Posted: Feb 9th 2011 1:11PM Lenn said

Multiplayer still doesn't mean "must group". As for why an MMO is still multiplayer without grouping up, I have already given a few examples. You may choose to ignore them, but that doesn't mean they're not true.

I generally have no patience for grouping in an MMO because it requires being dependent on others. Many a time I got into groups in WoW, only to have to wait for an hour until the other group members were done with whatever it was they were doing. Don't come to me and say "let's go do UBRS" only for me to sit at the entrance like the obedient little dog I am while you finish your quests, or do your repairs, or walk your dog, or your grandmother, or have dinner, etc.

And don't even get me started on raiding.
"Where's Uberpaladin?"
"He just texted. Stuck at work."
"But it's 8.30. We should have started at 8. Where's Uber's replacement?"
"His mom just told him to first do his homework."

However, that doesn't mean I don't engage in the myriad of other "social" activities an MMO can provide.

Being social in an MMO =/= grouping for dungeons/raids.

Posted: Feb 10th 2011 12:30AM N620AA said

@Lenn

I don't get it, then. Plenty of games out there provide plenty of single-player oriented content. WoW, for instance, lets you play from levels 1 to 85 without speaking to a soul if you're so inclined. But there is going to be content that is for groups. Very few games are group-exclusive, there is simply content that is because it would make no damn sense any other way.

For instance, would it make sense for a poor sod to march into UBRS and single-handedly dispatch legions of Orcs? No. Therefore, that content requires a group when it's level-appropriate. If you don't want to group, you have plenty of other stuff to do. including outleveling the instance so you can solo it. There are achievements, pet collecting, crafting professions... killing the most dangerous things in the game is not something a single person can do, and it should not be.

Posted: Feb 10th 2011 8:04AM Marklar19 said

@N620AA

I agree with your latest post 100%

Posted: Feb 9th 2011 4:13PM Hockster said

These posts are more active than the game is now. You have to solo just because of the extremely low populations. Or at least on the asmo side.

Posted: Feb 10th 2011 10:50AM nomore7734 said

My two concerns with the social aspect of MMO gaming:

1) Unreliabliity of other people. Does anyone have the same schedule as you? How many people do? Do YOU work at a job that has set hours every day? Good for you. I do not, and probably will not for the foreseeable future. That means that if I'm paying a subscription to play a game, and i want to spend time playing that game at say.. 3am on a tuesday, but all the content I need to do requires at least 10 people? I'm pretty much screwed when it comes to my IRL friends who play the game. So how about a PUG? No thank you. While it can be fun sometimes, and sometimes the people you will play with are tollerable, for the most part that is just not the case. There's also time limiting problems like this: I have 2 hours to play a game, the content I want to do requires about 1.5 hours. I get a PUG group in say 15 minutes.. and then spend the next hour helping them get set up for it, or wiping and running back, and now I have to quit too, and essentially nothing was accomplished. 2 hours of my time is VERY VALUABLE to me, and I can't entrust it to random people who may very well not be reliable.

Well okay, it's maybe one big reason rather than 2. My time is limited to play any game, and it feels like a waste for me to pay for a subscription to a game where weeks, litterally WEEKS can go by and I've accomplished practically nothing. This is partially group restrictive content, and also grind and random drop restrictive content as well, though they usually stem from one another.