Posted: Feb 8th 2011 11:54AM SnarlingWolf said

• 1 heart
"We are confident that a new standard has been achieved -- no longer should browser games be considered sub-par to their console or PC-installed counterparts,"

I hope he realizes that a space game is far less demanding on a system then most other types of games. To say that browser technology can rival the top console-PC tech at this point is laughable.

Some day browser tech will get to a pretty close level along side the top PC/Console engines but it isn't there yet.

Posted: Feb 8th 2011 12:30PM Sente said

@SnarlingWolf

He does not say that browser technology can rival top console/PC technology, that is your own interpretation.

He says that browser _games_, not _game technology_ no loinger need to be considered subpar - i.e. he thinks that it is possible to deliver a game experience that might be just as fun/good as a console/PC title. Quite different things.

Posted: Feb 8th 2011 12:32PM Beau Hindman said

@SnarlingWolf Check out what they are doing with Ruined Online: http://massively.joystiq.com/2010/10/12/gdco-2010-bigpoints-alan-dunton-on-the-next-gen-of-browsers/ -- granted, it's not on the scale of an MMO as far as number of players, but I saw it with my own eyes and I can say that the tech is definitely on par with many MMOs.

Now, is it at the highest level, comparable to the highest level of single player games? No, but it is comparable to many. Give it (I say) about 3 years and browser games/technology will definitely be where it's at. Mobile gaming is already taking off, thanks to iPhone/smart phone tech.

Beau

Posted: Feb 8th 2011 1:45PM SnarlingWolf said

@Sente

That is fair. However, gameplay is only part of the equation in a game.

So if you have two games which have equal levels of gameplay but one of the games has a far better graphics/effects/physics/networking engine in it, then the other game is subpar.

We already know how much of a factor graphics play in a lot of gamers' minds (how often do you hear "I would go try out that game if they improved the graphics" when referring to older MMOs) so you can't rule that part out when talking about a game overall.

Posted: Feb 8th 2011 1:53PM SnarlingWolf said

@Beau Hindman

I agree that the Unity engine has a lot to offer (and think it is great that it has a price point low enough to let amateurs and indie studios work with it). But, the engine is still weaker then a lot of the big boys (Crytech, Unreal, ID).

I think overall browser games will only be equal to regular games if/when cloud computing really takes off and gets all of the latency issues ironed out. That will allow all of the major processing to be done off the machine (out of the browser) and will allow it an equal level of technology. That will also open up the level of software tablets and other small devices can run. That is, as you say, at least a few years away still.

I'm not knocking the game or how it looks. I have just grown tired of big names in gaming companies making statements that just aren't accurate or that oversell their products (like MMO CEOs saying their next MMO will easily have a million players, something only a few MMOs have ever managed at all).

Posted: Feb 8th 2011 2:12PM Thac0 said

@SnarlingWolf
I hope you realize this is marketing.

Posted: Feb 8th 2011 3:26PM sortius said

@SnarlingWolf I had a go of this yesterday, it doesn't live up to these statements.

It's ugly, sluggish, and barely playable. The amount of input lag is insane, you're not sure if you've hit a button or not, and by the time you realise you have, well, you've hit it a 2nd time.

The animations are terribad too. I know it's beta, but this feels more like an early alpha release of a game from 10 years ago.

Posted: Feb 8th 2011 3:58PM SnarlingWolf said

@Thac0

It is one form of marketing that borders on false advertising. It also results in giving your company a bad rep which will keep people from buying future products.

You can market without over exaggerating/lying but it requires you have a good product to begin with. You can show in game footage/gameplay which should sell itself if the game is good. You can give people early access to make reviews, which will turn out positive if you have a good product. There are lots of other options in marketing then making statements that exaggerate and I have no issue with those other options.

Posted: Feb 8th 2011 6:26PM Birk said

@Thac0

Speaking as someone with a marketing background, the theory of good marketing is creating value and marketing those "features" to the needs/pains of the customer base.

Making false claims about value is not a sustainable model, for obvious reasons. And more often than not, it's a sure way to lose in the long run.

-Birk

Posted: Feb 8th 2011 12:08PM tk421242 said

Well even if it does not equal some other installed titles I am sure it will be better than farmville!

Hopefully.

Posted: Feb 8th 2011 12:23PM Rindon said

I have played this game about ten minutes now and it is actually pretty fun. I am not too sure how in depth the game goes yet. The controls are a little tricky at first but work, a lot of auto attacking from what I have seen with the noob ship.

pew pew.

Graphics are decent for browser game as well.

Posted: Feb 8th 2011 12:35PM Beau Hindman said

@Rindon Sorry to answer every comment, but I want to make sure that everyone knows about the new title! :)

I was the first US writer to cover the game a while ago ( http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/01/18/first-impressions-battlestar-galactica-online/ ) and one of the great things was that I was able to play around with the larger craft. I loved the second tier ship (the Marauder?) because it was powerful and fast. I didn't get to try out missions much, though -- have you played many of those?

Beau

Posted: Feb 8th 2011 12:34PM shockologist said

Spent a few minutes in the tutorials and I like the idea but the controls definately need some improvement (Hold both mouse buttons for smoother turning would be nice)

Graphics nice and not laggy at all.

If your waiting for a patch to drop on Wow this morning it might be a nice diversion for a couple of hours.

You do need to install "unity player" which is basically a plug in for the game graphics.

Posted: Feb 8th 2011 2:13PM stryker71 said

I was skeptical going into a browser/tv show based MMO. Let me just say I'm completely suprised and am really enjoying this game. It's like a mix of Microsoft's Freelancer with BSG themes.

I've tried several F2P games lately: Champions Online, LoTRO, Vindictus and none held my attention like this.

The PvP element of this game is very strong and it seams that there is always a constant/aggressive war going between the 2 sides.

It's casual enough to keep new players from getting too overwhelmed, but definitely has enough depth to keep vets interested.

And the pew pew is very fun

Posted: Feb 8th 2011 3:05PM HokieKC said

I'm fairly new to MMOs and don't understand how a free to play browser based MMO makes money.

Posted: Feb 8th 2011 3:47PM Wild Colors said

@HokieKC

By allowing you to spend real money to purchase in-game items. There is a careful balance between making the options tempting enough that people actually buy them, while not making them overpowered enough to actually destroy gameplay balance.

Does anyone know what is available for purchase in BSGO? I would assume some of the standard +10% experience items? Maybe a special (but not too overpowered) ship type? Or just earlier access to more ship types?

Posted: Feb 8th 2011 7:59PM Callagan said

@Wild Colors They sell an ingame currency. While there's no in-game trading, this currency allows you to buy higher level ships and upgrades. You earn it normally in game, though.

Posted: Feb 8th 2011 4:02PM SocksForYou said

Gonna have to check this out. Is there any depth beyond pew pew? I mean, can you craft or engage in trade for spacebucks, etc.?

Posted: Feb 8th 2011 4:22PM Kasen said

Shouldn't the title of this article state that this is an open beta? When you go to the home page it states still Beta at the top of the screen and in the forums it shows an announcement for open beta that starts today.....am I missing something.

Posted: Feb 8th 2011 6:39PM Birk said

Ahhh Beta.

Loaded up the game, blew up a training ship, and then I disappear into space and lose my UI.

-Birk