Posted: Feb 8th 2011 2:25AM DancingCow said

These kinds of "loyalty" rewards are one of the things I positively loathe about CoH.

Posted: Feb 8th 2011 7:58AM SiML said

With a heavy heart I agree, Its boring and smacks of them having to meet a subscription target for a period because of the NCSoft bean-counters.
Whats so special about the period February 14th until April 18th anyway?.

Posted: Feb 8th 2011 12:15PM Luk said

@SiML
I believe Rift is launching in March so COH got to counter that somehow.
COH is probably hurting right now due to DCUO release and CO F2P conversion. There is 1 too many superhero MMO on the market right now and it is time to cut the fat. Also, after playing CO silver for a week I can see it as a very valid alternative to COH, because F2P CO feels almost like vanilla COH, and as a COH veteran I can see the appeal in getting almost COH-like experience for free with totally new content, since I have experience more than 90% of what COH had to offer already.

Posted: Feb 8th 2011 1:00PM SiML said

@Luk

Ahh RIFT huh?.

Well, I hope Paragon studios thinks of some good stuff to come up with for future super-boosters and expansions because If you think the market is crowded now - wait till Marvel Univerese Online makes things even tighter in 2012, and they've scrimpted together $60 Million+ for that development so far.

Posted: Feb 8th 2011 4:55PM DancingCow said

@Luk

I can't see DCUO competing with CoH. It's not awful but the very limited power options and most of them being so poor make it seem very limited by comparison.

Though I agree with you on CO. I resubbed to check out the changes and while I don't think they're quite there yet, they have fixed a lot of problems in the last 6 months. It is approaching the point where it's a viable alternative to CoH, especially for people who've already played CoH to death.

The F2P version is fairly generous and ironically is immune to some of the problems the full version suffers from.

But the appropriate response to competition isn't cheap bribery with meaningless trinkets - it's making your product better.

Posted: Feb 9th 2011 12:33PM Stormwalker said

@Luk Why would Paragon give a crap about RIFT? They're not in the same genre.

Posted: Feb 9th 2011 8:25PM Luk said

@Stormwalker
They both MMOs and look at the latest animal pack and see where COH is going with that. Just because COH is superhero MMO and not fantasy it still competes with other MMOs for the subs, there are only so many sub MMOs besides WOW that have survived the test of time. RIFT will put a dent in that as well. Just my 2 cents, so either that or they want to ensure that DCUO players will come back to COH in order to get rewards instead of subscribing for $10 per month, although I doubt that will work.

Betawatch: December 13 - 19, 2014