

Also, it is important to note that 'the average gamer is less attractive than the average athlete' is a far cry from 'the average gamer is less attractive than the average non-gamer.' The latter is the stereotype being bucked, as the appeal of gaming has expanded dramatically to make nerds like us a minority amongst gamers, whilst previously dominant hobbies have fallen so far to the wayside that they're now as insular as gaming once was and the stereotypes that once applied to us are now better applied to people who fish or play pool.

There's also the inclusion of European gamers. Anyone who's been to CCP's fanfest in Reykjavik can't tell me that most of the gamers there were unattractive. Holy crap. Gamers from all over Europe convened and we were mistaken for everything from actors to bicyclists by the slightly confused populace of Reykjavik.

Make My MMO: December 14 - 20, 2014