Posted: Feb 7th 2011 3:50PM PaterFrog said

I suspect these things depend on a lot more than age.
How long has old-timer A been playing, compared to youngster B?
If they've been playing for the same time, the youngster will likely outstrip the oldster. Unless oldster has natural talent for hand-eye coordination and youngster is just sub-par.
If old-timer has been playing a long time and has aquired a patience and endurance according to his age, he will, with his experience, likely step-for-step dismantle the younger player, unless oldster has no talent on the PC and youngster goes full powah.
Then there is also the question what kind of game it is? In WoW, prolly anybody has a chance if they are serious about it. More action oriented games like DCUO (was that how it was spelled? I don't think so, but I can't quite remember the name) will most obviously play against the declining reaction times of the elder.

Posted: Feb 7th 2011 7:33PM DarkWalker said

Chess, by it's very nature, is a PvP game; one where young top players are few :)

It really depends. Every games measures different skill sets. If the skill set for a specific game favors the ones that degrade with age, such as reaction time, fine motor skills, hearing, and sight, it will favor young players; if it favors skills that take a longer time to develop and degrade more slowly, such as scenario evaluation, logic, planing, etc, older players might have an edge.

And even if one age group does have an edge, it does not mean someone of the handicapped age groups can't be a good player. He will probably be unable to become a top player, true, but it should be quite possible for him to rise above the common players.

Posted: Feb 7th 2011 9:13PM real65rcncom said

" After all, in an arena where QUICK THINKING, aggressiveness and lightning reflexes are the keys to victory, it stands to reason that YOUNGER PLAYERS have the NATURAL ADVANTAGE."
------------------------------
Wow.

Just.

Wow.

Posted: Feb 7th 2011 10:51PM Nhoj1983 said

Ummm... no... I mean I do have an advantage over some who've never played a game in their life before at 27 but I know as many, if not more than, great older pvpers as opposed to the teens.. and I'm not saying just 30+ I'm talking into the 50s.

PvP really favors those that practice at it.. and don't think you don't need it... the really great ones go as far as to know popular rotations for other classes.. know when to react to this or that. Like anything though there will be those naturally better at something than others. Also set up really does add something.. get a mouse where you can bind keys.. not to mention a lot of other options available.

When you are set up to succeed you have a much better chance to succeed. This is a truth in RL as it is in games... go into an interview with shorts and a t shirt and you will likely not get the job.

Then again... pvp isn't everything.. if it's something you want to get good at you probably will if you don't care? There's nothing forcing you to set foot onto a battlefield. Some games really do set the balance of the game to those with the best gear... in other words more time... honestly if it were purely twitch I'd expect to find a much more even playing ground.

Posted: Feb 8th 2011 11:56AM ImperialPanda said

I was diamond rank 1 in the first few 1-2 months of SC launch, until I got bored of it. So it's not like I'm bad at PvP or anything. But I hate PvP in MMOs because:

1: It's boring, PvP in RTS and (I imagine) FPS are far superior.

2: MMOs are social games, and I find that playing cooperatively is much more rewarding socially.

Posted: Feb 10th 2011 1:22AM wjowski said

PVP is a game for the douchebag.

Leaderboard: Which dead MMO is your favorite?

Posted on Jul 30th 2014 12:00PM

The Daily Grind: Do you prize MMO stability?

Posted on Jul 30th 2014 8:00AM