Posted: Feb 7th 2011 8:13AM suicideking89 said

• 1 heart
Buttons.

You push them. Stuff happens on-screen. Age doesn't factor into it unless you have rheumatoid arthritis or something.

What separates the good from the bad is the willingness to study and find ways to do things better. It helps to challenge other good players and maybe steal a move or a setup that they like. It's also important that people who pvp understand their opponents and what moves their opponents have at their disposal, in order to counter. As opposed to being carried by better players, which is what 75% of some people are doing.

Posted: Feb 7th 2011 9:16AM JuliusSeizure said

@suicideking89

Right. Everyone has totally the same potential at everything and if they don't succeed it's because they don't try hard enough.

Sounds like the typical nonsensical attitude spouted by a product of contemporary American culture. Treating everyone like they're equally special has the jarring side-effect of dulling compassion for anyone who struggles at something. If anyone can do anything, but they're not making it in something, then they're just being lazy, right?

Truth is, everybody is different and that's fine. There's a variety of factors for why, age among them, that combine in unique ways for every single person. And one of the things about aging is that starting as early as 30, the human mind does start thinking slower. It's not all bad, as older people can think much deeper than when they were young. Still, it's there. It's real.

Posted: Feb 7th 2011 10:48AM suicideking89 said

@Tempes Magus

Nobody is trolling. You disagree with me, in a very immature way. My original post was aimed at no one person. Yet here you are, calling me names and trying to support your tenuous position with name-calling and caricatures. Rate me down, it matters not one iota if you do. What matters in the long run is that you are unable to read and digest an opposing opinion without losing your cool.

Posted: Feb 7th 2011 11:13AM (Unverified) said

@suicideking89
You didn't present it as an opinion.
Try reading your original piece again. It seems very confrontational and pompous. "Here's the truth!" - not "this is my opinion".

Of course, I could just be misreading it.
After all, I am reaching the middle part of my expected life cycle, and let me tell you: I feel several effects, that I associate to getting older. Quick-thinking is harder, and reacting to fast-paced situations, such as PvP, does often cause me to make mistakes I wouldn't do if I had time to think it through. - In other words, reaction time and quick decisions are becoming harder in my opinion, and I don't see the argument against those having a deciding impact on performance in PvP.

Yes, we're "just" pushing buttons, but some people can push the right ones faster than other people can find out which ones are the right ones.

Age does matter, as I see it.

Posted: Feb 7th 2011 1:09PM cored said

@suicideking89

Suicideking and his detractors are both right...but suicideking is more right.

Reflexes slow with age, but in most people, it's not dramatic until you're pretty old. I mean, by older gamers," we're talking about, say, 30's and 40's, maybe 50's, versus players in their teens right? If we're talking about 90-year-olds, then yeah, reflexes are probably a pretty critical issue.

The real reason teenagers are pwning faces, is they can play 24/7, and older people have to be able to go to work the next day.

That said, I love me some PvP...and I'm one of those older gamers.

Posted: Feb 8th 2011 1:36PM mechanicalturk said

@cored

Agreed. Expendable time is always the most important factor of the age equation for me. I always roll on PVP servers, but need to manage how much time I spend slugging it out in PVP versus progressing my characters. It's all about the repetition.

Posted: Feb 7th 2011 8:25AM Bartlebe said

The strength of youth or the wisdom of age?

Keep your lightning reflexes and aggressiveness. Older MMO players are generally nicer, more mature, cultivate better communities and can do more than just faceroll buttons.

I'll take the older crowd any day of the week.

Posted: Feb 7th 2011 8:26AM grimmlock said

Depends on the game you are playing. If it is a twitch game, like your average FPS, then youth will beat age every day of the week.

If we are talking PVP in EVE Online, then experience will beat everything except for dumb luck.

Posted: Feb 7th 2011 8:27AM Azzura said

I dont think I can ever learn to PVP...but Im old. If I am playing my X class and I meet Y class...they kick my butt. SO then I will hop on Y class and run into an X....they kick my butt :)

Im a clicker - and will always be a clicker which equals never being good at PvP.

Posted: Feb 7th 2011 8:44AM pcgneurotic said

I think its less about youthful players having better reflexes than older players not giving a damn any more. Young people are generally more keen to 'prove' themselves, whereas older people are usually more comfortable with themselves and their skills.

I have to ask though: Is their a difference between MMOG PvP and any online FPS game? Is the difference not only in how one's reflexes are tested? i.e. in an FPS, it's more about instant hand-eye, see the thing, move the mouse, click. In an MMOG PvP game, it's more like, see the thing, decide which of ten buttons to press, move the mouse to the button, click it, yadda yadda yadda yadda yadda..... Does this make a difference then?

Posted: Feb 7th 2011 8:49AM pcgneurotic said

@pcgneurotic

*there

Posted: Feb 7th 2011 8:51AM JuliusSeizure said

@pcgneurotic

Any seriously competitive PvPer in -typical- MMOs will use keybinds for abilities and use the mouse for character movement. Also, with practice there's very little decision making and more simple instant reaction to a situation with the approriate response. It's a bit more active and fast paced than you're implying, though not to the level of an FPS, no.

Posted: Feb 7th 2011 8:45AM JuliusSeizure said

At 29, I don't think my age is quite advanced enough to affect my capacity for PvP. It certainly wasn't when I first got into MMOs at the tender age of 23. No, my problems are latency (insert pithy comment about Australian internet) and motivation. I'm not interested in pissing contests, and the games I've played that have PvP which is entertaining on a cerebral level haven't held me for other reasons.

Posted: Feb 7th 2011 8:49AM oGGe said

I was pretty bad at pvp back in the day I played UO and 13 years later I'm still not very good, been playing DAoC and WAR.

Surround yourself by players that are good and you will become better, if you sit around all day crafting or just killing random mobs you will not get any better that's for sure.

I'm closing in on my 36th birthday.

Posted: Feb 7th 2011 8:53AM xBludx said

I'm 44 and I often come out on top of the leaderboards for Quake Live. I think it's pretty much twitch-based. But I sucked at Darkfall. I don't know if it was stats or what, but Darkfall is a lot more complicated UI-wise than Quake. And I know a lot of competitive pvp-ers use game pads and stuff, which I don't. So I don't know.

Posted: Feb 7th 2011 9:38AM xBludx said

@Tempes Magus

Yeah, I know. I've got nothing against them. I've just been too lazy get one. I live in a foreign country now where they aren't that common. I can't just run down to Circuit City and get one. I have to ask around - lol. I'm sure I could get one in a day or two. So, I've been too lazy.

Posted: Feb 7th 2011 9:17AM Aardvarkk said

It depends on the game. Team Fortress 2 and Warhammer Online seem to be more ... I dunno, balanced when it comes to PvP. Even the Wintergrasp PvP in Warcraft, they all have a large element of fun for me. If I enjoy the PvP then I'll be more likely to invest time and energy into it.

Posted: Feb 7th 2011 9:18AM Avernus said

I'm 35. I tend to win in PvP a lot more than I loose in MMOs or FPSs. Maybe when I'm older my reaction time will suffer, right now I'm in great physical shape and still skateboard etc.

Clicking buttons with the mouse? That is not PvP, that is getting farmed. I wondered why I do so well in PvP, i'm fighting people with input challenges.

Posted: Feb 7th 2011 9:22AM TitusGroan said

It all depends on the game. In heavily gear- and level-based games, most people own others simply by having more advanced characters. Those that have played the longest, or have done the most severe grinding, will always have the upper hand.

In twitch-based games, it's more about reflexes and environmental awareness. And of course, internet connection, hardware, the game's overall perfomance etc - the slightest lag in a such a game usually means you're dead meat.

For example, I play Mortal Online regularly, and the combat in that game is purely based on twitch, manual aim and positioning. However, since the game's mechanics are so faulty, and since I don't play on the nuclear reactor-driven computer required for the game, I usally get stuttering, lag and weird interpolation when PvPing. Which ofc means I don't perform as well in combat as those with top-notch computers, or those lucky enough to not suffer from server lag/interpolation issues, etc in that particular fight.

Of course, my eye-hand reaction time might be a bit slower than a 20 year old's (I'm 33), but I don't think that has more severe an impact than lag and fucked up mechanics.

Posted: Feb 7th 2011 9:22AM Fusjon said

Age has nothing to do with it, experience is the key to success (well that and actual born with talent). I've been gaming since the old amstrads / atari's etc., and I've only gotten better over the years. I'm not amazing for sure but if I go back to Unreal Tournament and the like for a blast, I'll suck for an hour or two, then I'll be dominating the scoreboards as well, if not better than I did 10 years ago.

True I'm only 27 which quite possibly isn't the sort of age you're referring to, but I have friends who are 10+ years older than me who would kick my arse in a heartbeat.

I suppose it's what you're brought up on. A 30+ year old for example who has never really gamed at all in his/her life, but has decided to give "this warcraft thing" a try is bound to suck at PvP... They'll most likely stand in the fire too.